EOTrackme On Android

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 16:21
ThreadID: 100737 Views:1870 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have a very basic Samsung Android smartphone and was wondering if I can get EOTrackme to work off it( with necessary additional software ) . I have loaded an app that I use to keep track of my walking exercise andf it works ok.Could say is similar to EOTrack me, hahaha. The phone I wish to use is a Samsung Galaxy "Y" .

Would appreciate any help anyone could offer me. Have checked through the info on this site but cant seem to find my way, with the phone I have.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 17:46

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 17:46
Unfortunately Exploroz doesn't support Android because only 85% of smart phones are Android. Apple ( 14%) and Blackberry ( 0.00000000000001%) are supported though.

Hint David.
AnswerID: 505457

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 17:53

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 17:53
I have also hinted to David a couple of times if we could get Android support for EOTrackme.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 782397

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 19:06
I like your cynicism Boobook, a person after my own heart. As I mentioned in my post I have Endomondo same sort of thing as EOTrackMe, but for personal fitness. Guess I will be dong some ultra ultra marathons in very quick time when I travel hahaha.
FollowupID: 782399

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:13

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:13
I have investigate all available Android software and they ALL lack one of the most important functions (keeping track files active when you go out of service). I can make any of the current clients work and have got GPSLogger and OpenGPSTracker both working on EOTrackMe however as stated they will NOT TRACK YOU WHEN YOU GO OUT OF SERVICE. The GPSLogger program can email the files but it cannot queue the email in the background so again this is not a suitable product.

The only answer I have is to develop our own. Now to have this done using an outside developer will cost me about $3000 - there are not enough users even at $5 to cover the costs so I am looking to do it myself extending on the GPSLogger program with the a GNU licensed program however I ain't a Java programmer so the learning curve is steep and slow but it is being worked on.

Boobook you can quote stats about client tyeps as much as you like but what is the point in only doing it half right with the existing programs that are out there. If you want to run these clients with half the functions let me know and I will enable them for you but when your logs are full of straight lines I will not be able to fix it. If anyone wants to fund the whole development then great but I am doing the best we can to produce a program that will work for the right price. It is my current full time project.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782442

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:30

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:30
David does it make sense for you to lay down some specs where, in a few lines and we ( I) go looking on Google Play for a suitable product. I know you are willing to accomodate different platforms from work you did a while ago.

I do know I have casually looked for what you describe in the hope that it might be a fit and to be honest i have never found one that works off line properly without several steps of intervention either.

If you could post up a short list of must haves that would be great - provided it makes sense.

Ie
1)Must be able to track while off line at selected intervals
2)When it finds a phone service it sends an email to xxx in abc format
etc

FollowupID: 782444

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:43

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:43
Boobook,

That is the problem I have looked at Google Play for hours and found only two products that are close. They are both Open Source so I can mod them but it is not easy as the code is really different than what I am used to. There are really no other choices available so modifying one of these two seems to be the only choice.

If you want to look around we are looking for a product that will log gps positions to a third party server (most log to their own servers). So you must be able to specify the server. It also should record to local file and have a de queue system to manage off-line recorded data (this is the main problem for us - our market is small and as such there are no off the shelf programs that even think about off-line recording).

If you have a look at GPSLogger and OpenGPS you will see how close these are, they offer the logging to any server and both also support email. I was hoping to be able to use GPSLogger and have it do the OpenGTS when only and also send a daily email in GPX format that we can double check/add missing data from the logs. I am still playing with this program as I may be able to tweak the email thing to work thus the process would use two comms methods and we would never miss a position. But the email thing tries to send straight away and does not queue it to your outbox.

As mentioned I am on this full time now so I will get back to looking into this program and let you know if I think we can use it or a modified version.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782452

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:58

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:58
David, I use GPS logger straight to my mapping program, though I usually copy the resulting file across.

I know it does save and email in straight text or GPX as an attached file. I also see it has FTP. I think I have an idea of what you are saying and see what happens if it is 'off line' when it is supposed to email.

I know the tacking and file setting options are reasonably flexible and have the email working to my own email address.

Can you accept
a)attachements to email and
b)seperate files sent with multiple copies of the same GPS locations? ( it seems to add new locations to a daily file then email the entire file).

I woudl be happy to test it.
FollowupID: 782453

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 22:00

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 22:00
Boobook,

I am ready to go into alpha testing of the new client program. Well I will be tomorrow had enough tonight. Have been full time on this and have modified the GPSLogger program to include a new sender. I have spent a whole lot of time ensuring that the existing GPSLogger functions remain 100% the same as they are so you can use the emails, gpx or other recording functions as it is and EOTrackMe is an additional service. It fully supports off-line recording and will update everything automatically when the device gets back into service. In fact it is so good that it can trigger the upload even if the program is not running if there is data to send.

Now I say alpha because the nice messages and management are not 100% right yet. If you are keen to try it I can email you the .apk file and you can load it - at the moment it has the same name GPSLogger so will overwrite an existing app. I will look at this tomorrow but if you overwrite it will not damage anything as it works the same as before with more stuff. Drop me a PM (david at exploroz.com) and I will communicate that way and we can start testing.

If anyone else happens to read this and wants in just PM me.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782655

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:36

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:36
KavMac,

I have investigated all available Android software and they ALL lack one of the most important functions (keeping track files active when you go out of service). I can make any of the current clients work and have got GPSLogger and OpenGPSTracker both working on EOTrackMe however as stated they will NOT TRACK YOU WHEN YOU GO OUT OF SERVICE. The GPSLogger program can email the files but it cannot queue the email in the background so again this is not a suitable product.

The only answer I have is to develop our own. Now to have this done using an outside developer will cost me about $3000 - there are not enough users even at $5 to cover the costs so I am looking to do it myself extending on the GPSLogger program with the a GNU licensed program however I ain't a Java programmer so the learning curve is steep and slow but it is being worked on as a major project at the moment.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 505512

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 20:55

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 20:55
Thanks David (DM) & Michelle (MM),

all comment appreciated as is your ongoing work here. If can get out of this problem , for comparable cost to what it costs with Iphone etc, always willing to pay it. Keep up the good work !!!!
FollowupID: 782487

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42
Hi David & Kevmac

Most of the above has gone straight over my head, but having invested in a Samsung Galaxy III recently (because of the android platform - which I gather from prior threads, will probably at some stage allow me to add an 'app' of some sort for tracking.... So - I do wish you success with your endeavours, and hope you will be making the appropriate announcement (& include some details at the time as to how to adopt it), it will be greatly appreciated by myself and no doubt a few others probably far more tech savvy than me.

Good luck

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782497

Sponsored Links