Great Ocean Road

Hi Guys
Wife and I and dog, heading off from Albany at the end of the month.
Plan at present is to revisit Streaky Bay SA then on to Clare, and possibly Adelaide. We did plan to follow the coast from there to do the Great Ocean Rd. then loop back through (maybe) Mildura and other towns and places on the Murray River.
However it would seem that it would be best to travel East to West on the GOR ???
Would appreciate any ideas on planning the route and suggestions of campsites (free) and good value Caravan Parks
Many thanks
Brian WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:07

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:07
When we 'did' the GOR we stayed at Peterborough for a few days and day tripped to various attractions. It does not matter which way you do it. Some of the parking areas are on the south side of the road and some on the north. It was easier doing that without having to worry about a van in tow. The light show at Warnambool, if it is still on, is worth an overnight stay somewhere on the GOR.
AnswerID: 504749

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:11

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:11
Thanks Rod
Think I read about the light show will have to follow that through , on the WEB before we go
Brian
FollowupID: 781654

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:12

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 18:12
Hi Brian,

Re the GOR: the direction that you travel will depend on whether you want to be close to the edge or not! We did it west to east and very much enjoyed the drive although we did note that it would be easier (and safer) to get into some of the stopping bays if you were going east to west. We wrote a few blogs about our trip - have a look here.
While you are in that part of the world try to have a look at The Grampians (as best you can with a dog). Our blogs (including from another trip along the Murray) will also point you to some other spots worthy of a visit.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504752

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:19

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:19
Hi Val
Will check out your blogs and also my maps on the Grampians I am feeling West to East is favoured, also wondering if I might try creating a blog of our trip
Brian
FollowupID: 781657

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 19:53

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 19:53
You have picked the best time of the year to do this. We live near it.
You must be extremely careful of overseas drivers on the wrong side of the road!!!!! Driving E to W at sunset can be a hazard with these wrong side travelers.
Fires can be a worry.
Many of the waterfalls have nice camp grounds particularly Beauchamp. Not as much water though.
The Grampians are magic but at that time of the year Very fire prone, best in Autumn.
Pt. Campbell is a nice pace to stay. Far from free
Geelong Eastern beach is good safe swimming.
Keep your dog on a leash at all times.
Apollo Bay is a lovely beach but camp sites aren't free there. I think Marengo could be. I have some paperwork I could send you but it's fairly old from Parks Vic.
Contact the Geelong tourist place & the Apollo Bay one.
Lorne is nice this time of the year too.
Enjoy.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 504764

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:28

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:28
Hi Brian

It sounds like you have a great trip planned. Depending on how much time you have off, you will have many options and places to visit.

Now for your main question.....which way on the Great Ocean Road.

We have driven it many times over the year and seen just how much it has changed. I would recommend travelling from the east to west.....why you may ask......the Lookout.

All of the Tourist Lookouts are on the coast side and some are located on blind corners. I have seen a couple of very close calls when cars travelling east have crossed the white line to pull into the Lookout, only to see a car coming around the corner and a very close call indeed.

There are many was to get there and if you wanted to follow the coast, there are many options and make your way through to the Grampians and then back roads to the start of the Great Ocean Road.

As for other areas, there are some fantastic free camping locations at the bottom end of the Yorke bleep ula and now that the children are back at school, you will have the beaches all to your self.

Here are some images of some free camps with nothing between you and the beach.

Have a great time and you will be seeing some great country.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504769

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:23

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:23
Thanks guys
Think I will print all replies and put them to good use
Thanks
Brian
FollowupID: 781659

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:26

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:26
But Stephen, if you travel West, aren't you likely to be hit by one of those East bounders crossing the line to a lookout?

I have been advised that the optimum direction depended on whether you wore BFG's or Coopers. But I could not remember which was which! So I turned the white printing to the inside so it didn't matter! LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 781675

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:58

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:58
oh
and thanks for the photos
Brian
FollowupID: 781678

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:34

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:34
Hi Allan

Another point that you missed should have been........................................you will use less fuel travelling west to east, as you are not travelling as far.....LOL, as you are on the inside of the curve and not the outside.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781681

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:46

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:46
Hi Brian

I jumped the mark with the photos. Here is a good example of what I was saying about Lookouts on blind corners. This one is Cape Patten Lookout and the photo shows it all

If you want any more photos, just ask. Also another great visit is the Ottway Fly walk.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781682

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:30

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:30
Yes Stephen, I did consider the fuel saving aspect, but then, I'm not a cheapskate and besides, I have friends in the fuel manufacturing industry. LOL

I certainly endorse the Otway Fly Treetop Walk as a great experience. There are so many points of interest along and near the GOR.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 781685

Reply By: Member - john y - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:28

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:28
Johanna Red beach is a magnificent free camp spot just off the GOR. Turn off near Lavers Hill. Dogs are O.K. Plenty of sheltered camp sites along the track that parallels the beach.New toilets have been constructed.The road into Johanna is a good graded one suitable for any size caravans.To my knowledge there are not too many free camps along the GOR,this however is as good as it gets. Regards
AnswerID: 504801

Reply By: SuperGrover - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:59

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:59
We travelled the GOR last year from East to West in a caravan and found that most of the lookouts were on the ocean side and a big bonus was that if there was faster moving traffic we could edge into the off-road parking and allow them to overtake easily without us stopping and continue on our way. This allowed us to enjoy the trip without impeding others travelling on the road. If travelling the other direction I would not have liked to continually cross the road with a caravan as many times as we stopped to admire the scenery.
AnswerID: 504838

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 00:14

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 00:14
Hi
More chats today with people I know....looks like we will change our route a little so as to travel East to West
Brian
FollowupID: 781739

Sponsored Links