Water Tank for GU Patrol 3.0l Turbo Diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 13:40
ThreadID: 10080 Views:4928 Replies:13 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Iam planning a trip where I will need enough water for 2 people for a week in temps that may average around 35. I am considering options such as a stainless steel tank under the car, jerry cans on the roof rack, or containers inside the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am unsure if anyone does a SS tank for the GU Patrol 3.0l diesel due to the layout of the exhaust or something. I think you can only get one for 4.2l diesel. Anyone know?

I will not be in a position to get water for the week so need enough to last me.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

S Man
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:14
Heard good reports on the flexi tanks that fit behind the rear seats or into the sides of the rear storage area (behind the panels).

Can get them in a variety of sizes.

Not sure on costs though.
AnswerID: 44615

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:31
The 20l flexi tank for the Gu is over $200!!!
You are better off getting the 0ne that fits behind the seat (80l?) as it is much the same price as the 20l.

Brian
FollowupID: 306776

Reply By: Gordon - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:15

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:15
Hi S Man,

I have had a 60 litre stainless tank made that fits inside and across my GU behind the 2nd row seats.

It is triangular in section and fits in the void caused by the angle of the seat back.

I had it made as part of a more extensive fit-out and it sits on a false floor which is the base of my drawer set-up.

I have also modified the cargo barrier to suit.

I have no photographs, but am happy to supply dimensions if you think you can use this.

Gordon
AnswerID: 44616

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:42
Did you get yours from Narellan Gordon? if so same as mine & it's greatRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306777

Follow Up By: Gordon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 14:35

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 14:35
Bob,

No, mine was made by a friend to my design. (Only cost the price of the stainless sheet).

I have a filler on the RHS and a breather on the LHS which is inter-connected by a clear tube to the outlet. This then acts as a gauge and I have marks every 5 litres to indicate the level. It is connected via a Whale in-line pump to a marine faucet. Works well for me.

My drawer set-up and fridge slide was all designed to accomodate the water tank.

Gordon
FollowupID: 306880

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:21

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:21
Whilst I can't comment on the availability of an under vehicle tank for the Patrol I do know that all such tanks are very expensive. I bought a 50 litre "plastic" caravan tank (they come in several shapes and sizes) which I've built into the back of the Cruiser. It feeds to the rear of the vehicle via irrigation pipe (black to prevent algae growth) and a tap like the ones on water coolers to get at the water. It's got a small breather and is filled through a rear window via a hole on top. That hole is sealed with a screw in plastic bung. Tank cost about $60 or $70. Company was Camec RV Equipment in Brisbane. Previously I used 2 20 litre plastic drums hooked up together and piped to the back similar to current setup but they took up a lot more room and held less water.
AnswerID: 44618

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:32

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:32
G'day S Man,
I think TJM make a SS tank for the GU and because it sits outside the chassis rail on the passenger's side, I don't think it should matter what engine you're running. However, I think it's only about 33 litres, fills via a pipe which is inside the truck and needs a hole cut through the floor to fit and was fairly expensive. If money is no object, I'd go for it anyway and carry other water in various containers. The Opposite Lock flexi tanks are supposed to be pretty good across the floor behind the drivers/front passenger's seat as long as you don't have other passengers (unless they are little kids who don't need the leg room.
I also looked at a tank made by the bloke in Cairns who makes the Outback _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. Trouble is all these options are bloody expensive.
I have the back of my 4.2lt T/D set up with one drawer from Department of Interior on the left, ARB 40 lt fridge on a slide on the floor on right side, with a plywood contraption over the top. That has left me room for 2 x 20lt gerry cans of water...one is mounted on a bracket above the right wheel arch beside the plywood upright. The other one is mounted in behind the fridge and is semi-permanently held by okky straps against the cargo barrier. Because it's hard to get to either of these, I have plumbed them up with bits of hose and cheap garden irrigation taps, ending with a male "o" ring fitting. That way, filling is as easy as connecting a garden hose to the outlet pipe, undoing the top cap and filling while they stay in the truck. In the case of the one behind the fridge, I can't even get to the lid without pulling the whole fridge out, so I've connected a piece of hose to the lid using a brass fitting. That bit of hose comes to near the back door (above the other gerry can) and also has one of the irrigation-type black taps to allow air in/out when I fill up or use the water.
It works well for me. Just remember not to put all your eggs (or water) in the one basket.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 44622

