Avan poptop ceiling lights not working

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 20:09
ThreadID: 100650 Views:4215 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Tayla Mark2 poptop and the ceiling lights are not working, both front and back which are on separate switches. I have checked the fuse and all wiring up to where it enters the roof and appears to be OK. Other lights on the same circuit are working.
To me is seems that there must be a break in the wiring in the roof which appears to be made of polystyrene sandwiched between the thin chipboard ceiling lining and the outer roof.
Any clues as to how I can check the wiring and replace it if I find the break. The wiring seems to be very tight.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:13

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:13
Mike, Assuming that you have checked the bulbs, the most likely point of a break in the wiring is where it is stressed as the top is raised and lowered. The point where it bends to accommodate the movement of the top. It is possible that the copper conductors within the plastic outer covering are broken but with no visible evidence on the outside of the cable.

A simple troubleshooting method is to switch the lights on and be sure that there is a power supply. Then move the cable whilst watching the lights for any flicker. When moving the cable try not to pull on it but rather grasp it with two hands either side of the likely break point and press the cable in order to bring the broken ends together. Try doing this with the top not fully raised so as to not stretch the wiring tight.

If this does not produce a result then it gets a bit more complex and difficult to describe the necessary trouble shooting technique here. You may need experienced help.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505117

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:51

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:51
Mike, most older poptops have a switch somewhere that you can move to 240 or 12 volt, if you are on 240 and the switch is set on 12v the lights wont work
AnswerID: 505130

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:31

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:31
A-Van poptop ceiling lights are 12v....half are direct 12v and the other off a 240v to 12v converter , at least 11yr old Tayla is and I have converted them to all 12v and led...the led lights use approx 1 tenth of the power of the globes, good luck finding the fault but at least you will not be in any danger from the power...cheers
FollowupID: 782075

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:06

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:06
hi mikeJ5
simple tests like these will eliminate before you start pulling the caravan apart
remove the globe and test it -- sit the bottom contact of the globe on the positive post of your 12v battery hold a bared end of some 12v cable onto the out side of the metal casing with your finger and put the other end onto the negative post of the battery this will light the globe if it doesnt its dead
sometimes its hard to see the break in a filament and this will prove one way or other
also if you happen to have a multi meter you can check the continuity of the globe filament and
also check for power in the globe socket with the switch on of coursethis will prove whether the power is getting
cheers
AnswerID: 505168

Reply By: Mike J5 - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:17

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:17
Thanks everyone for your replies. After some very helpful discussions with Avan customer service the trouble has been sorted. A small screw in the ceiling had apparanty worn through some insulation in one of the wires. Removed the screw and everything is working.
Thanks Ian from Avan.
AnswerID: 505227

Sponsored Links