2002 autoT/D Jackeroo overheating

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:07
ThreadID: 10058 Views:2065 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Today was the big day when I took my Jack back to the dealer for a 3rd time because the engine management light comes on and puts Jack into limp mode.. Now the dealer has had his magic box plugged into the car and confirmed that it is overheating. Today was the day that it was to be repaired. Guess what... no fault could be found but they did want to charge me because they could not find a fault with the vehicle despite noting that they had told me that it was overheating and the workshop foreman booked it infor the repair.... does anyone else have this problem... I mean we all have problems with Holden dealers but I mean the problem of their Jack overheating & going into limp mode? Does anyone have any clues as to how to fix it? & please dont assume that Im an idiot and am just imagining this & yes I did check the coolant level & yes I am using the Oil that the Dealer put in it last service (and that was the last service that Holden will do) Sorry I'm just so angry I'm rambling & becoming incoherrant...The woman at the service reception even asked me to calm down....dont want the other customers knowing that, they too, are being had....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:52
Rick,

Do you end up paying? A 2002 would still be under warranty assuming you have less than 100,000km up. You have every right to stand your ground and insist this is warranty work.

I have an extremely intermittent and hard to trace problem with my 2000 Jackaroo's auto trannie. Every 10 months or so, it will upshift really hard. To stop it, simply shut down for 10 seconds and restart. (You'd think Microsoft wrote the code for the management system ... if all else fails, reboot).

Anyway, seeing the dealer wasn't getting anywhere near fixing it, I have registered the problem with Holden's Customer Assistance department. It has a case number and is now being tracked through them as it first occured under warranty. They are also arranging an inspection of the vehicle through another dealer.

Try doing the same as me and make sure they know that the dealer tried to charge you for it warranty work. You can raise the request via phone or via the Holden website. Holden themselves are actually pretty helpful. Pity some of the dealers are total *****.

Sorry, can't get help you with the overheating. However, there's heaps of people on this forum with diesel know how. I'm sure some valuable suggestions will come your way.
AnswerID: 44523

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:37
Holden have appointed a case manager & given me a case number. I await further developements with eager anticipation. Maybe they will help, maybe they will do all they can to passify me... who knows. The action of a niave woman at the service desk have cost them my busness. To say there is no fault is stupid... there must have been a fault to put on the light & put the Jack into limp mode.
FollowupID: 306781

Reply By: Ridgy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 20:50
Can't comment on the problem Rick, but I fully understand your exasperation...mine is the 99 TD manual Jack with nairy an overheating problem ever, BUT I am still amazed at how dealers will act as though the couldn't give a "right royal $%#@!" if a Jack owner ever came to do their door again. I've encountered the same with my dealer and they are damned forever in my book. But, are we missing something here ? Is there some aspect of successful marketing that I've missed ? Am I silly to think that fairly priced servicing with helpful and honest liaison for warranty issues would win more customer business ? There is obviously something I don't get - it probably goes along the lines of "Holden are squeezing dealers on the financial credit they get for warranty work to the point where dealers don't want it BUT can't avoid it - so they try and pass the cost on to usORspend five minutes on a superficial remedy and wheel it out into the carpark (sound familiar?). In fact, my dealer neglected major work in a service (but still charged me - valves it was) with the intention of doing it during a recall on injector seals a week later. I twigged... called them on it too (but the outcome is another story).
The dealers don't feel bound to do a service within the handbook times schedule either. Why not ? Of course, to argue the point prior means you get a shoddy service ... they get you anyway. As you have mentioned Rick, to find them asking for $ when it was they who suggested the warranty work is just about enough for you to run amok with a meat cleaver. Take some comfort in the fact that it seems all dealers/manufacturers in this market category seem to have the same reputation - its not just your car... its not just you....its becoming normal....seems that if we take the car there, give them the keys and (gasp) sign the work order, we must be mad.Drag me away from this keyboard.
AnswerID: 44530

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:41
Yeah.... shold have bought a Land Rover... at least id have known it was a lemon to start with.
FollowupID: 306782

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:38

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:38
ooooohh....that would have really hurt...if I had ordered a Land Rover.
Playdoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 306822

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:02
Is someone from Holden the corporation reading this ?
Lets see we have the Gen iii engine problems that are blamed on anything but manufacture and now we have Jack owners who report a total disregard from the dealers when reporting problems.
Hey Holden Executives out there you better hope that we don't live by the
"three strikes your out" priciple or your on borrowed time as a market competitor.
AnswerID: 44532

Reply By: Billy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:23
Only ever had 3 problems with my '98 Petrol Jack, all caused by the dealer. 80W90 in the diff when it likes 140W, p'eed all over the driveway after towing the boat, leaking rocker cover gasket after a valve clearance check (big $, no adjustment necessary) and tranny overheat after no fluid change at scheduled interval. Great truck, forget the dealers...

Oh, there was the one problem when the corrogations on the Maryvale to Chambers road shook the interior light globe out of the mount, fixed that one myself...All aboard!
AnswerID: 44534

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:31
When I calmed down a bit I wrote to Holden Customer Assistance and they have sent me a read reciept back.... I can only hope that they still have a few unsold Jackeroos in storage because I get the sneaking suspicion that unless they solve the problem I am going to have to get very Public... placards outside the selling dealer etc..It really is a stupid way of gaining customer loyality. I am totally enthused by this car.. It is all you could want re economy, power & cumfort. Yet stupid little things like this ensure that I wont go anywhere near a Holden dealer again to buy anything. Still one should not dismiss the Customer Assistance out of hand... they may come over the hill like the Cavalry. I'm not religious - but in these circumstances prayer may help....Thank you all for yor support
AnswerID: 44590

Reply By: markaroo - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:28
Hi Rick
does the temp gauge get over to the red?Or a temp warning light come on?
My 99 petrol Jack had the red check engine light come on during a long trip and the car didnt want to rev.Turned out to be the petrol pump.Replaced it with aftermarket one as the gen one was over a $1000.The suppliers said they do alot of the skinny variation ones.

Jack owner with harsh shift.When the harsh shift happens check the display on the dash,if it's displaying anything other than what you'v put it in or if you give the T-bar a gentle wriggle and the display flickers your probably looking at a faulty inhibitor switch.I've had one and have heard of onother one as well.

All the best.
Markaroo
AnswerID: 44680

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:54

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:54
The temp gauge was at about the 2/3rds mark.... no warning light.. no indication of overheating just the "check engine "light comes on and goes into limp. Turn off the engine wait a few seconds and away we go....As has been suggested maybe Microsoft wrote the engine management code.
FollowupID: 306839

Follow Up By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:02

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:02
Yeah I had the inhibitor go on mine too and read about one in a Trooper overseas,Since its' been fixed she goes a LOT better!,smoother through teh shifts and runs better me thinks!
FollowupID: 306863

Sponsored Links