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:37

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:37
OL have a bladder that lies in the foot well of the back seats. If you're not using the back seats while travelling, it sits in the void under the folded seat. Holds 55l and is easy to install and use. I've used one for a couple of years now.Get out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 44623

Reply By: Steve from Armidale - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:32

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:32
I have an Opposite Lock bladder (holds 70 litres) and it works fine. Also Check out the Whitworth's catalogue (they are Ship chandlers). You can get a catalogue from http://www.whitworths.com.au. They have "deck tanks" which are bladders with eyelets to secure them to boat deck. They come in 50, 100, 150 and 200 litres.

Interestingly, they also have diesel bladders, and I've seen them used as long range tanks on fourbys. When they are empty you just roll them up and stow them. They can also take SERIOUS abuse - you can imaging what they would get dished out on the deck of a trawler!! Hope the helps

Steve from Armidale
AnswerID: 44630

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 15:47
I have the OL bladder same as Pluto & Steve + stainless tank as Gordon, Stainless tank was about $500 & bladder $150 but that was 3yrs ago.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306778

Reply By: Ridgy - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:06
Bladder idea is a winner for mine, but they ain't cheap.....and for safety's sake, the more individual containers you have the less likely a water disaster is to happen. Who wants to hole the main water tank in a skirmish of some sort with 100's of klicks to the next supply ?Drag me away from this keyboard.
AnswerID: 44631

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:55
Gee you've got a heap of options here. I guess part of the economics asks how often are you going to use extra tanks over the years. SS ones are so expensive per litre. I was going to mention the ones available through Whitworths Marine that are mentioned above. They are flexible and tough. SWMBO & I took 2x20 lt plastic drums on a 15000k excursion to the Kimberley last year plus the 100 Lt flexy as a back up to put on top if we needed it but it didn't get unwrapped. There was plent of water available along the way. Also consider just a couple of extra 20 Lt plastic drums strapped on top for backup when needed & only fill them when you have to.

The plan was to strap it on the roof basket, top it up with what we thought would be needed as extra, then to use it first from the roof to unload the high weight. I got the 100 Lt flexy as it layed flatter across the roof, it's about 1 x 1 meter square. I can't imagine ever putting more than 50 Lts in it or leaving it up there for more than 7 days. With the other two plastics that gives me 90 Lts - heaps. It will get a workout in the Simpson this year though.

You could modify a fit inside also if you wanted. Just roll it up and stow it when you get back. Good luck.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 306793

Reply By: Member - Peter K (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:23
I am using the flextank bladder - 55l - sits on back flooor. Really happy with it, flows well and no bad tastes. It costs a bit, but it was an impulse buy, with no regrets now. call me over concerned but I also carry a 5l drum as a reserve (in case one of my kids puts a hole in the bladder. It is also very useful for filling the bladder, rather then carrying a hose
AnswerID: 44645

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:37
Having one container is not such a good idea..

one small hole in it and your fubar.

The under car ones SS ones are good, but to me they seem as though theywould be prone to damage, bleep they are only few feet from the wheels and rocks, and trees and stuff.

Then the behind the drivers/passangers bladders also get in the way, I store stuff under the front and back seats..

