Mapping with i pad / phone

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 11:53
ThreadID: 100849 Views:2553 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
What is the best nav / mapping for my i pad / i phone 5 i still have paper maps but would like a good app , Hema or mud map, looking at off road and touring
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Litlbalt - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 12:47

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 12:47
We have the Hema Maps and LOVE IT, we got it for our big trip last year to the outback including across the Simpson and it was great have also used it a few times around our local tracks.
AnswerID: 505892

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 13:25

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 13:25
agree with that, HEMA are the best around I M H O
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782794

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 16:41

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 16:41
Digger,

Have Hema maps on our iPad, and they are great for a quick search to check something. I use it regularly just to look at maps of various places we hope to see......eventually.

The gps seems okay, but on a recent trip along the Landsborough H'way , the tracking mode took a "short cut", and didn't follow our actual route.

Will a handy thing to have with our Hema Navigator, I feel.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782804

Follow Up By: DIGGER 12 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 17:51

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 17:51
Thanks Bob, Thats what I'm worried about,not a good thing when one is out in the sticks . Digger
FollowupID: 782806

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 13:58

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 13:58
Hi Digger

I have been chasing navigation mapping apps for some time. I have tried Navfree, Off Map, Memory Map, Aus Map and Maps.

I recently found City Maps 2Go. I bought the $2.99 version. It allows you to download any or all of its 7800 current maps. The maps are provided by Open Street Maps and are listed by Country, State, City or region etc. They have the POI details as well as Wikipedia articles about sites. I just used it in NZ. Downloaded a map (North Island) and could use it to navigate to a location with no phone or wifi. Does not use turn by turn guidance but has all the streets and features.

Once the required maps are downloaded they are all accessible offline.

They are not suitable to replace Hema or Ozexplorer but are the best App I have bought.

In addition to this I will have a dashboard GPS which has Windows CE and Ozexplorer installed as I already had the Australian Topo maps.

Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 505898

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 06:01

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 06:01
It may work well in the US but be aware that Open Street Maps has a lot of major errors in Australia. For example in the High Country there are several tracks that it tells you are major roads that turn out to be long dead ends. The only actual major road in one case to Licola doesn't even appear. It simply does not work as a reliable map in many of these areas.

IMHO opinion it would be dangerous, or risky at best to use this as your primary map. It's free, and contributed by unqualified users and the result reflects this, especially in remote areas.

Unfortunately if you really want a good map you still need to pay for it. Hema or better still Memory Map which Hema is based on has hundreds of government sourced and / or GPS checked maps.
FollowupID: 782920

Follow Up By: Stretchlizard2 - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:07

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:07
Boobook

The rule of thumb for Open Street Maps is probably that if you can get a signal on your phone then OSM are pretty reliable. If you tend to operate away from the maddening crowds, then you will require topo mapping program.
Bit like Telstra and Optus providing coverage for over 90% of the population.
FollowupID: 782921

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:15

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:15
That makes sense and tallies with my brief observation of OSM.

Google maps ain't much better for remote locations either.

FollowupID: 782922

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 14:48

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 14:48
Have a look at Mud Maps. I have used them for trips around Qld, off road, etc. works well off line. They have recently added camping sites to the map but without any information. This is coming. They are a young company I think.
AnswerID: 505901

Reply By: HarryH - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 21:56

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 21:56
I've got the Hema app and think its great, had it since it came out maybe a year ago?
not sure about the other ones but the Hema is really easy to use. Its great that you only pay for the app once but can use it on both iPhone and iPad. If you shop around you can often find the iTunes gift cards discounted i.e. buy 2 x $20 cards and you get $50 instead of just $40- might save you some $$ off the purchase price of the maps app.
Not 100% sure but I think mud maps uses VMS mapping so that should be good also.
AnswerID: 505927

Follow Up By: DIGGER 12 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:08

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:08
Thank's Harry, that is what i'm planing on doing,going to 4x4 show in brisy to get more from horses mouth but wanted it from the real world ,thank's ..Digger
FollowupID: 782845

Reply By: Member - rob_macca67 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 05:59

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 05:59
Hey guys.....

