Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:25
ThreadID: 100751 Views:2288 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - cherrywipe - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:02

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:02
Hi,
Just come across another weather site also
oz cyclone chasers.com. Very detailed site on the cyclone movements. Can also download app.
AnswerID: 505515

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:31

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 14:31
That's just the first bit - the last couple of days Cocos Is. have had around 700mm of rain and Rusty is dragging that system with it.............this weekend might be pretty good for water in the middle of WA........which means there might be a few good "secret" waterholes to visit in a few weeks. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505517

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:07

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:07
Yeah, BOM says wide & slow with a shed-load of rain chasing it in.... might be good in 3-4 weeks when the roads dry out - wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of it.....
FollowupID: 782454

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 18:07

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 18:07
Stepson is rapted,they flew him home early.Might just get a bit of rain here in perth.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782476

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 16:17

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 16:17
Meanwhile, a financial news website here in the US is more concerned that iron ore prices might go up due to supply disruptions!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100488071

Stay safe if you're in the path of this!
AnswerID: 505524

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 17:59

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 17:59
Maybe that explains why Rio and Fortesque share prices are down again.
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 782474

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 18:55

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 18:55
Hi Scott

We. Have been keeping a very close watch on cyclone Rusty. One of our sons is still up there working. Today they said it was going to be very bad and they have evacuated everyone from James's camp. There in now a convoy of mining vehicles and staff driving over 600 kilometres to Broome to escape the damage.

James has been sending countless messages all day and he said it is very wet and sting winds as they make there way to Broome.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505539

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:56

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:56
I am currently sitting in our accommodation in South Hedland and we are now on Red Alert. Outside the wind is picking up pace and it looks like the Cat4 will pass nearly over the top of us here tomorrow.
Fortunately the aircraft I work on flew to safety yesterday.
There is also a lot of rain to come as well as tide surges. I also expect that we will lose water and electricity by this evening.
FollowupID: 782538

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:38

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:38
Stephen,

Yeah - judging by the news reports it seems that anyone who is non-essential is heading down the Highway south at the moment.

Graeme, keep your head down mate and get above the tide level. Hope nothing serious comes to play - best of luck and keep us posted.
FollowupID: 782544

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:50

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:50
I am also booked to fly out home to Coffs on Friday but I will wait and see if that happens!!!
Thanks Scott.
FollowupID: 782545

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 16:23

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 16:23
G'day Graeme ~ Scott and Stephen

The Great Northern Highway between the Auski roadhouse and South Hedland is now officially closed, no barricades across the lanes just yet as there is plenty of traffic heading into Newman from the various mine sites out of town, I can only guess they are contractors who don't have on site accommodation.

Good luck with what Rusty is about to unleash on you.

Safe travels :

FollowupID: 782547

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:23

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:23
Bidyadanga has recorded 268mm since Sunday morning (24th).
Gunna be some spectacular water going down the Oakover, Shaw and Coongan Rivers!

In 1988, I was contracting in Marble Bar, and we had a cyclone, and the top of the 15M trees were only just visible in the Coongan when it was in flood!

I can always remember the aerial photo in the Wittenoom Roadhouse, in the 1960's, of the waterfall in the Hamersley Gorges after a massive cyclone went through around 1963.

The water just ran off the plains and over the gorges in such volumes, it looked like Niagara Falls!
FollowupID: 782579

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:22

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:22
Don't fancy your chances Graeme ......

Breaking Weather News - Rusty intensifies off Pilbara coast
Josh Fisher, 27 February 2013

Tropical Cyclone Rusty has remained near stationary overnight while gaining strength before its track towards the Pilbara coast on Wednesday.

As of 11pm WST Severe Tropical Cyclone Rusty was a strong category three system spinning off Pilbara coast, approximately 125km north-northeast of Port Hedland. Rusty has remained near stationary during the night and is slowly gaining strength.

This large tropical cyclone is expected to resume a southerly track towards the Pilbara coast during Wednesday. The slow motion and large size of Rusty means that destructive winds will occur on the coast well before the centre crosses.

Port Hedland has already experienced a wind gust to 120km/h. These conditions are likely to slowly worsen on Wednesday as the system approaches.

Very destructive winds with gusts in excess of 165km/h are likely to develop in coastal parts between Whim Creek and Pardoo during Wednesday. Near the centre of the cyclone, winds gusts are reaching around 205km/h and are still intensifying.

The slow motion of Rusty also means that very heavy rainfall will occur over a wide area for an extended period. This will bring rainfall that is heavier than that associated with a typical system.

The heaviest rain is likely to falls between Port Hedland and Bidyadanga, where widespread totals a of 300-600mm are likely from this system. The heavy rain will also spread inland from the Pilbara during Wednesday and Thursday. This is likely to cause major flooding in the De Grey catchment and significant flooding through the Fortescue catchment and in Pilbara coastal streams.

Rusty is also making its approach when tides are nearing their highest for the year. This will lead to a very dangerous storm tide. Tides are likely to rise significantly above the normal high tide mark with damaging waves and very dangerous coastal inundation.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Rusty is expected to cross the coast between Port Hedland and Pardoo later on Wednesday. The system will then track inland and begin to weaken, however a cyclone watch extends to northern parts of the Gascoyne. The remnants of Rusty will also bring heavy rainfall to a large area of Western Australia.
FollowupID: 782613

Sponsored Links