3.0 litre D4D Hilux question

Submitted: Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 19:34
ThreadID: 100839 Views:16592 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've just spent a few hours assisting the neighbours after the son put $30 worth of unleaded in a virtually empty tank on his D4D Hilux ute.
Neither of them are really mechanically minded, realised they shouldn't start it and rolled downhill and into the drive at home, then I got a phone call to ask what to do.
Advised them to drain the tank and then refill with fresh diesel.
Went over to see how they were going and we found that the plastic fuel tank doesn't have a drain bung, pretty clever on a 4wd!
Tried putting the jiggle syphone down the filler neck but there is a mesh to stop syphoning hoses.
So I went home and got a 12v fuel pump and a couple of lengths of fuel line and pulled the supply line off the fuel filter and started the pump, only got a few litres before it sucked air, seemed a bit weird!
So we pulled the filler neck off the tank (it was a traytop so relatively easy) and stuck the fuel line into the tank, sucked all the fuel out with the electric pump and then after reassembling the filler neck filled it with fresh diesel and pumped the fuel up with the priming pump on the top of the filter. It started first go and ran quite happily and continues to do so.
Can't explain the fact that you cannot suck the tank virtually empty by using the supply line to the fuel filter, why is it so? There was certainly about 30 odd litres still in the tank when it was sucking air.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:25

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:25
Ozhumvee
I think the Hilux has an electric pump in the tank to deliver the fuel pressure to and through the fuel filter and beyond. Most Common Rail stuff does.
Some have relief/one way valves and various valve things attached to the pump and internal fittings.
If you were sucking fuel with a pump due to the fact the internal pump is reasonably long, those valve units may be quite high in the fuel and when the level dropped it would just suck air. I know SV20 Camry pump has such fittings probably Hilux too.
It is arranged so the line runs normally with pressure from the internal pump.
AnswerID: 505870

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:31

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:31
In most CRD vehicles If water or petrol is known to be in the tank you can remove the exit from the tank and feed it into a bucket and then activate the intank pump by removing the fuel pump relay and bridging the main pump terminals in the relay base.
This will run the fuel pump and pump out nearly all offending material, does leave some, but adding clean fuel/diesel, dilution and more pumping will remove a very high percentage.
FollowupID: 782775

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 07:32

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 07:32
I figured there would be a lot of stuff in the line as well as possibly a pump in the tank, we did try pulling the fuel line off at the filter and turning everything on and it didn't pump any fuel so gave up. without any wiring diagram or knowledge of the particular setup we figured sucking it out was the best option.
We also tried undoing the big screw cap on the top of the tank, couldn't shift it either.
Thanks for the info re bridging the pump conns but hopefully I'm not involved next time ;-))
The sheer stupidity in not having a drain plug on the tank in a 4wd is something to wonder about, no doubt Toyota saved a few cents there.
For the vast majority it would mean a ride on a tilt tray to a mechanic or dealer and the subsequent huge bill for want of a drain plug.
FollowupID: 782776

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:11

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:11
Ross most CRD vehicles including the Hilux run a non electric venturi pump in the tank..... you will find most with hand primers us this pump.

The advantage of this type of pump is no moving pats and it requires no power.
FollowupID: 782779

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 10:50

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 10:50
As I understand it, there is usually a significant volume remaining when the tank is "empty". This is to avoid picking up any sludge/water build-up that sloshes around the bottom.
AnswerID: 505884

Sponsored Links