Caravan trip to Tasmania

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:22
ThreadID: 10051 Views:1885 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone

We are looking at a caravan trip to Tasmania (from Qld) in September this year. I would be interested in any feedback about road conditions, weather (likelihood of snow for eg?), the standard of caravan parks or any other advice anybody would like to offer.

Thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Synergist - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:36

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:36
Howdy,

Sounds like your doing the opposite to most of the people i know in Tas, and thats going to Tas rather then going to QLD to escape the cold. I lived in Tas for a while and i think that the chance of snow would be fairly slim (could be wrong).

As the old saying goes... Tassie- beautiful place to visit, prick of a place to live!

And as you will be visiting i think you will love it!
AnswerID: 44468

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:47

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:47
I usually find snow in the usual places in Sept. Royce www.funshow.com.au
FollowupID: 306729

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:06

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:06
Annev, lived in tassie for quite a few years, september can still be a very cool month, especially mornings or early evening, snow and some ice may well be possible in the higher regions, especially through the central highlands throughout the lakes areas, still a great time to visit though, spring is beautiful in tassie, I have returned a few times with the family and travelled around the island extensively staying mostly in caravan parks, found them to be well catered for, road conditions vary considerably around the state, the main roads and highways are fine, the more you venture away from these roads the more interesting the trip and also the roads, tassies roads can be very winding in a lot of places and also steep, some of the roads can be a bit skinny but on the whole, all of it is very accessible and a very diversified land scape, allow a good 3 weeks to see it n,s,e, and west, the scenery will change dramatically, i have seen quite a bit of aussie and i really belive tassie is one of the most beautiful places i have lived, visited and toured, you won't regret it. regards, Adrian.i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
AnswerID: 44470

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:14
Nice car Ace good colour choice tooRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306786

Reply By: Member - Roger - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:39

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:39
You will find that the van parks are of the same quality as the mainland.
They do not have roads in Taz only corners so you will get to know your van plate really well. It certainly has some specky scenery and I am sure that your camera will get a work out. Also the fishing is pretty good. All in all you will enjoy your stay. Take lots of warm clothes. There are also lots of cheap n easy campsites to be had if you try by you must be self sufficient regards heat and power.
Regards,Dodg
AnswerID: 44488

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:03
Snow is possible nearly all year round(not usually huge dumps of the stuff).We live near the base of the Western Tiers in the north of the state and have had two snow falls on the Tiers since Christmas.Take it easy on the roads down the West Coast as they are narrow and windy and alot of tourists come to grief down there.
AnswerID: 44505

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:52

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:52
I'm up to tour eighteen of Tassie this year. I have driven big campervans and cruisers with camp trailers. It's lovely. One thing that you will find different though, is the small road-side verges. It is very difficult to find a good pull-off spot. There are hardly any road-side stops either. Apart from the major round and through roads they are fairly narrow, sometimes steep and often windy. I mean winding around bends! But now that I think of it... September seems to be the wettests and windiest month.... particularly on the West coast. Consider staying at cabins rather than towing. I think you could have more fun and the cost is not so bad depending on how long you are staying for. If you are pretty well off, bed and breakfast venues are popping up all over.

Enjoy Tassie... I'll be there in June/July......... there will be snow then!

CheersRoyce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 44578

Sponsored Links