100 series cruise control

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:42
ThreadID: 100638 Views:1544 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a device that locks the cruise control in top gear in a automatic to stop it changing gears on small rises/hills or has anyone had there adjusted to stop this happening.
Thanks G G.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:53

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 15:53
G G
I personally don't use CC in undulating country as the fuel consumption goes up considerably due to the fact that the engine has to work hard to maintain the set speed.
Instead, I just ease it over the hills and pick up speed again the other side.
Takes the strain off top gear (or OD) as well.
BTW, are you towing anything?
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 505075

Follow Up By: Member - G G 4 7 W A - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:07

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:07
Thanks Andrew do not use when towing ,what is BTW.

G G
FollowupID: 782020

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:21

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:21
I wouldn't be locking it even if there was a way. It changes to stop it labouring in top gear which isn't good for the gearbox your better off to override it manually as you get to the bottom of the hill. Toyota cruise control is the worst cruise Ive ever had on 3 Prado's. It gets to the bottom of the hill then starts to climb then goes "" oh bleep were climbing a hill, were only doing 100 we were doing 110"" bang down goes the throttle, kicks back a gear most of the time two, revs the bleep ter out of it, then goes over the set speed and holds the gear a few seconds, then settles down back to the set speed until the next slight rise again, sound familiar ?? bleep tiest cruise ever, all prados were the same, its a Toyota thing. Our commodore and statesman we had were spot on the dot with what ever we set it at even the steepest of hills but did it gradually. I will use it on the flats in the prado but even going from here at home Penrith to Central Coast on the F3 I hardly use it as mentioned above my fuel economy goes out the window. And ""BTY"" means ""by the way"".............cheers
FollowupID: 782023

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:59

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:59
Hi GG,

The cruisers have a reluctance to change down unless encouraged to do so or the incline gets too much for it. It is the factory setting on the kick down mechanism.

They can be made to down shift of course by the driver but as others have said the need is rare as most of us rarely use CC anyway. We keep it for special occassions. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505090

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:04

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:04
GG,
BTW = By the way.
See the Blue "Abreviations" button at the bottom of the posts on the right side.

Cheers.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782030

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:19

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:19
Solution is to not use it in undulating terrain. I only ever use it when there's a long stretch of flat road ahead. When I see a rise coming up I'll turn it off.
AnswerID: 505180

Reply By: CraigB - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 16:53

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 16:53
My V8 does exactly the same thing. Between being heavy and having larger tyres mine changes down as soon as it sees a pimple in the distance
AnswerID: 505190

Sponsored Links