The Canning Walkers of 2013 have a website

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 02:16
ThreadID: 100712 Views:2017 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The website still needs a lot of work and technical cleaning up, but there is plenty to read in the mean time.

I have made a Public Blog page for comments prior, during and post walk. Please feel free to test it out. It is my hope that whilst we are walking the Canning for 3 months, people we meet along the way might drop us a line via our website when they get back to civilisation. These post will give insight into what is happening, something we would be unable to do ourselves due to limited communications.

There is also a SPOT page which will be activated in May. It will mark our progress throughout the day. SPOT only shows the last 7 days tracking which is a shame, but better than no tracking at all.

At present I am negotiating semi sponsorships of tough 10 litre water bladders of exceptional quality by a well known and respected brand. They are my first choice in hydration and will solve my water storage dilemma 100%. If successful, I will have all 100 bladders branded with our website address and offer the 'used-once-only' bladders as Canning souvenirs at 50% of their usual price. In this way I recoup some of my investment, solve the 'litter' problem and you get to experience the advantages of have such a useful piece of equipment.

Would Canning Travelers of 2013 be interested in purchasing a bladder should they meet us along the way? The price would be in the region of AUD35.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gaynor - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 02:20

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 02:20
The website is www.walkthecsr.com
AnswerID: 505357

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 22:40

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 22:40
:) Nice site
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 782341

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 04:48

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 04:48
Hello Gaynor,

What a great website. You profile page shows a remarkable collection of adventures, on sea, land and in the air. Some challenging yourself, some travel and some for the benefit of humanity - well done on all counts.

I wish you and Pam every success on your walk and encourage everyone to give as much support and encouragement as possible.

Stay safe on your journey and hopefully we may meet out there one day

best wishes

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 505358

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 06:13

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 06:13
Thanks Phil.

Pam, Tony, Andy and I are all really excited.

Pam quit her job to concentrate on training. She has been walking 25km regularly.

I quit my training to concentrate on a job! to pay for the airticket, equipment, provisions and other expenses.

Testing an Icebreaker 200g long sleeve Oasis Crewe shirt at present.

How many days do you reckon I can go without washing it before it starts to smell? Remembering I can't wear man made sports fabrics due to an allergic reaction generating body odour within a couple of hours. So far I have been sweating in the Icebreaker for two days doing physical work. Smells like its just come out of the wash. This weekend I have off, so planning 9 hours of hiking. I reckon it will last at the very least, the next two more days, but I am going to keep wearing it until it starts to fight with my delicate nostrils.
FollowupID: 782296

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:24

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:24
Hi Gaynor,

I am a big fan of Icebreaker merino clothing and have given one of the lightweight t shirts a pretty good test...the record was around 7 days wear between washes and I only did it then as the opportunity to do some laundry arose. (and my husbands pile of 'normal non merino' dirty clothes was getting high).
To me it still smelt fine, no sweaty odours, despite walking in it each day! Just apply armpit deodorant regularly and you might get weeks out of it! Reduces the amount of gear you have to take considerably, especially if you layer and is so lightweight.

I was able to shower each evening so maybe that makes a difference, however if you are out walking the Canning I can see no need to worry unduly about smelling a bit 'high'!

Have you tried their underwear? It also is great.
I am a very happy customer..prefer to wear natural fibres anyday.
Also love Silkbody (silk) clothing...just beautiful!

Best wishes with your adventure...sounds amazing.

cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782298

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 15:37

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 15:37
Thanks for the great feedback Heather!

Daily top and tails and deodorant are mandatory for me, even in the outback! I really can't stand body odour, particularly my own. There is no way I can run from myself!!!

It is amazing how far 500ml water will go in cleaning. Pam is packing those dehydrated cotton swabs (H2No type). I am thinking I might prefer to take a couple of micro fibre towels this time around. One for hygiene and one for my survival pack for gathering condensation and dew off my tent and plants for drinking water.

Re Icebreaker underwear. I love those Hotpants. They cost almost as much as a shirt, but they do feel good. I am very much into natural fibres as well.

Love your signature quote. Very pertinent for this upcoming walk of ours.

Cheers, g
FollowupID: 782327

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 18:26

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 18:26
Hui Gaynor

Not sure I can offer much help in the BO department. I take baby wipes (the quality type - lanolin etc) they may give you an extra day or two.

Some may scoff at 500ml of water idea but it does work and its better than nothing.

Good luck with the planning and pre-positioning of water etc.
Stay well and have a safe trip.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782336

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:53

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:53
Ok, I got four days out of the Icebreaker before it hinted that there might be a wiff of something other than laundry scent. I had to really sniff the armpits deeply a few times to pick it up. I reckon it will be ok on the Canning for 6-7 days where I am likely to be less precious about such things.

Considering man made fibres become unbearable to my nose just hours after putting a typical sports shirt on, that's not bad. Brilliant actually!
FollowupID: 782502

Sponsored Links