This THANKS thing

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:04
ThreadID: 100729 Views:2189 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone please tell me how to stop receiving emails when someone hits the thanks button.

Looks like another good way of lowering the standards of communications on forums..... you don't have to reply any more, just hit the "thanks" button.

What's next pre selected replies to topics.... we can just choose from a drop down list, that sounds good.

Personally I hate things like this. it's not Facebook!

An I the only one who doesn't like it?
Back Expand Un-Read 13 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16
olcoolone,

Have a look at thread #100633.

It will explain all and how to stop getting the emails.

Wayne
AnswerID: 505434

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:26

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:26
Thanks..... for that.

FollowupID: 782373

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:20

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:20
Yeah - just go to "My Home" tab and un-check the "Forum Actions (Thanks) via Email" box.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 782378

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:27
Alternatively just unsubscribe at the bottom of one of the Thanks emails.
FollowupID: 782379

Reply By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:03

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:03
Prepackaged communications systems, now that's a novel idea.
Soon we'll be able to take Foxtel/a dvd player/ laptop Solitaire on the Gibb River Road.
Mount a camera outside and watch the world from the comfort of our insulated cocoon.
We won't have to talk to anyone anymore.

Progress.

AnswerID: 505437

Follow Up By: briann532 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:37

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:37
"We won't have to talk to anyone anymore."

Personally I'm starting to prefer this.
Most people are just so self absorbed and ignorant its just better this way........
LOL

Thank heavens for real people who get out and about, see the world and are kind to others.

I'll talk your ears off round a campfire any time.........
Brian
FollowupID: 782381

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:34

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:34
I really appreciate getting notifications of a reply complete with text, which means unless i need to reply i do not need to go to the forum - a great time and download saver particularly when travelling. I find being notified of "thanks" button being pressed less than useful and of nuisance value in emails. Can the choice of what to be notified be split?

While it may be a requested innovation, pressing the thanks button is impersonal and meaningless. Not so hard to come on and say briefly "thanks to the advice particularly from XXX and YYY i did ----- and this worked" or what ever - just a bit of feedback. I do not expect it to be on every single reply in a long thread.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 505440

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:20

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:20
Just sent you a Thanks MH.

Cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782389

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:48

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:48
It is Mother, unless I've misread your point. David programmed it after I made a similar comment and request. See above for the solution.
FollowupID: 782391

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 18:22

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 18:22
Thanks Bazooka - done.

Thanks; now get no thanks LOL

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782398

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:12

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:12
hi olcoolone
no your not on your own
this sight is slowly getting parellel to facebook and i personelly think this new -thanks -thing is a lazy way of saying thanks but will suit a lot of people who are in such a hurry and love the quick click systems and think facebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread i personely wont go near f/book
but then who are we to criticise we are not a majority
and i always say you can please some of the people some of the time
but you cant please all of the people all of the time
so i guess we just have to suck it up and move on
lol --just my thoughts on it
AnswerID: 505446

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:33

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:33
Hey Maz,

I reckon you might be being a little unkind to David there. I don't have a facebook account and couldn't navigate about it anyway such is my lack of understanding about it. My reasons are based more on privacy than anything. One of the complaints you see regularly rear its head on the forum here is the lack of "Thanks" or feedback from posters requesting information. Surely, what David has implemented here goes a long way to addressing that. For someone like me I often see a thread that I think adds a lot of value to the forum but which the only way for me to acknowledge that fact is to go on and put a thanks as a post despite not adding anything extra of value. Now I have a simple way of saying thanks to that person for raising the subject.

I reckon it's a good initiative and serves a purpose.

My 2c worth.

Cheers mate. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782384

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:49

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:49
hi mick o
it was not my intention to be unkind to david and i was simply passing an opinion the same as you have done
i have had experience on face book and it wasnt good and therefore can align my opinion with that site and this one
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 782386

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 16:09

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 16:09
Hi Mazcan,

I have to agree with Mick on this one. The Forum is surely a looong way from Facebook. There is no obligation to use the "Thanks" button and there is a way to turn off the emails to say that you have been thanked.

