Ex member survey

Submitted: Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 12:48
ThreadID: 100831 Views:2415 Replies:6 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys & girls
I have let my membership lapse recently, as I found I used it less & less in the last few years.
Today I received a link to a survey of ex members.

This survey asked a lot of yes/no & tick box questions. It did not ask me why in any of those boxes, rather it posed options as to why. This form of questioning possibly avoids the real reasons.

I had no issues with anybody or anything. I just have not used the site much anymore. I feel the reason for that is: The members prior to 4 years ago had a sence of belonging to a club of like minded people, that has gone to a degree from this site, in my opinion (I stress my opinion). Add to that the advent of Facebook that filled this gap, I am not getting from this site what I want & formally got. I made a lot of fantastic people on this site & am grateful for that, via Facebook I am still friends with most of those people, thank you EO. I was lucky enough to spend the last year travelling Australia, in so doing I put faces to many of those names, that was special.

I will still come on line from time to time, if only to pass on to a new generation of explorers some of my aquired wisdom lol.

David, if you read this post please add a box to your survey to ask WHY.
I wish everyone well.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:30

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:30
Thanks for your feedback on the survey.
When I wrote these questions I had to find a way of compiling all the various "reasons" people don't join down into absolute basics - open-ended questions actually aren't that useful sometimes when you need to get a clear picture of a "reason" your customers are not sticking with you.

Q3 asks why you are not renewing - and offers 4 options. I am aware that many people feel their reasons don't fit these but in fact, they do to us in terms of analysing the reasons and how we can use this feedback. When it all boils down to it you either:
1. don't use the member benefits
2. don't wish to make a financial contribution to the site
3. don't wish to have a formal association to the site
4. cannot justify the expense (this one applies to most of the reasons people say when they would like to renew but cannot due to financial restraints, or don't feel they use it enough anymore like yourself, or don't feel they get value for money from it etc).

Just on this topic - we are about to start using the Survey Monkey format in a few weeks for some open surveys to get some more information about our audience to get a fresh perspective on our audiences needs, opinions etc so your timing to give feedback is perfect. Once I'm convinced the SM formats delivers what I need, then I'll move the Members Exit survey to that format too - which offers me better tools for asking open-ended questions.

Sorry to see you go - it has been a long time indeed. Membership subs still make the largest difference to running the site (without it we need to rely on advertising revenue) and we still remain totally unsupported and unfunded by the Government for our unique outback tourism resource. What we've all created on EO over the past 13 years continues the simple mission to give people a voice in the industry, a place to connect, a place to share, and a place to learn. Whilst our success is the massive size of our audience reach, our greatest struggle will always be how to cover our costs to provide the service so we do appeal to all of you to show your support through your Membership. Umm... sorry didn't mean to make you feel bad for not renewing. You've had your time and that's ok. I'm just taking the opportunity to explain another side of "why" we value the Members to others that are reading this.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505825

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:53

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:53
David & Michelle,
you haven't "lost me", I haven't "Gone" !!!! LOL
Just a casual contributer now.
Who knows what the future may bring????
FollowupID: 782736

Follow Up By: Peterpan - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:34

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:34
Hi . I have been a member for a few years but I have noticed that non members can ask and reply to questions the same as members, which in my opinion is wrong. It appears that the only advantage that a member has over non members is that a member can purchase items from Exploreoz a little cheaper than non members! Maybe non members should be restricted on the number of questions and comments that they can make per year. Why should financial members be subsidising non members for the same privileges?

FollowupID: 782752

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:46

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:46
Peterpan
Your comments are incorrect.
Members have privileges such as Member Messages, free member classified ads, able to advertise member trips, post blogs among many other things, as a member for many years you would know that. Restricting comments & replies would stifle open discussion as well as being elitist these things would devalue the site making it less valuable to researchers who are potential members. Your suggestion would be unworkable. Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 782755

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:10
PeterPan, you don't come up as a member, your just a registered user like the people you want to restrict. Haha
FollowupID: 782759

Follow Up By: Peterpan - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:45

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:45
Hi On Patrol & Toni.
I have been a member for some years! I have recently changed my site name to Peterpan which is the the one I have used for years on national and international motorbike websites. I never use blogs , classified ads
and never ask questions on a site if I am not a financial member! I also wrote maybe restrict nonmembers on the number of questions that can be asked!
FollowupID: 782763

