What is a good deep cycle battery replacement

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:22
ThreadID: 100604 Views:4733 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,
I need to replace the deep cycle battery in the engine bay of my GU Patrol. It is currently a N70 size, but has apparently died (neglect or lack of use, I'm not sure). It recharges sufficiently to run the Engel after running the engine for a while, but does not last overnight. The battery is 2 years old. Anyway, hoping you can recommend a good replacement. Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:56

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:56
I am surprised the deep cycle works in that role at all. The GU alternator probably only gets the battery to 60% charge on the alternator even after running all day. You would be better off with a marine battery or something similar. I confess I am not a battery expert, and I am sure others who are will chime in, but my experience is that deep cycle batteries are not good in this role, when charged from a standard alternator.
AnswerID: 504967

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:08

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:08
Is the battery you want to replace an auxiliary battery or the main starting battery?

Also, where are you? If the far north, eg Kimberley, deep cycle batteries only last as long as standard batteries due to a number of issues.
FollowupID: 781873

Follow Up By: carnaby - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 23:54

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 23:54
Hi ,
I use 2 marine pro 720 under the bonnet of my GU
And a third in the van they have lasted really well done the lap with gibb river and the cape
if one dies all being the same i can swap and always get going again
marine pro are stronger inside and can be used as starter or deep cycle as they are designed to do both
Alan
FollowupID: 781880

Follow Up By: bks - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:46

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:46
a
After several short lived deep cycle auxiliary batteries in the engine bay I changed to a marine battery. it has now lasted for 2 years, so I'm very pleased. Definitely the way to go as it cost about half the price of the deep cycle.
FollowupID: 781893

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:08

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:08
I found on my old GU that heat was the biggest killer. Once I moved the battery to the rear and used a dc to dc charger....problems were solved. I also do it the same way on my D4. Battery cops a proper charge. The patrol battery had a good surface charge, but once I moved the battery to the rear the length of run time was almost twice as good as what it was under the bonnet.

To me lower heat, and not using a bulk charger from the alternator has been a significantly better result.

Brett....
AnswerID: 504968

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 00:54

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 00:54
Russler
The heat of an engine bay will kill a deepcycle battery, they just don't like being hot.

The charging from the alternator, depending on it's regulated voltage would either be insufficient to fully charge it as mentioned.
OR
If the alt was delivering full voltage ie, 14.4v or a bit more, to the deepcycle and the battery was discharged to a fair percentage, the alternator input amps would be far too much for the deepcycle and tend to heat it internally and damage it's longevity.

Two lots of heating, Deepcycle deaded plenty quick.

Best to use a marine if in the engine bay or use the deepcycle elsewhere in the truck and a remote DC/DC unit to charge it as others have mentioned.

Ross M
AnswerID: 504972

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 08:48

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 08:48
I have investigated them and reccomend the following Russler- its good for both situations and I prefer this type to full deep cycle as it can really deliver the current when needed as well. Overlander is a good dual as well but I prefer the sealed type.

Exide Calcium N70ZZLMMF = 305X172X225H 20.3kG

730CCA RC 160 90AH (20hr)(lighter more CCA than Overlander 10min less RC }
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504977

Reply By: Member - Russler - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:47

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:47
Hi again,

Thanks for your responses. In response to the first question, this is an auxiliary battery replacement. And secondly we live in Melbourne, but we tour up North whenever possible.

Previously (over 12 or so years) I have used a heavy duty starter battery as the auxiliary, the type that claims both circa 650CCA and around 80Ah. These tended to last about 3-4 years. This most recent battery was installed about June 2011 prior to a trip up the CSR, where I felt the additional Ah would be more useful.

I haven't read all the responses in detail, but the battery that Robin quotes sounds similar to my previous batteries. I am tending back in this direction, esp. as heat appears to be a big factor. So will also look at solar panels as an option for those longer stays, or perhaps take the car for a drive for an hour to top up the batteries.

AnswerID: 504981

Follow Up By: Member - Russler - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16
But now that I'm reading around on solar panels, some info I've come across suggests that solar panels cannot be used to charge car batteries, and should only be used to recharge deep cycle batteries. Is that correct?
FollowupID: 781894

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:42

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:42
No solar can effectively charge normal car batteries and deep cycle batteries.I have 160w solar charging my standard starting battery and deep cycle battery,my fridge is never turned off.The longest i have left it parked with out running the engine is 3 weeks with the fridge running no problems.
AnswerID: 504995

Sponsored Links