In all probability we will continue to write a post if we have something that might contribute to a thread, but sometimes we just agree with a post without needing to add anything else. So a thanks button is a good way of signalling that. Surely in a world where "thanks" is often scarce there can be no harm in giving someone a sort of online smile, nod or thumbs-up.

I think David has done well to respond to requests for this facility - though after the initial flurry I haven't seen it used so much. If you don't like it you can simply ignore it surely.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782393

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 01:32

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 01:32
I'm another in agreeance with the 'thanks' button, I know it's called a 'thanks' button but I feel it's more like a 'Like' (dare I say like FB LOL) button indicating that you like what the poster has said as opposed to thankyou..... if that makes sense. I often see a post that I haven't got anything to add to or, everyone else has said what I would have, in which case it's good to have just something to acknowledge that the post was helpful, interesting or funny. Now if anyone has given me help along the way then of course I'd post a 'thank you' there is no way I wouldn't.... the 'thanks' button is not going to stop me from posting as I have done before.
I do have a FB account and I do use the 'like' button but I also put up posts.
Now I'm a bit concerned as to who on here doesn't want to receive 'thanks' for any of their posts.....
Cheers
D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782422

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:20

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:20
Easiest way is just to write posts that no-one thanks you for :-)
Some have it down pat...
AnswerID: 505449

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:00
Fisho,
all training and assessing in ignorance is provided free. As you say some sit the test and pass with flying colours without even having any training.

FollowupID: 782387

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:53

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:53
Hi ,
I'm not sure that I like it, it took me 5 hits to get it to work!
I know why it has been done. Good in one way, bad in another. Sometimes an explanation is very handy.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 505450

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:57

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:57
Yes the thanks button was created in response to your requests (our audience). We'll give it a try for a few months and see how it goes I guess for you. In many cases, it will probably be of most use to the original poster who has asked a question, received a ton of replies and wishes to quickly acknowledge all the respondents. We could have installed it so only the person who wrote the post could see/use the button but then why do that, when not all posts are questions and some posts are information to all that others might find useful? Thanks for your feedback everyone on this topic.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 505514

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:15

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:15
Hi Michelle,

I think its a great idea and have already used it. Sometimes it is all that is necessary. However if I have more to add, I don't hesitate to reply more fully.
Kind of off topic here but...
I also use Facebook frequently to keep in touch with family, close and not so close friends and find it a very convenient way to communicate. I often access latest forum, blog posts from EO on there when away from the laptop or home.
Provided privacy rules are set up I don't think there is a problem with FB. I think it is often denigrated by people who haven't used it a bit like Jayco brand vans. LOL

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782450

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:24

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:24
This is a good example that I hope you don't mind me using Heather. In the case of your followup post here (to my comment), I would want you to know that I've read it. (I glance over everything that hits my inbox instantly) but don't always have time to respond in detail at that moment. In the case of this post discussion, I know you don't need me to reply, but it is just polite and quick for me to have the option of clicking the Thanks button to let you know I've seen it. Sometimes words are unnecessary and I take so much time to compose, to reword, and to preview and spell check etc that the button is just a lot more convenient and sensible since I'm being distracted away from my work tasks. LOL
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782455

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:09

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:09
Michelle, I think a good button would be an "Agree" button.

There are so many threads where 5+ people have replied with the same answer for a simple question.

The problem I see with the "Thanks" button is it stops people entering into a conversation where someone has taken the time to reply to a post.... all the other person has to do is hit a button ending the conversation; loosing that personal one on one connection.

The other way I look at it is why should I spend time replying to a specific persons post when that person can not be bothered to type a small reply back to my post...... sure the "Thanks" button might fix it but if there is no continuing conversation it makes dull and boring reading for others.

It might be the future of on line forums much the same as text has overtaken voice on mobile phones..... in another 5 years the younger generation will not know how to enter into a conversation unless texteding and then they will only be able to do up to 160 characters... at all the fast food places there will be a number they can text their orders through to and a text will come back asking " do you want fries with that or up sized".

Maybe it's just change and in another few years we will aceot it and not think any different.
AnswerID: 505588

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:35

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:35

One good point to the 'Thanks' button that has not been touched on yet is........

. It puts an end to bad spelling! LOL

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 505590

Sponsored Links