waeco raps power drain

Submitted: Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:53
ThreadID: 100842 Views:2508 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I noticed when reconnecting the aux battery that there seemed to be some power being drawn through the wiring going to the back of the vehicle even though nothing was plugged in or on.

Checking it with the amp meter, 100ma (0.1 Amp) was being drawn off.
Turns out that the waeco raps 12r-u2 power socket (hella & standard) is drawing the 100ma without anything plugged in.

When it is first connected to power it makes a sound like a relay.

Does anyone know whether it does have a relay and whether it is acceptable to be constantly drawing 100 ma.

I sometimes don't use the vehicle for a week or so, so even though 100ma doesn't seem like much, I expect that it would result in a few amp hours out of the battery over a week or so?

Dan

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:37

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:37
Any wire you attach to the batt will draw power even when it's not being used but it is actually being used because it has electricity running threw it ready to supply power to what ever you need it for .Any joining clips or crimps ,switches, memory for the radio etc you use will also draw extra power only a very small amount though but every little bit adds up we put extra current drain on our batteries without realising it... My evakool fridge also clicks it must be activating something so it is ready to start up as soon as you turn it on I suppose.
AnswerID: 505857

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 22:46

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 22:46
Dan 1 – don’t worry 100ma is a minor draw – 2 amp hours a day – you could do a lot worse.
Batts – what a load of crap.
FollowupID: 782768

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:09

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:09
Batts

You should put the end of the wire in an egg cup to catch all the escaping electrons, then you can pour them back into the battery .. ;o))
FollowupID: 782778

Reply By: Member - Phil H (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 09:47

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 09:47
Yes just having your waeco or any other fridge connected but not turned on will consume power, 100mA seems a little excessive though. Sounds silly but why not unplug it? Is your battery wet (lead acid) or dry (AGM)?? Do you keep on smart charger? I have a Kimberley Kamper the I fitted a C tek charger to years ago, solved my battery problems, and re-couped cost of charger by not needing to replace 6 x 35Ahr batteries every couple of years. Their are many other good brands of smart charges on the market if your camper/van is not fitted with one. Hope this helps.
Phil H
AnswerID: 505879

Follow Up By: JohnnyC - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 13:21

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 13:21
That kit has some smarts in the connector , you can set so that it supplies power to the fridge continuously or only when the engine is running,also a low voltage cutout, the sensor constantly draws about 100mA.
Your immobiliser probably draws about the same current, not a lot but it adds up over a couple of weeks.
I fitted an adapter on one battery terminal, looks like a tap, that easily disconnects the battery if I won't be using the vehicle for a couple of weeks or more.
FollowupID: 782873

Sponsored Links