SAX Suspension

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 22:16
ThreadID: 100588 Views:11366 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
looking at fitting a new leaf suspension to our 70 series trayback. We carry a large weight on back when touring, like 1.5 ton slideon camper. Has anyone fitted a SAX suspension to their vehicle and how have you found it ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 07:53

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 07:53
If your going to chuck 1.5 tons on the back your going to be way over the capacity of the Landcruiser...... 1200Kg plus a bit is about it, chuck the other 4x4 gear on and include passengers and fuel and your nudging easily 500Kg plus over weight.

What you need to do first is get a complied legal GVM increase.

I take it your have already done the sums and your aware of this.

Why do you want to go to SAX for your suspension.
AnswerID: 504909

Follow Up By: REV'S - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:36

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:36
Hi olcoolone
Thank for your reply and concern. All ok the vehicle has been lengthened 600mm and gvm upgrade 500 kg to carry a slideon, when new 5yrs ago. And fitted with tough dog shocks. Now need the springs upgraded as the current are beginning to sag.
FollowupID: 781802

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:05

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:05
You may want to check your GVM upgrade requirements as you may need to stick with particular suspension components for your GVM certification to be valid?
FollowupID: 781806

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:45
It helps if you tell the whole story...... the best leaf packs to get would be a set of custom made ones to suit your requirement, any good spring works should be able to help you.

The problem with of the shelf spring sets is they are designed to suit a range of applications.

When we had our Hilux we went through 2 different spring packs before getting some made to suit our requirements, the custom made ones left the others for dead.

FollowupID: 781816

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:35

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:35
Hello Rev's
I do agree with Olcoolone in regard to to the weight you intend to carry.
However I have a story.
I was camping/travelling around Ningaloo WA last year and twice saw the same 70 series with a trayback camper on the track.
I was impressed by the way it handled the rough road. The second time we were stopped and it went by and I noted the peculiar looking spring setup on the rear.
I have since found out it was a SAX 3SDS leaf spring setup.
Through other forums I found more information and have since fitted Sax to my trayback (canopy).
Fitted with nalothane bushed and greaseable pins.
I can tell you it has transformed the handling and comfort to our landcruiser. It has simple adjustments to increase load capacity and no airbags needed.
I have a steel bullbar, winch and aux. battery and fitted 150kg Dobinson coils.
You need to talk to Sax, also an Australian company.
I have no dealings with Sax Suspension other than being a happy customer.
Regards
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504917

Follow Up By: REV'S - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:41
Thank you Pinko
Good to hear a happy customer. Will be doing more research, sounds like the Sax are a great investment.
Regards Rev's
FollowupID: 781803

Reply By: Sludgie W.A - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58
Hello Revs, I fitted the Sax susepension to my 75 series troopy. The original ride was very good however after 4 months the suspension collapsed while on a trip. Sent photos to Sax and they immediatley supplied a new set. The second set also dropped within a few months when there was less than half the load. I again sent photos and was told I had not set the springs correctly. Info was sent to me as to set the spring which gave a 20mm lift. With only the 160lt rear tank full and drawers partially empty the height was below normal, I again spoke to Sax they said I had ordered the wrong capacity spring set.
In my original contact with Sax I told them many times the weight was 3200kg with twin wheel carriers, 260lt fuel,100lt water and drawers and fridge and standard camping gear. The springs I fitted were the set recommended by them and now they want an extra $800 for the mining pack. I have now replaced my springs with 11 leaf on rear and 8 leaf on the front with much better results for carrying the weight at less than the price of Sax rear springs without fitting.Because Sax refuse to enter into any more corrospondence with me I would not recommend their springs. More leaves for more weight is the only way to go. Sludgie

AnswerID: 504925

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 13:42

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 13:42
We went over to a complete Sax setup (front and rear springs/shocks) very early in the piece after being totally disillusioned with the OEM suspension.

It was not far short of a joke in my opinion. I had the rig checked by a Tojo dealer and found to be 500kg under GVM, but it was like a dog with worms. Of course we had absolutely no luck with Toyota Aust (as I expected).

With all due respect to 200/Prado owners, I can vaguely understand Toyota's reasoning for fitting soft sissy springs (given the number that actually go off the bitumen), however why they should apply the same logic (or lack thereof) to the 70 series workhorse totally escapes me.

So far I'm very happy, as it has transformed the vehicle, but ask me the same question later this year after our planned trip to the Kimberleys via the top end of the Canning and home through the backblocks of NT.
AnswerID: 504934

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 15:23

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 15:23
I fully agree with Rosco, we fitted a complete Sax suspension to our new D.Max last month and could not beleive the difference it has made to the ride and handling. As yet only been able to do a few short runs across some very pot holed dirt roads and all feels very good.
Like Rosco will see how it goes after our 4 month trip to Darwin and the Kimberley via the GRR/Kalumburu.
FollowupID: 781819

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 16:31

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 16:31
Isuzumu
Did you adjust the front hanger after fitting and what was the result ?
Stan.

FollowupID: 781827

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:07

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:07
Stan

I've not changed either the front or rear at this stage. I had them fitted by the Sax mob who set them at the softest setting and advised I probably wouldn't need to adjust them. So far that has been the case.
FollowupID: 781832

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:28

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:28
Same here Stan they are as they fitted them, about 4" rise, imagine they will settle some what. The people at SaxBrisbane are so confirdent in their product they take you for a drive, they DRIVE, qand the hell I thought no this vehicle can not do that, stopping, swerving, driving over islands at speed. This vehicle is heaps safer than it was as standard.
ps I do not have any shares in Sax Suspension, but maybe I should hahahaha
FollowupID: 781833

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:03

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:03
Rosco.... re your comments.....
"With all due respect to 200/Prado owners, I can vaguely understand Toyota's reasoning for fitting soft sissy springs (given the number that actually go off the bitumen), however why they should apply the same logic (or lack thereof) to the 70 series workhorse totally escapes me."

No passenger orientated vehicle will have constant rate springs to carry maximum payload, most vehicles in this class including the 70 series is mostly used for dual purpose.... if they fitted heavy spring that gave a neck breaking spine jarring unstable ride there would be more complaints then what your talking about...... there made for the masses.

If they did put 1200kg constant rate springs in the 70 series it would be 50 times worse to ride in then they are now.... the 70 series is still a passenger vehicle.

If you want constant weight carrying capacity get a light truck.... or change the springs and expect a bad ride when unloaded.
FollowupID: 781857

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:06
Can't agree with you there old mate. You could hardly describe the current springs as "dual purpose". At best they are single purpose soft.

I have no direct knowledge of previous 70 series springs, however it is my understanding they were superior.
FollowupID: 781871

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 08:58

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 08:58
My ute was purchased new in 2007.
An aluminium canopy was fitted and diy fitout followed.
I tow an Ultimate camper with a low towball weight.
In all a light load given the type of vehicle.
When new the Lancruiser had an ideal nose down attitude when loaded with camper attached.
Within six months the Landcruiser was level with no change to carried weight.
Airbags were fitted to achieve a higher ride height with 25 psi. pressure.
Within four years airbag pressure had to be increased to 50 psi. to achieve the original ride height and as a result the comfort level was seriously harsh and without airbag inflation bump stop clearance was just 45mm.
Now with Sax 3sds the clearance is 110mm. and no airbags with the same load.
With more flexibility axle steering also occurs and results in improved handling.
Stan

FollowupID: 781888

Sponsored Links