This post has been interesting reading on what's out there to use......Just curious though, these Memory Maps / Mud Maps / Hema apps are they only good for mainly outback and not able to be used for "both" outback and around town navigation??

A good friend of mine introduced me to benefits GPS's and he taught me use Garmin GPS's and that's really all I've used and love using. I've got both a PC program along with the normal GPS both with the usual Topo and city maps and find they work great. You can zoom into any level w/o any pix-elation and have the one tracklog w/o having to save it when changing between navigating systems (like the Hema HNI6 which uses Ozi & the I-GO)..... but I'm also wanting to branch out and learn more about the Ozi mapping that the majority of people seem to use.... I assume that Ozi / Hema / Memory Map / Mud Map / VMS products all operate similarly ???
The flexibility of using Tablets/Ipads, etc has got me interested in wanting to learn more about them and what's out there..... What are people's experiences, etc ??

cheers....
rob
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505934

Reply By: Mark T6 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 08:09

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 08:09
I use a Tom Tom for around town, turn by turn Navigation and Hema on the I-Pad for outback stuff.

Maps are great, tracking software is a good record of where you have been but it does not do turn by turn navigation (well if it does I haven't worked out how to use it yet).

It's the complete package for me, mobile internet (when available), Music stored and connected to my Prado's sound system, Foxtel Go app to watch the news and footy (when internet is available), stores my photo's and doesn't take up much room.

Only downside is when using all of the above, even with the car power plug in I need to run my little inverter every night off the second battery to charge it up...the tracking software is the power hungry part!!

Mud maps is VMS, I imagine it's almost the same as Hema......$150 on I-Tunes but as someone else has stated you can get discounts on I-Tunes cards and bring that back to about $120...and for every map they have (topo as well) and to be able to see exactly where you are on that map through GPS is nothing less than supurb.

I bought the I-Pad instead of the Hema Navigator, and so pleased I did!!
AnswerID: 505941

Follow Up By: DIGGER 12 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 09:55

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 09:55
Thanks mark that is the same way that i'm looking at going one my thing on the i pad if you have a cradle i think you can record/ video some of the track you travel on ,now that is the next thing on the list,may find one at the 4x4 show in brisy in 2 week looking forward to that again thanks Mark big help.... ps just cashed in my cc reward points on i-turn card's now i can get the 2 of them love it when a plan comes together .. Digger
FollowupID: 782843

Follow Up By: Member - TheFox3305 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:59

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:59
Mark

My experience is ff you buy the correct adapter for your 12v outlet in the car, the iPad will run all day & charge whilst driving. I bought one in Kmart and this is a similar one on ebay.

Look for ones marked 2.1 amp or more.

Trevor

FollowupID: 782864

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 22:02

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 22:02
Mark,

I have a 12V plug with a 2.1Amp outlet for the iPad and a 0.5amp outlet for the phones (about $12 on e-bay).

We run hema maps on the iPad (and take video with it along the interesting tracks). My wife uses the iPad plugged into the outlet most of the time we are on the move, but it still needs charging up each night.

Really like the Hema maps. We also have wiki camps (which is either free or only a few dollars) and it's very useful for finding free camp sites.

Rob

FollowupID: 782913

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:42

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:42
Thanks for that tip, clearly using the wrong one!!
FollowupID: 782927

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 19:40

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 19:40
I already had the Hema Maps on disc. These can be used by Bit Map. I purchased the VMS app. It was subsequently renamed MudMap. If you are happy with just the 1:250 000 scale then Memory-Map is a cheap option. I also use OzRunways which includes the WAC charts.
I think you find that if you buy any of the above you can use it on several devices which is handy.
Whatever app you choose you can't go wrong with the devices you mention. I also run OziExplorer on a Nexus 7. It takes ages to boot and is much harder to use.

Bob
AnswerID: 505993

Sponsored Links