Dirty Fuel

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 22:02
ThreadID: 100740 Views:2479 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently returned from a trip and found our last (150 litres) petrol refuel from a drum depot left us with a problem. The dirty fuel; included water and rust particles, what is the best way to remove the fuel & filter it for re-use. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:07

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:07
Not worth the trouble – dump it
AnswerID: 505476

Reply By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:16

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:16
x2 Dispose of it. You'll never get it clean enough without a lot of effort, and that effort will expose you (and anyone helping you) to safety and health issues.

Take it back to a depot for disposal though.
Some lazy pricks would pour it out and bugger the consequences.
AnswerID: 505477

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:21
Or you could pour a small amount of it thru a Mr Funnels funnel and see if it cleans it at all. These funnels are pretty damn good ...n your problem would be a good test to see how well it works. Otherwise...as the others say ...dispose of it properly.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782414

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:19

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:19
skipper1
You didn't say what type of vehicle it is so the responses can't be at all accurate.
If your vehicle doesn't have a filler neck obstruction flap, it is possible for a mechanic or anyone else for that matter, to insert a piece of nylon tube down into the lowest point in the tank and pumps out the offending crap and fuel which can then be filtered.

Adding metho to water in the fuel will emulsify the water and it will go through with the petrol and be eliminated from the tank , about 1litre to a tankfull. E10 will do the same but not recommended for general use. Te rust will need to be caught in a filter.
Adding an additional filter/water trap would be good to have fitted to prevent future such events.

It is also possible to remove the supply hose from and use the internal pump, if EFI vehicle, and remove the fuel pump relay and bridge the main contacts so the pump runs all the time.
With it running you can pump out the majority of the stuff from the tank and then filter it, or filter it as it comes out of the tank with an extra filter.

These are just some options you can do or have done.

Ross M
AnswerID: 505478

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 01:11

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 01:11
My days of growing up on the farm we often had the problem of water getting into the fuel drums, back then all we did was drained the tank, or siphoned it out by putting a clear hose right down into the tank and drawing until we could see the fuel coming and then quickly put the hose into a bucket, since water sinks to the bottom, we would then poor the fuel into a drum and leave the last little bit with water in the bottom of the bucket...... Now please don't do this in todays society as it could be very dangerous..... I'm just saying, that's what we use to do.... As for the rust, a good funnel would do the trick....
Cheers
D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505480

Reply By: Danna - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 07:11

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 07:11
Hi skipper1

I wouldn't dump this much fuel, since I have one of those:

By Mr Funnel

I just may say, that this funnel works. It is useful for petrol & diesel.

Ciao Dana
AnswerID: 505485

Reply By: Patrol22 - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 19:56

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 19:56
If this is a common rail diesel engined car.......definitely do what others have said....dump the fuel - it is simply not worth taking the risk. Indeed, even if it is a petrol engine.....IMHO I'd still dump the fuel.
AnswerID: 505549

Reply By: Member - skipper1 - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:26

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:26
Sorry for the omission and thank you for all your suggestions.The vehicle, is an Ford F150 petrol engine 302ci v8 EFI with 2 fuel tanks of approx 75 litres each.
The fuel tanks have a fuel pump in each tank. From your contributions it would appear the consensus of opinion considers that the easiest solution would be to dump the fuel rather than attempt any other remedy.
AnswerID: 505573

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 18:15

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 18:15
You are right skipper1, the general consensus is to ditch the fuel, we certainly do live in a throw away society. On the other hand though, what would we all do with the fuel' if say, we were out in the middle of the CSR or Simpson, would we ditch the fuel then????, would we know what to do with it? I know I wouldn't be ditching it..... LOL Just a thought...

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782895

Sponsored Links