towing behind a coaster

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 13:20
ThreadID: 100685 Views:10409 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to purchase a 4.2 litre turbo, automatic Toyota Coaster.
I currently own a 2000 Mitsubishi Pajero (3.2petrol)which has 230,000km on it.
I would like to tow the Pajero behind the Coaster. I know it is a bit big but if I try and sell the Pajero I am concerned I wont get much for it because of the miliage, but I know it is a good vehicle.
What would be the best method for towing, the A frame, two wheel dolly trailer or a full tandem trailer.
Is there any difference between these systems
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thinkin - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:19
hello,
Something to consider, Pajero approx kerb mass 2000kg +?
A frame method, how are brakes activated?
Two wheel dolly trailer weight ? Could be braked.
Full tandem trailer tare weight plus load, over 2500kg gross I would guess.

Alpero
AnswerID: 505248

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 18:54

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 18:54
If it was me I would use the 2 wheel dolly. Flat tow with A frame would need a method of activating the Pajero brakes. Not impossible but some complications. A full size trailer to carry the entire 2000 or so kg is going to weigh somewhere around 700 or more kg without the Pajero but brake system much simpler. A 2 wheel dolly type would only be carrying the front of your Pajero so the trailer would be half the weight of a full size one and brakes easier to set up.
Also if you were to use a caravan park you would be better of only having to find room for the 2 wheel dolly.
Just my take

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 505252

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 20:16

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 20:16
Hi,
Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong, I read on a post here a while ago that some 2 wheel dolly's are illegal in some states. I would use a car trailer for something that heavy. Over 2t incl the trailer has to have electric brakes on all wheels and a break away system and must be able to be activated from the drivers seat in an emergency.
I remember my coaster as having an 1800kg (96 HZB50) braked towing limit so you might want to check that first. The auto may even be less as the capacity has to assume that the vehicle is loaded ie full of people and fuel + some towing = a lower tow rating than what you would think a vehicle that size could (and in reality would easily) tow.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505256

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 23:07

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 23:07
Just to summarise the issues

to start with ya coaster will have a maximum towing capacity of two tonnes, older models less.....and if you have the correct towbar.....busses and vans generally have very low towing capacities for their GVM

If you have removed the seats and done some sort of camper conversion, it may be possible to get a higer towing capacity engineered trading off carrying capacity for towing capacity....I do not know anybody who has achieved this

While there are all sorts of people "A" frame towing, very few of them will be currently legal.
My nephew a metal fabricator, was asked to investigate the situation for a regular client about a year ago......A frame towing entirely to legal spec is a very hard to do...not the least of which is the link to braking system in the towing vehicle that is required.

Dolly towing may seem attractive...I have not had much to do with dolly towing so I can comment much on the legalities.......but a sufficiently strong dolly with an adequate load restraint method, has to weigh in over 300KG.

If ya pajero is not over the two tonnes empty and as factory, by the time you fit a front and rear bar and aroof rack it will be....so its just not a goer any way ya look at it.

About the only 4wd tow, legally and without drama behind a coaster is a Jimni......and that is why plenty do....and usually on a trailer.

cheers

AnswerID: 505267

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:57

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:57
Hi beaul,

My brother has a dolly set up for towing his Vitara behind his motorhome.
Unfortunately when reversing with the vehicle on the dolly it is actually a complicated manouvre which requires a fair amount of skill level. You also have an extra set of wheels you have to store when you get to your destination.

A 4 wheeled car trailer is easier to back but when you get to your destination you have an even larger problem to store.

A frame towing is about the best solution but costs the same as the other solutions or perhaps more. See pricing for the "Hitch 'N' Go" A frame system which is around the three grand mark. Way over priced for what they are in my opinion. This system incorporates an over-ride braking system, which attaches to the towed vehicle brakes, in the price. By far the best solution in your scenario but pricey. One major benefit of the A frame is it is not required to be registered. But it does have to have an engineers certificate for approval in NSW and QLD.

If you are going to tow something behind the motorhome, as I have often discussed with the brother as he is in exactly that situation, why not get a good van to tow behind your good vehicle because it amounts to the same as towing behind a motorhome but without the complications. If you tow behind the motorhome it negates the supposed benefit of the motorhome, up to a point. Either way you are towing something large by the time you weigh your all up towed load.

One other major benefit of towing a caravan over towing a vehicle behind a motorhome is that there is no green slip insurance required for the caravan in NSW which halves the rego costs for the caravan, in NSW at least. Motorhomes are, of course, full registration.

Just a couple of thoughts and facts thrown in to the mix for you to consider.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505307

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 15:56

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 15:56
I think your idea is exploring a "want rather than a need." Personally I see it as a huge waste of fuel..and probably unnecessary. Going by the replies above it's probably just as practical to tow the coaster with the Pajero! Sorry to be blunt...it's how i see it.
AnswerID: 505323

Sponsored Links