Water/Fuel separators

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:37
ThreadID: 100706 Views:6236 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at putting a prefilter/water separator just after the fuel tank, leaving the original one insitu.I'm been told the std one is 5mircrons, and the pre-filter is 30 microns. Will this matter to the fuel flow (2011 crd toyota hilux). Does anyone have any other suggestion as i'm trying to be safer than sorry with contaminated fuel. Injectors are not cheap to replace as my son-in-law discovered when his navara got a batch of bad fuel.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:45

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:45
standyne fuel manager,
water watch. australian made.

good idea to check your insurance cover, and ask are you covered for dirty fuel?
better to pay a 600 excess, than find out your not covered.
you do need to make sure the filter doesn't restrict fuel flow.

the landcruiser pumps have a very high fuel flow for pump cooling.
excess fuel is returned to tank.
being a hilux yourself i dont know.

insurance companies do cover bad fuel, you need to ask which one does..
AnswerID: 505327

Follow Up By: 489 - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:56

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:56
Hi there mountainman - yes my pump is of high capacity with a return fuel line to the tank. Pump located in the tank. Toyota spare parts desk seems to think not a problem, but, he seem a bit nervous on the details and the information he recieved was second hand. Just wanting to check with others who may have installed similar system Thanks
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782265

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 18:46
good idea to ask owners here

hilux site
AnswerID: 505334

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 19:37

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 19:37
In the past week and a half there has been two separate lengthy discussions on this topic and many varied views too.
Briefly
1. If your pre filter is 30 it isn't small enough to save OE filter around 10 is better.
2. A sensibly sized pre filter will not restrict flow because it is pumped into the filter.
3. If it blocks the restriction sensor in the OE filter should work as normal and tell you.
4. Make sure what you get is also a dewatering filter or you are really wasting your time and money.
Make sure the flow rate of the pre filter is more than double the normal system flow. Yours will be around 30-40 litres/hour.
Donaldson P902976 low flow filter kits are 114LPH 11micron and dewater to a fair degree. No "water present" warning you check it yourself others sound alarms.
UsesP550588 filters.Mine is on a Dmax. Similar system.
However, there is lots more to understanding about the requirements. Read previous posts.

Ross M
AnswerID: 505336

Reply By: Wotacroc - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 09:18

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 09:18
I have a 2012 Prado diesel. I am in the process of getting a Racor 230R fuel/water seperator with a 10 micron scew on filter from a recognised distributor in Chicago. The distributor contacted Racor, who stated that the 230R was more than adequate, but thought the larger 245R10 would be better. It would appear that getting the filters for the larger model would be hard in Australia in the future, so I opted for the 230R.

I am fortunate enough to have organised the filter body and enough screw on filters to last the time that I own the Prado, and will pick it up when I travel there in May. Cost is $106 USD plus tax and screw on filters $23 USD. I see the same items on eBay by an Australian distributor for $333 and $77 respectively. On the other hand you can pick up the same setup from an American eBay seller for a bit under one hundred dollars including tax, with a shipping fee of around $35USD.

Wotacroc
AnswerID: 505367

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:20

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:20
It is pretty sad that in Australia owners of CRD cars have to resort to buying extra filters for their cars just because the fuel supply is of such poor quality.

Either the fuel should have a standards ruling with a real backup compensation system or the cars should be made more robust - either with extra filters or the system should be tough enough for Australian conditions.

For the OP yes I have a 'Water Watch' system, made in Australia. I also carry a 'Mr Funnel' from BCF to filter suspect fuel before it gets into the tank.

I fitted my water watch under the car close to the fuel tank. Still easily accessible but there is 2m of fuel line before it reaches the OEM filter and then the engine. So if there is a bucketful of water I can get ample warning.

Are you sure there is a fuel pump in the tank. I have a landcruiser and fuel is drawn via the fuel pump on the engine. That is why when I change a filter I have to prime the filter. Not sure how it works on a hilux.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505374

Follow Up By: garry r - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:14

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:14
Hi there serendipity - would like to pass this through you.

My idea now was to place a water watch separator with warning sensor into the line followed by a ryco z200 fuel filter cartridge prior to the std filter. The ryco filter is of 30 microns and is about 75mm long and 40mm round with barbs both ends (steel cannister about $20-).
This way the warning light should come on before water reaches the inline ryco filter which can be changed each service easily thus not making it to the std filter in theory. Comment of idea would be appreciated
FollowupID: 782323

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 18:02

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 18:02
Hi Garry

Most forums I have read suggest the OEM filter is pretty good. I have the water watch as added extra which is what you are looking at - extra protection. I only use the 'Water Watch' system because it has no filter and no restricting the flow rate. Water can accumulate in the glass bowl. The sensor is very sensitive.

The problem is how much filtration can you put in before it restricts flow. What happens when you restrict flow. Hopefully first you will get a red light on the dash saying there is a problem with fuel flow.

The only time you would have problems is trying to climb that mega sand dune out in the desert fully loaded. Maximum power and no fuel or limited fuel especially if it is a bit dirty already. Then there might be tragic results.

Find out what fuel flow & pressure your car needs. E.G 60litres per hour at 15psi at 3000rmp. (I don't know your specs) It is critical to find the pressure of the flow rate. Some filters quote high flow rates but they are looking at high pressure pumps as well. You can squeeze a lot more fuel through a little hole with high pressure.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 782335

Follow Up By: garry r - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:20

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:20
Thanks. I will get tech specs on fuel flow l/hr and pump pressure at the rail head prior to injectors. There should be no restriction at the water watch seperator i believe, but only minimal restriction with the extra inline filter. Be told the flow rate is far higher than that is required but have not been told about the pressure rate.
I think the chap a spare parts toyota was a bit confussed on what I wish to do, or just plainly didn't know. I will follow it up with toyota tech team Thanks for the info
FollowupID: 782371

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:02

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:02
hi 489
if you go to thread 100622 there was a lengthy discussion al about pre fual filters and dewatering and which is the better ones
cheers
AnswerID: 505382

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:29

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 14:29
I’ve have been researching this also and as far as I can see there is no problem with restriction of fuel flow that many talk about. The Racor 455 has a flow rate of 170 litres an hour and the Stanadyne fm100 filter is 300 litres an hour.
A local business here installs Racor 2 micro pre-filters in fleet vehicles (must have done 100’s) and doesn’t have a problem. Of course being so fine they will need regular changing compared to the stock filters.
I preferred the Racor filter as they seem more available and more sizes (in microns) available. I also like the idea that they can be bought with a vacuum gauge that indicates that they need replacing. I can see this as being an asset as depending on fuel quality, you change the filter only as required.
The downside of the Racor is the dimensions and where to put it. If you don’t have ABS or dual batteries it will fit in the engine bay. If you do it’s a pain.
The advantage of the Stanadyne fm100 filter is the higher flow rate and you can buy it with a mounting bracket and kit for your vehicle. It is a tight fit but it is made to fit in with dual battery set up. (30, 5, 2 microns available)
If putting one in I would be also including the water sensor alarm that comes with both units.
I hope this is of some help.
Tony.
AnswerID: 505384

Sponsored Links