Air compressors?

I'm in the market for a portable air compressor that can pump up my AT tyres when I'm going back on the sealed roads. I only go out to those type of roads a few times per year so I don't mind if it's a little slow as long as it works well.

Everything I've looked at is a bit too pricey for something I'm only going to use only a few times a year. I've seen some stuff on eBay for around $75 but I'm not sure if they are any good.

Any suggestions?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 23:24

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 23:24
Bushranger make a black football shaped compressor that is about the best value in the small compressor market at $99 ish dollars. Can run for hours, it isn't fast but it is reliable.
AnswerID: 504702

Reply By: Candace S. - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:12

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:12
Not sure how much it would cost to get one in Oz, but here's the one I use:

MV-50 air compressor

Though there are a number of negative reviews for it on Amazon, this compressor was highly recommended to me by all the four-wheeling folks I asked. They said it was the best option if I wasn't planning to install a heavier-duty compressor in my engine compartment. (I really don't think there's room in my Nissan for one!)

I have to admit I first looked at it and thought it was just another cheaply-made import from a certain country. But I trusted the judgment of those recommending it, and it has served me well for a couple of years now.

As for speed, I've never really timed it precisely but I'd estimate 7 or 8 minutes to bring each of my 265 75 16 BFG All Terrain TA's from about 15 up to 40 psi.

The hose that comes with it has a screw-on chuck for your tire that (at least on mine) eventually started binding. I simply built my own hose using a nice press-on chuck.
AnswerID: 504706

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 08:38

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 08:38
Hi Philby,
I have had one of those ebay compressors for a few years now and I am very pleased with it. It is the single head unitLike this one.

I have no experience with the dual head compressors so cannot speak for them, however if the compressor has a dual head it will use considerably more amps to operate. It will also do the job quicker so that is the positive side of the trade off.

I paid $75 for my single head unit about 2 or 3 years ago so they have come down in price.

Hope this helps, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504708

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35
If you can wait several months until they come up again, the ALDI $99 compressor is both cheap and fast.
It is visually identical to the Dr Air compressor that won the 4WD Action compressor comparison and is rated 150L per minute.
I have one and it is IMHO excellent.
Regards Philip A.
AnswerID: 504716

Follow Up By: patsproule - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 16:39

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 16:39
Ditto re the Aldi one. Mine is awesome!
FollowupID: 781605

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 13:47

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 13:47
I have a ebay $75 twin compressor (150l/min) compressor that I bought a couple of years ago. The compressor itself works fine inflating a 35" tyre from flat to 35psi in 5 minutes - however the wiring does get hot so is probably a lower spec than it should be and the switch has melted twice so I have removed it. The unit itself has a thermal cutout that has never cut in and the unit has never got real hot.

However other than this (which I have overcome) it works well for the price.

Garry
AnswerID: 504732

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 17:29

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 17:29
ABR Sidewinder compressor. Tough to beat, out classed most of the "best" in a side by side comparison
FollowupID: 781615

Reply By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:58

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:58
Do a search in the blogs there are some reviews in there.

If your off road a lot spend some money and get a decent one. Just because a compressor runs for a long time doesn't mean it's a good compressor. It may run without cutting out because there are no thermal protections actually installed.

We have found that about 30% ot the people will buy on price alone, 30% will buy on name brand and the remainder will swing accross the range looking for a product that is value for money. Value for money is more than simply price.

Most 72l/min compressors will pump around the spec rate free to air, same with 150/160lpm. The difference will be how consisitant it is, and under load is it doing the job easily or working really hard. Just because they look similar or the same on the outside doesnt mean the are the same on the inside, or manufactured to the same spec.

AnswerID: 504780

Reply By: Philby - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:09

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:09
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up with a Bushranger Black Max which I got a ripper deal on
AnswerID: 504945

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 23:27

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 23:27
On several occasions whilst pumping up my tyres I have been approached by people who rarely use their compressors so bought a cheap one. Now faced with 4 tyres around 15psi and no way of getting back on the road (always seems to be the beach) due to compressor failure. There are some things not worth compromising on. I was at White Hills (south of Perth) 4 weeks ago and approached by a driver of a new 200. He had been on the side of the track in 40+ heat trying to inflate his tyres he asked for help. On inspection there was nothing wrong with his compressor but as it was an 18LPM plug into the 12V cigarette point. It was constantly cutting out. He then went on to say that it’s always slow but the heat “kills it” but as he doesn’t use it often it’s not worth getting a better one. My answer to him was put it inside the car where the temp was lower (aircon). I then went back to inflating mine (ARB twin) He approached me again and said I was the first person that hasn’t helped him blow up his tyres!
In short everything we carry needs to be fit for purpose. Mine is overkill but after having two tyres bead on a VERY soft section of beach I prefer to be prepared.
CF
AnswerID: 504970

Sponsored Links