Camping at Robe

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:29
ThreadID: 100510 Views:2150 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had some up-to-date recommendations on the best camping spots around Robe/Beachport? I'm heading down there with a couple of young kids and want to try to avoid any noisy spots/over-used sites/dirt-bike riders(sorry to generalise!) etc.

Thanks,

Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:09

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:09
G'day Greg, great spot, and I love the dune / beach driving down there . . . if you go on a regular weekend, you should encounter fewer vehicles / bikes.
Run a sand flag as a precaution, as these dunes can be quite dangerous for head ons.

There are a couple of camps just south of Beachport, but I'll run through the ones north of there, back to Robe.

Beachport - there's 3 Mile Bend, a nice area just into the cons pk, to the left after you drive past the toilet block / water tank, you'll find some small but sheltered sites in the trees, but there aren't many.
Rooney Point is just a bit further along that road past 3 Mile.

Now, nothing official between there and Little Dip CP, but there are plenty of nice open spots adjacent the back dune tracks that you can bush camp quietly.

Little Dip Cons Pk - Old Man Lake, another nice sheltered site. Have stayed here when the water's a bit low, and there can be midges after dark.

Long Gully, probably my preferred campsite of the ones I've used in LDCP.

The Gums and Stoney Rise. I haven't ventured up to these on my drives through there, but I imagine they'd be quite nice spots too.

Take a look at this publication, it's brilliant for planning on the Coorong through to Canunda . . .
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.environment.sa.gov.au%2Ffiles%2F37db270b-7785-4f16-8c3a-9e4f00b3eb45%2FCOOR_PDFS_TATTLER.pdf&ei=Y_MZUbjdCo72mAW6-YGgBg&usg=AFQjCNFm0J-T0jEPoU3hY5u-R9ob6G9Ljg&bvm=bv.42261806,d.dGY

Do you have the 2 maps / track notes for the drive form Beachport to Robe ?
AnswerID: 504611

Follow Up By: greg_hilux - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:57

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:57
Thanks a lot for the tips Les - much appreciated.

I had heard about the midgies at Old Man Lake - given the kids we might avoid that; is Rooney Point the same therefore?

I know a big group heading to Long Gully, so I might either join them or head to Stoney Rise.

Thanks again Les.
FollowupID: 781461

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:20

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:20
I haven't had those probs at 3 Mile Bend so Rooneys shoud be fine.
3 Mile wold be my choice down that end, and Long Gully (or check out The Gums or Stoney). Long Gully is a very large area, I like the area to the right if it's free, a big group will either take the large areas to the left or right, then there's room for individuals or smaller groups on the track to the right befroe the large open areas.

This is a good long day drive no probs, but 2 days is much better to allow time for beach recoveries and checking out the side tracks and time on the beaches with the kids, fish, etc.
FollowupID: 781485

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:55

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:55
The local 4wd club has a couple of excellent mud maps of the whole area available free at the tourist information centres. A really excellent place to explore. Some of the beaches are super soft so keep your wits about you as it is an expensive rescue.
AnswerID: 504638

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:22

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:22
Yes, indeed the map / track notes are brilliant.
There are links online to download these, so if anyone want these let me know and I can track them down and post here.

They are pretty small in A4, A3 is better to read, but if you've got good eyes you should scrape through with A4.
FollowupID: 781486

Follow Up By: greg_hilux - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46
Thanks for the input guys.

I've downloaded both trek notes (Robe-Nora and Beachport-Nora) - I assume all these tracks are still open (I had heard rumours about closure of some of the Beachport-Nora sections).
FollowupID: 781508

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 16:45

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 16:45
There are some little detours, but in the main very easy to follow.
Just keep the big blue thing on your left (if going north).
Better to go north the way the notes are written, at least the first time. It's only half an hour drive down the blacktop from Robe to Beachworth.

Don't venture into the buggy club unless you get their permission, they have events from time to time, and the vehicles go fast and go over those dunes without warning.
Contact club secretary Wayne Scott home ph 08 8725 2974.

Warning, there are massive dunes in here, and unless you take them right, they could cause problems / damage, etc.
Plus getting stuck in there, it could be a while before someone happens along.

Otherwise, the marked 4wd track is easy going, some of the beaches can be very soft (Erringtons and Little Dip are always the worst), just run down to 15 or 14 psi and you should have no probs.
FollowupID: 781534

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 16:51

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 16:51
Beachport, not Beachworth :/
FollowupID: 781535

Sponsored Links