New Generation RVs from China

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 14:05
ThreadID: 100853 Views:3195 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Review the range of "Travel Trailer" & Motorhomes from China.

Don't faint at the prices.

New Rv Products

http://gwauto.en.alibaba.com/product/286201342-209802893/travel_trailer.html

JohnG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 14:53

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 14:53
Actually the prices are not any cheaper compared to a similar sized Jayco in the USA.

Jayco Flight Swift
AnswerID: 505902

Follow Up By: Tim - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:09

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:09
Looking at that site briefly, I couldn't find new van prices but second hand vans appear to be a fraction of the cost we are paying which would indicate new prices are also significantly lower.
Would this imply we are paying too much for vans over here?
Tim
FollowupID: 782810

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:19

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:19
Brand new 29ft Jayco caravans can be had for around $22,000 USD.
FollowupID: 782813

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:55

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:55
we pay a ridiculous price for our vans compare with Europe, US, SA etc

You can buy Oztents $100 cheaper in America and that's after they've paid to ship them over there. As long as our cashed up grey nomads keep forking out the rip-off will continue. Just look at the proliferation of flashy new vans on the road. Not going to change any time soon as long as people keep on paying it.
FollowupID: 782816

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:57

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:57
btw, I couldn't buy an Oztent or Foxwing awning from the US because they've got it all tied up with "trade agreements".
FollowupID: 782817

Follow Up By: Nutta - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 22:01

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 22:01
Of course grey nomads will keep buying new, just like everyone else buys cars, vans, boats etc, are we supposed to stop spending for a year or 2?
FollowupID: 782825

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 15:03

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 15:03
Please tell me this is April 1.
AnswerID: 505904

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 15:04

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 15:04
Hmmm, 70 Kph is a bit on the low side for a caravan max speed.
AnswerID: 505905

Follow Up By: Member - ken m4 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 22:22

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 22:22
Also not sure about other specifications regarding brakes widths weights etc. I think on what they show on that brochure australian compliance may be an issue
FollowupID: 782828

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:11

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:11
45 days delivery time...???
JS.
AnswerID: 505914

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 20:44

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 20:44
Hi John,

I wouldnt touch them,They look dodgy and most things IMHO out of China have been built to a price. I'd rather built to a standard any time.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 505923

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:48
What standard is that Wilko? A few vans may be well built but it appears from comments I've read on various forums and our own experience, that many are built to a price.
And don't bother making a warranty claim with certain manufacturers either.
We bought a new van in WA about 15 months ago and after 7 months pointed out that there was bad scallopping of the nearside tyre.
The retailer didn't even look at it, just dismissed it as bad alignment. No suggestion either of how it could be fixed as with the type of independent suspension fitted it was set at manufacturing time.
After seeking assistance from Consumer Affairs (or whatever they call themselves these days) they agreed to replace the shocks, then eventually to replace the tyre.
Now the tyre fitter has found the wheel has a very bad wobble and there's no evidence of any damage to the rim at all. Obviously badly made so it's back to the retailer I suppose for them to deny liability again.:-)
Other things have gone wrong....head protetector inside above the door fell off. Fitted badly with little pop rivets into soft wood!!!
Info plate on front of chassis disappears, maker yet to respond to request for a new one.
Pelmet over windows fell off. Curtains had holes throughout the backing material but they've all been replaced after some arguement.
Now it's out of warranty but I'm going to pursue all claims as it's just plain shoddy work and they obviously have the motto of "Never mind the quality, feel the width".
If we ever decide to risk buying another van we'll look overseas to see what's on offer, although saying that we feel not all van makers are like the one we mistakenly bought from.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 782851

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:46

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:46
I thought the same thing, Alan. I've sure seen some horror stories in thisForum about poorly built caravans. And you just added your another one!
FollowupID: 782860

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 12:32

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 12:32
AlanTH
There are exceptions to the rule but, have you seen the calibre of people who are employed by caravan builders to make caravans?
Very worrying.
The company has to have more than just profit on their mind to be a reasonable company.
Quality control isn't considered by most manufacturers because it costs them time and money to ensure the quality of the build.
To pick up shoddy work you have to have someone who is caring and discerning enough to be able to recognize the errors. There is no one at most caravan makers capable of such simple things.

Why is, it even though they have been in the industry many years, someone from outside the industry can easily find errors in assembly and welding ie across the top surface of the A frame.
As you have mentioned, some bits just fall of and show the assembly integrity all by itself.

The tyre wear issue absolutely proves no one ever checked anything about the suspension or it's alignment.

If buying a van, looking at second hand shows the tyre wear if abnormal, and you can generally see the bits which are a bit lacking in substance, with new all is unknown and yet to be proven.
The insides of most new caravans is like a Rat with a Gold Tooth.
Looks flashy, but what it is fitted into isn't worth a rats armpit.

Ross M
FollowupID: 782867

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 13:25

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 13:25
Agreed there are some dodgy builders in Oz, but im my experience doing due diligence looking at getting China to manufacture products, they'll take every avenue they can to make more profit.

They cut costs by reducing the quality of the materials they use and so forth and it goes right down the supply chain (the suppliers suppliers etc).

In my job I've got my manufacturers up to a standard but less then 6 months later we've experienced probs

It seems to be endemic thru out the Chinese business. Malaysia, Thailand and South Korea would be a far better alternative.

At least you can trust them

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 782874

Follow Up By: ReCon - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:24
In a way Wilko you are correct. Once the new ones of these start to compete with the 'quality' [cough] brands , then the used priced may get a beating.

High second hand depreciation eventually hurts a retail floor price

However I think that pre- blaming a company for using cheap quality price parts before they arrive and can be compared with the equipment already in todays 'van is a long bow to draw.

Just playing around on sites like AB , I found the parts a leading caravan manufacturer in Victoria are using.
The materials are , at best , garbage. The jockey wheel on my BRAND NEW 'van failed in the drive when I picked it up at the yard. It broke the second one 36 days into out trip [stationery parked for the time ].

They buy parts in huge bulk for next to nothing.

Alternatively, the workmanship is shocking , as is the build quality. Pre/Post inspection for licensing, and gas/power instal is done in bulk. They are never inspected and like mine , I suspect many have serious dangerous , non- legal instals between the walls cavity.

In reality , with a cheap Chinese 'van , at least you might get what you pay for! :P
FollowupID: 783149

Reply By: John G17 - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:55

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:55
Did you Notice, the "travel trailer" is equipped with a "waste water tank". A requirement of the now becoming popular "Self Contained Camping"

JohnG

http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/motorhoming_information/cmca_schemes/LeaveNoTrace.php
AnswerID: 505953

Sponsored Links