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:14

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:14
Your forgetting another thing you loose when you stop paying Membership! The Birthday Fairy!!!! LOL
FollowupID: 782925

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 13:22

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 13:22
Where is Member No.1 these days? Has`nt been around for a while now. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 783549

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:35

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:35
G'Day On Patrol,
I know exactly what you are saying & how you feel. I find it very frustrating when you are sent a survey...... & you get the feeling.... you cant answer it honestly or as your 'gut' wants to because of the limited available replies. There is usually no box or space to put in your own feelings/words.
I think a lot of service providers use a marketing company to get feedback from customers just to make you feel a little special..... you get a letter or an email from them asking you rate the 'service' you have been provided. The questions & supplied answers are very open, & in my opinion they are slanted towards a positive responce. Its as if the author of the survey DOESNT want to hear anything bad.

Thats my rant for today :-)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505826

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:56

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:56
Tony, that's not a rant, its true, you have nailed it !!!!! You do know exactly the way I feel.
Cheers, Colin.
FollowupID: 782737

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:01

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:01
Looking at your tag Tony "Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!"

Reminds me of a quote from the late & great Spike Milligan:
"My father was a huge influence in my life, he was a lunatic".
Thank you, fellow Lunatic.
FollowupID: 782738

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:06

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:06
Hi Tony, I just checked and I've been a member for 10 years(must be one of the longest servicing), stayed around hoping I might get a long service pressie hahahahaha
FollowupID: 782743

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:54
Bruce,

10 years well maybe we should do something like lifetime for 10 year or more of paid membership. I will ask around the office and see what we think. One of the reasons we have a largish lifetime fee was to cover the amount of stuff we send out and to also keep it a little exclusive but leave that with us.

In terms of the longest continual member believe it or not the first, yes the very very first member in the system apart from Michelle and I is still financial and still supporting the site each year. You may not ever see Member - Dana (joined 7/03/2001) in the forum but he is out there currently living in WA but from memory was originally in TAS.

You are only a few years behind and we really do appreciate your continued input and support of the site, it is people like yourself that make ExplorOz what it is.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782756

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:07

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:07
Thanks David, love to have an input where we can and yes I prefer to be a member cause I believe that I do not have to hide behind a user name that no one knows.
FollowupID: 782758

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 22:14

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 22:14
Hey David
What happened to the "Member Since" thingy that used to appear in our home page?
Quite a few of us must be close to the 10 year period??

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782767

Reply By: andrewg - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:56

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:56
hi guys interesting reading i too was a member for quite a few years too i haven't received the survey , which is ok by me but you are right 4 years ago or longer the explore oz site people were like a real club. nothing wrong with the current people and the site is still very useful. I just cant seem to justifie rejoining as a full member..
Might rejoin as full member when we hit the road permanently.
AnswerID: 505829

Reply By: Cruiser . - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:13

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:13
I am an ex member but have never received a link to this survey

Any clues as to what the link is ?

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 505834

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:25

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 17:25
Epired member survey
There you go Cruiser
FollowupID: 782744

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 18:37

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 18:37
Mate,
how did that underpowered Nissan perform on your trip. LOL.

All the best,
RA.
AnswerID: 505839

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 19:35

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 19:35
RA
Under powered hahaha, TONI is as good now as it was 5.5 years ago when I did the conversion, even going uphill with 2.5 tonne of van behind I could leave behind many "normal trucks".

I love my "mongrel" more now than I ever did, its amazing.

Its in my garage for keeps mate, I have no desire to let that bastard son of mine have it lol he would kill it inside 6 months.
Cheers, Colin.
FollowupID: 782749

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:32

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:32
Colin,
here is one you can tell your son. Met a fella at Jabiru with an immaculate FJ, his first car.He said when his son got older and more mature he could drive it. Well the son is now 46 and he still hasn't been allowed to drive it. LOL.

Good to see all that hard work paid off.

RA.

FollowupID: 782781

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 23:05

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 23:05
Yes a somewhat pointed survey that in alot cases doesn't cover the many underlying reasons why some may not renew.
David you may also consider a Survey Monkey aimed at long time Visitors to see why they haven't made that next step to membership?
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 505867

Sponsored Links