diff=locks

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 18:02
ThreadID: 100514 Views:2577 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
thinking of installing diff locks into my hilux twin cab. I'm mainly in the desert regions of victoria Sandsmere, Telopea Downs area. Is it beneficial only to install a front diff lock as the rear is lsd or should i need to do both. Any thoughts shall be of benifit
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:00
If your LSD is good just go for a locker in the front. If you then have issues you can always then replace the rear LSD with a Detroit softlocker (as you are part time 4wd you could consider a Detroit in the front) - Detroits are half to price of others if you source overseas (US).

Garry
AnswerID: 504609

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:16

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:16
Not convinced diff locks are actually required in that country Garry. I'd be directing the funds towards suspension & tyres 1st & if you have that done then I'd say you're well covered for the sandy & clay covered tracks in your region.
Generally speaking offroad the Hilux LSD is useless so most Toyota ownwers install lockers in the rear 1st.
Cheers Craig...................
AnswerID: 504613

Follow Up By: garry r - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:02

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:02
thanks for the info. May be i'm going overboard but being of age with a disability and travelling on my own, i rather be safer than sorry. I need to be able to rescue my self from most situations. Call me stubborn - but thats me.
FollowupID: 781543

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:33

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:33
Been driving around those areas for over 30 yrs & never needed diff locks.

Adjust your tyre pressures according to the weather & terrain & you will be fine.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 504614

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:15

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:15
I've never run diff locks in my 35 years. Still there are probably 2 occasions when I wished I'd had them ;-)
AnswerID: 504627

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:23

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:23
Do you have a winch.

I would recommend a rear diff lock over a front as the Toyota's have a very sad LSD in the rear.
AnswerID: 504629

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:50

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 06:50
What happened to the other post about auto lockers and hilux's and ADD systems? He was right.

The ADD disconnects the left axle making the hilux 2wd, and the diff allows only the right axle to spin constantly.
Insert an auto locker, and when the car is in 2wd, the front tailshaft, diff and rhs axle will be constantly dragged around by the front rhs wheel.

This leads to fuel use, wear, and in my case pressurisation of the transfer leading to the failure of the front output shaft seal.

My hilux was a model before yours and the base model came with manual hubs, so they were easy enough to find. I have no clue if any of the new lux's will even take manual hubs, but they are the answer if you are looking at an auto locker.

A diff lock in the front end of any ifs vehicle will pretty much double its offroad ability. Towing through cuttings and chopped up tracks, lockers will deliver more traction to an ifs vehicle every time. Necessary in desert country? No, but certainly better to have them rather than not.
AnswerID: 504649

Reply By: Member - hopbush - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:29

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:29
Contrary to some comments, the rear LSD in my 2005 hilux is excellent so I put an air locker in the front only, about 4 years ago. I am not entirely convinced of the efficiency of diff locks in sand but used properly it probably helps ease the car over dunes without chopping them up or placing unnecessary strain on the transmission or suspension.......although the car is harder to steer, particularly on switchbacks or sharp turns in soft sand but Diff locks certainly have benefits in many other types of terrain.
Whilst most of my travel is in desert country and usually solo, it gives added peace of mind and I believe my decision was the right one and I would do it again.
Remember also, that if you put an air locker in the rear you lose whatever LSD capability you ever had.
By the way, I have never had a problem with my air locker.
Tony (hopbush)
AnswerID: 504651

Reply By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:41

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:41
I had a hilux (you don't say what model you own ??) but my rear LSD was useless. I had it redone and again by 40 thou it had lost its bite. You cant go past a patrol or mitis pajero for a good LSD, personally reckon there the best. I would certainly go for a rear locker. There is always talk of which to go first but if you owned a patrol then I would leave the LSD (like most do) and run a front locker, been a toyo Id be putting in the rear first. I think of it this way. If your facing uphill when you want the traction the rear is what will dig into the ground while it naturally will be trying to lift the front end, so might as well put the locker where the wheels will be trying to grip. Just my theory on it..........Cheers
AnswerID: 504683

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 19:11

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 19:11
Garry

If you do decide to go for lockers, then look at the Harrap E Locker.

I have had ARB airlockers in the front and rear diffs on my Troopy for 10 yrs now with no problems, however the E-locker has arrived on the After Market shelves an is a much better option in my opinion.

Regards

DD
AnswerID: 504685

Sponsored Links