supreme getaway caravans

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:16
ThreadID: 100632 Views:11012 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
we have been looking at the getaway supremes 16ft ...between years 1998 -2009 for some time now amongst other off road caravans...and we keeping coming back to the supreme ....when these vans came onto the market quite a few people in our 4wd club had them and they all loved them...took them just about everywhere including the gibb river road as they tracked well with their vehicles...we now the best off road vans are heavy ones...... we like to stick our head in all sorts of places... and as we will be living the nomadic life we will be travelling just about everywhere with it ....there are still places like the desert and certain places up in cape york and the high country etc.( which we have done a couple of times any way) that we wouldnt take it......these 4wd tracks would be done witht a tent or swag...so can you give us your thoughts if you have owned one these caravans or similar.... many thanks ross and chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47
A good friend had a Getaway offroad model for several years, & although they liked the
van, it leaked badly & defied all efforts to fix it. It was a poptop model. He traded it on
a bigger twin axle Territory,full van, & guess what ? Yep, it leaked too, & despite trips
to the dealer & his own efforts, he has given up & has traded it on a different brand.
So, I would examine a used one very carefully for evidence of water ingress. No other
problems were encountered as far as I know. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 505059

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:29

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:29
Hi Oldbaz,
What size was your mates van?
I hope it isn't the 2nd hand one we bought before Christmas.
We've used it but not in the rain.
I'd like to know because there has been something left in it & the Dealer hasn't got back to me to send it back to him.
It is a before 2000 Model Supreme Getaway 11 foot & has been well cared for.
Can't see anywhere it has leaked Except a bit around the Solar Panel. It is our first van & 2nd. hand was all we could afford, the newer ones aren't made as well due to trying to keep them in that price range.
We're hoping to take it to Cape York on the Development Road only
I sincerely hope it isn't your mate's old one.
Take care, safe travels Ma.
FollowupID: 782021

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:46

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:46
As far as I can recall the Getaway was about 14 foot. It was traded
around 06, so he wouldnt be the last owner. Yours may well be fine
..put the hose over it to check.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 782026

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:09

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:09
Hi Olbaz,
I've ticked the thank you box, but I need to tell you that we will when we get some rain!. At present we're bucketing water. I can't believe it in this county (near (GOR.) We lived in the Northern Territory for some years & saw true droughts .
Take care, Safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 782039

Reply By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:23

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:23
Hi Ross & Chris,

While ours isn't a Getaway, we have had a Supreme Outback 17'6" pop-top for the last 3 years. As far as I can tell, we are the 3rd owners and it's a 2000/2001 model with 2 single beds and a small ensuite. I'd classify it as 'semi-off-road' in that it's not in the Bushtracker/Kedron league, but then the price wasn't either! While we don't really take it into extreme locations, we certainly get off the bitumen.

We purchased it to see if we liked caravanning, but now see no reason to upgrade or change as it does everything we want and goes everywhere we want with no problems. Ours seems to be built well and has no issues with leaking. I'm beginning to think that quality has taken a downturn over the last few years given the number of problems with new vans that we have come across recently.

If you'd like to see where we've been and what we've done to the van, have a look at: RossRambles

Cheers,
Chris
AnswerID: 505072

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:41

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:41
Hi Ross & Chris,
We have been told and have seen for Ourselves upon inspection of both old & new Supreme Getaway caravans.
We found anything below 1998 to be the Good old Sturdy ones.
They're quite heavy though, but very well made.
Take care, safe Travels Ma
AnswerID: 505073

Reply By: racinrob - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:05

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:05
I have a single axle 17'9" Royal Flair Discovery, done the hard yards including GRR, Cape Leveque etc and never had a problem. It's a pop-top and the only water ingress has been thru the top screens and that was wind driven in a howling gale before we pulled the top down. Heavy ? Yes but that's the penalty you pay for a full 6" chassis.

Rob.
AnswerID: 505085

Reply By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:27

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:27
The getaway you are refering to is one built on a "Tub" chassis. Not all Supremes are built this way and not all Getaways are either. The larer and later ones are built on a standard chassis. A tub chassis is something like the tub of a ute. They were made of steel and sort of fully enclosed on the bottom. They looked a bit like it was built into a large checkerplate box trailer.
AnswerID: 505129

Reply By: Member - ross & chris - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17
thanks for your thoughts thus far....we e originally wanted an old small supreme getaway that sat in the tub because thats what friends in the club back then ...but after our trip last year over to WA at the windiest time of the year...and with very varing weather ...and the fact that we will be living in the van we want to buy... is we need something bigger.... as we need storage space and the smaller getaways which are getting scarce now dont cut it.... so thus the later getaways with side opening door...also we thought the newer the van the less trouble we might have with it along the way.......and better resale. we would love to know if the hilux would tow the van ok too .... we love the goldstream, roma,royal flair and even seen a a genisis and windsor excape...and t he other day we did see a 1998 supreme 16ft which looked good on the outside with very little off road use ...just dirt roads...but the inside wasnt great an bit daggy which we could rectify a bit. the van was very standard with no fancy stuff add to it. ..but he wanted $26500 for it and we thought that was a bit to much...considering we had seen a lot newer ones that gave you better value and a lot nicer inside...mind you when a van looks great inside like a new car you get reluctant to take it out in the dirt etc for a while...lol...many thanks ross and chris

AnswerID: 505159

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:34

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:34
Looks can be very deceptive.
Never judge a book by a pretty cover,..... cover up ?
We also liked the Goldstream and the Royal flair but didn't want a big van. Did you get my pictures& copy of ad?
If we are going to live in it we'd upgrade.
Goldstream & Royal Flair have a good reputation .
FollowupID: 782380

Follow Up By: Member - ross & chris - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:56

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:56
thanks pa and ma

we got your message and thank you for your thoughts....understand now what you were saying...that supreme at craigeburn with shower toilet did sell it was custom made they said when i rang them late last year.....the one in their now... i believe is a different one.. evenn thou it looks the same to me .....have thought about it too but about $5000 less would be a goer.lol...we are now just keeping an eye out for a good deal plenty of time till we need it in 10-12months time...have found a nice little rippa 14ft but we think if we could get one with shower/toilet combo would be even better.....for all the times in the past where the weather was that bad you didnt want to step outside...lol...and because it will be our home ...hopefully for a long time.....

ross and chris
FollowupID: 782383

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:41

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:41
Thanks Ross & Chris,
It looks like the same one to us too. I was told something else.
The extra 10 grand put it out of our range too but as said, it was supposed to have been sold. I'm really glad you followed it up & let us know. Strange. ? Yes, know all about too wet & cold to run to the loo . Hubby says, with a shower, you have to carry too much extra weight in water but I would've like a shower toilet model for those cold nights.
Best of luck with your choice.

FollowupID: 782385

Sponsored Links