One intergrated into the rear storage unit is another option....

they all have + and -
AnswerID: 44649

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 18:55
Take 4 x20lt plastic containers and don't wash for a week...easy :-)

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
AnswerID: 44653

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:05
40-60L drinking water, 100L shower water - If the luxury fits I take it.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 306820

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:10

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:10
Hi Willem
Re my post below We are planning to do 4week trip in 2005 including the Simpson & weight is the big factor Geez 1 slab beer & wine cask takes almost as much room as the 50 litre tank I might have to try your trick & take Port or Muscat ( 10 litre container should do).

I will be in the Little Desert (Eastern Block) March weekend so hope to meet the "Vic ExploreOz" mob one night, it wont be to hard to pick out "Rosie" if you are still coming, mind you we may be with 20 vehicles.

Cheers & hope to meet youPrado TD Auto
FollowupID: 306841

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:46

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:46
Hello Bernie,

Yes still on track to be at Little Desert. Coming down in convoy with Des Lexik if I can keep up with the 100 LC. Sounds like it will be cluster camping.:-) Not really my scene but once in a while it is OK especially for a special occassion and a great EO yarn.

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306842

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:09
As Moose said 50L plastic caravan tank --- lays flat & smaller than 2 Jerry cans
hook up with some "food" grade hoses covered with black tape to keep out the light ( that way u wont get algee growing) & a vent fitted with a breather (fuel filter).
How much water you need will depend on how frugal you are with it

10 days at Easter(Vic Deserts, Border Track etc) wife & I only used 30 litres for cooking, tea & coffee etc
did the dishes once a day, had a sponge bath each evening using about a 1L
& I did not shave. ( 12 vehicles on that trip no showers etc and no one stank)
We also carried a 2litre bottle as spare or to top up the radiator & not used.
Next long trip We will take a 10 litre jerry as backup as I did not know how much was left in the black tank untill we got home.

There were times we could have got water but did not do so as part of the test
one single guy carried 100 litre & used about 20L

Also if only 2 people going you should be able to get all you need in the car which will save fuel with no roof rack

Cheers

PS 7Days 1 Vehicle & no water available what part of Oz are you going to ???Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 44678

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:12

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:12
Aaaahhh Bernie..........At last someone with some bush camping commonsense......you think like I do. Keep it simple and keep your weight down and enjoy the bush. Yep, and I don't have to shave either. We would use about 3 litres per day including a sponge, like you have said, for 2 people when water has to be conserved and about 5 to 10 litres per day normally. I top up my water containers at every available opportunity. Even hot artesian water will do as long as you let the sulphur settle down overnight in a bucket.

Cheers,

Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306836

Follow Up By: The S Man - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:05

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:05
Bernie,

Thanks for your reply. I have had many suggestions and I have put a general response on this thread for review. It tells you where we are planning to go. It is not one vehicle but three. However, we need to all be self sufficient for water and all other provisions.

Thanks again.

S Man

FollowupID: 307011

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 22:30
I'm with Willem for keeping it simple.

If you aren't using the back seat then the floor behind the front seats is the best place I have found in any vehicle for storing 3 or 4 20lt plastic jerrys of water. Easy to get at and the weight is down low + if one leaks you don't lose too much. Depend how many $ you have to spend in putting in custom tanks etc.

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 44681

Reply By: The S Man - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:03

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:03
Thanks to all that supplied thier comments and thoughts. It has made me realise that the best alternative is a number of containers so in the worst event you don't lose all your water.

For information I am heading to far west coast of SA fishing in the Great Austalian Bight. You are in the middle of nowhere and once on the beach there is no real opportunity to go back to the nearest roadhouse for supplies. Therefore we need to be fully self sufficient for all possible scenarios. The weather is pretty harsh and can get to the mid 40's during the day. Therefore we need as much water as possible but need to carry it efficiently.

We will be doing the trip in Jan 2005, I know it is a long way from here but the majority of the campsites are already booked (given there are only 12 sites max) and it is a trip that needs great prep work.

Thanks again to all for their input.

S Man

Happy Fishing!!
AnswerID: 44855

Sponsored Links