railway

there is a mention in todays age, green pages , that the west coast wilderness railway in tassie is closing down on april 30,what a shame, bye barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:56

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:56
Barry, The great Zig Zag railway near Lithgow NSW has already gone, due to lack of revenue.

Its a sad fact that these things cost a lot of money to run, due in no small part to soaring insurance premiums.

What do they do? raise fares to compensate & die a slow death because of reduced patronage due to high fares, or just close down and minimise their losses that way.

Fact remains the world is a sadder place due to high insurance policies forcing these situations.

The bad guys have won.
AnswerID: 504755

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:08

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:08
There is a petition on the Zig Zag site. You and any others are welcome to sign it.

They may get going again. Who knows.

Phil
FollowupID: 781670

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:13

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:13
Whoops. I forgot the link.

The petition is on the home page for the Zig Zag Railway at: Zig Zag Railway

Phil
FollowupID: 781673

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:21

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:21
Hi Barry

Having enjoyed considerably a trip on this train I was saddened at it's imminent demise. A lot of Aussies and other tourists are going to miss a great historical trip in the Tassy wilderness.

Pure Tasmania, the current operators, told me that the railway's infrastructure is in need of maintenance and there are no government commitment for these, now or in the future.

They have reluctantly decided to not renew their lease of the rail system.

It will be a sad loss.

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504794

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:10

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:10
A sad thing indeed, Woodsy. Having enjoyed this trip in 2011, one
must wonder at the future of Tassie tourism. To lose what must be one of the best one day tourist trains in the world is a huge loss.
I suppose this is a reflection of increased costs & maybe lower
patronage.
We felt for Tassie at the time...For Sale signs on damn near everything, including caravan parks & small country businesses.
We spoke to many retirees whos dream had burst in Tassie & were
going back to the mainland.
I dont have any answers, its all very depressing.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 781697

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 13:04

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 13:04
The upkeep of the line must be extremely high. The day we went, the section from the top to Strahan was closed by trees across the tracks. Also while we were in Tas a tree fell on one of the cars and there were land slips closing the line.
It will be a big pity if it does close.
FollowupID: 781713

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 09:02

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 09:02
An item from todays news - link here - suggests that the may be light at the end of the tunnel (excuse the pun). Maybe a good outcome from an election year.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505491

Sponsored Links