diesel chips

diesel chip fitted to new Colorado auto.
For those who may be interested I recently looked into fitting a chip to my 2.8 auto Colorado.
Read all I could seemed the big names Roos, DP,Steinbauer all seemed to be close in price at more than I was wanting to pay around $1500 came across and read an article on chipmydiesel,had one fitted in Brisbane,drove around the block to check if any warning lights came on, at settings already tested,power was up, gear changes came in more rapidly,but the amazing thing was coming home up to Kingaroy after being delayed 2 days by floods, holding the vehicle at 100ks steady on flat ground, my indicated fuel burn went from the average previously of between 8 to 10 ks per litre to 6.3 average with the throttle hardly depressed.
I am very happy and the price was less than half others, for the top model with the program able area of power required EG. low,mid or top end.
Apparently it is made in Europe sent to England for programming to Australian conditions and is possibly the base product for others rebadged.,most units with the split twin leads and plugs are apparently the same unit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:20

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:20
When you have a chip installed don't believe your on board fuel usage meter.

Your on board fuel usage meter doesn't actually monitor the flow rate, it is calculated off a map based on inputs from various sensors...... when you fit a chip you basically modify (increase) the flow rate so the sensors think less fuel is being used.

Most chips will give a slight improvement in fuel consumption in some instances iif driven right..... maybe 1-2%, the biggest benefit is driveability and power.

The more fuel, more power..... less fuel, less power....
AnswerID: 505761

Follow Up By: Member - Des Y (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:42

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:42
Thank for that info it will be interesting when I put a tankful through as we have had fairly consistent readings when we do mileage to fuel, I thought it was too good to be true given the power increase, but the other factor was hardly any pedal depression
FollowupID: 782700

Reply By: Member - jc094st - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:25

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:25
Des Y,
Did you get an exhaust system upgrade as well or just the chip? Thinking about the same thing for my 3ltr Ranger.
jmac
AnswerID: 505762

Follow Up By: Member - Des Y (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:38

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 18:38
No as it has a 2.5" standard I did not do the exhaust,we are only dealing with 2.8 litres
FollowupID: 782699

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:05

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:05
Thanks for the rundown on chips.

When i get some dosh i'd like to do the same, the only worry for me is the boost, apparently they are running 25 psi (i maybe wrong) so anymore than that is of real concern, maybe I'd unplug it with the van on just to give it a break.

Do you mean kays per litre or litres per 100, otherwise by what you wrote you're using more fuel less kays, but I think you meant lph.

Id be over the moon if i was getting 8 - 10 lph, im flat out getting 11.5 lph! with a canopy ladders and a couple hundred kilos of junk in the back.

So did it cost $1500 or did i misread it?

Cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 505776

Follow Up By: Member - Des Y (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:42

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:42
The fuel flow was showing just over 6 lph not kpl however one of the replies mentioned that the chip might be influencing the reading,however we will test it on a run.
apparently these engines are down rated and are capable of higher performance so driven sensibly it should not be a worry.
The price was under $700.
Hope this helps, Des
FollowupID: 782708

Follow Up By: Nutta - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 23:02

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 23:02
Personally i think they are pushed to their near max but im no mechanic.

Thanks for the price.
FollowupID: 782714

Sponsored Links