Broome/Derby

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 22:35
ThreadID: 100876 Views:2372 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
There's a beach at or near one of the above towns where caravaners/tourists/grey nomads camp for long periods - I think at one time some almost lived there.

Can anybody tell the town and the name of the location I'm thinking off and which town it's closest to please?

If you've actually camped there I'd be very interested in reading your comments on it.

My wife and I are considering flying up there and hiring a car for a few days soon to check it all out before driving the Kidson Track from Adelaide to 80 mile beach [if it's still possible] and on to this location later in the year.

Any thoughts on this plan from people who have been to the area would be appreciated.

Macca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gary.L - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 23:30

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 23:30
Hi Macca

I think that the place you could be talking about is a place called Quandong Point. Quite a few camping spots to choice from, with nice beaches. Unfortunately with the camp site being quite close to James Prices Point, you will be intimidated by Woodside security taking photo of you in your camp, at anytime of the day and night.

Gary
AnswerID: 506009

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 00:46

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 00:46
Another option for you Macca

Barn Hill is about an hour drive south of Broome and has some long term tenants - very basic camping (low voltage power on site) - many are totally self sufficient and stay for the winter period.

They even have lawn bowls, and the site is right on the cliffs overlooking the beach.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506011

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 08:22
Macca,

The Kidson has been rebuilt and graded it’s entire length in 2012. This is to support mineral exploration activity north of Razor Blade and Gwenneth Lakes.

Some EO members travelled the route last year and found signs blocking the track at either end. I do not believe that they have a right to do this as it has been a gazetted road as far as we could ascertain. The members did travel the route. I’m not sure what the state of affairs is this year and whether the exploration has continued. Given that Telfer just had seven inches of rain in under 24 hours from the coastal cyclone, I’d say there may be a bit of water damage needing repair.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506015

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:24

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:24
Hi Mick,
I did it in September last year, the road was graded up to the mine camp and after that it was back to the old track to Kunawarritji. Their were no signs and only call points going over crests did not see anyone the entire trip.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782932

Reply By: Member - David G (WA) - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:59

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:59
Hi Macca

The Kidson was graded from the coastal highway to the Razor Blade Bore area and then turned North,and as Mick says the Sandhills will be channeled again and the creek crossings washed out after the heavy rainfalls in that area. If you are considering towing a camper through there it would need to be of the off road type.

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 506026

Reply By: Macca - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:41

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:41
Thanks a lot for all the replies.

I won't be intimidated by mining 'security' or by 'null and void' illegal signs on public roads - I very much hope no other bona fide travellers will either. If anybody touches a traveller or their vehicle or interferes with there journey in any way in those circumstances, it should be reported to the Police at the first opportunity - 'assault' in all its forms is still a serious transgression in this society. If they believe you are breaking a law - not a mining company's unilateral 'policy' that has no real force in such circumstances - they should call the Police to apprehend you and take any necessary steps. As far as I am aware mining company's have no special legal powers in these circumstances. If there has been an Act, Regulation or ordinance properly enacted to prevent travelers using a particular public road (which is a very complex subject in itself) then that Act, Regulation or ordinance should be cleary set out on the sign or clearly named by any 'security'.

End of rant.

I'll check out both suggestions.

AnswerID: 506029

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:11

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:11
Don't just carry on about the miners. We have only just shifted from living very near James Price Point for several years and the scariest problem my wife was having was from the protesters filming her and standing in front of the car on a regular basis, not the Miners.
I don't know where you are from but the idea you just call the Police shows you have not lived up there.
They are busy doing more serious problems like the stabbings, bashing's and murders in their area that covers thousands of square kilometers.
When our house was broken into and many,many thousands of dollars of gear gone I called them to ask if they were coming and the reply was, quote, "do you think your the only person to have their house broken into" ? and then he hung up so I don't think they will be interested in your problem of signs, security personnel, somebody touching you or your precious car and "transgression in this society".
If you feel you have a point to make up there, go into the Broome copshop and tell them and film it for us to watch so we can have a laugh at your expense and watch you leave with your tail between your legs.
FollowupID: 783139

Follow Up By: Macca - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:16

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:16
I actually expected many many more rude, illogical and just plain viscous replies to my (I thought) well written contribution about companys with mining leases 'blocking' public roads probably with no legal right. There are a lot of ex-mining company employees and ex-government employees that contribute here - and that's fine of course. But PLEASE learn to read and digest the thread that you reply to before posting an irrelevant and moronic reply!!!!-it may make you feel better but it doesn't advance the debate - if there is one - about COMPANYS WITH MINING LEASES 'BLOCKING' PUBLIC ROADS PROBABLY WITH NO LEGAL RIGHT!

Macca

FollowupID: 783170

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 13:15

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 13:15
Macca

I would say that in WA there is more issues over Pastoral Leaseholders illegally blocking access to public roads than miners. Mining leases are very well regulated and there is structure for compalints and resolution. Also Miners generally are concious of public image.
Pastoralist generally have a different atttude

Alan
FollowupID: 783173

Follow Up By: Macca - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 13:47

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 13:47
Hi Alan

Yes that could very well be the case - I'm no expert on pastoral leases but I thought their rights were of the "access cannot be unreasonably refused" type - as I say I really don't know for sure.

I should add I've just seen the Exploroz Treks entry on the Kidson and access and I read there that the Aboriginal owners have entered into agreements with mining companys' regarding upgrading the road and giving them exclusive use of the upgraded road.

That may then mean that 'blocking' the road by the Aboriginal owners pursuant to their land rights and agreements made under those rights may be totally legal - I think that it's high time all these issues should be pubicly aired and the legal framework supporting road closures (for example) should be easilly accessable to travellers and completely transparent.

The current rumour, innuendo, sudden erection of 'signs' scuttlebut etc etc does nothing to help the land rights debates and only serves to arm the racist element in society with 'bullets to fire' on the issue

Quoting form the Exploroz article, are:

triple road trains, trucks, road graders and other heavy vehicles are now travelling along this single lane track under strictly controlled work site conditions every day and night in both directions.

??? That seems an extraordinary claim for a mining company to make!!!Driving a road train over the Kidson Track night and day in both directions???

But assuming it's accurate - if the conditions are strictly controlled, why can't bona fide travelers use the road anyway??? It's 'strictly controlled' isn't it???

I'd like to hear REASONED contributions from others on this and related issues...

FollowupID: 783176

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 14:44

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 14:44
Macca

In relation to the Kidson track, it would depend i suppose on wether it was an actual public road to start with. Public as defined to be a Gazette road, such as Great Eastern Hwy. If it is a non gazetted road running through Aboriginal land, it is probably classed as a Private rd, then the owners can do what they want.

If a mining company has then spend $ to upgrade the road and maintain it, there is proabably rights they then have over use of it.

There are two other examples of this situation, being the access and egress tracks from Well 5 & 9 on the CSR. The tracks are maintained by the stations and pass through their land, and a fee is payable for their use. Not sure what the legaility is but most people seem to pay it with out arguement.

There are two other issues often overlooked, Safety and Duty of Care issues. The easiest way for these to be managed is exclude all unnesecary persons.
FollowupID: 783177

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:05

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:05
Macca,

thats the spirit. Bloody miners reckon they own it.

When you reach the end of the Kidson at the Northern Hwy, turn left. After a few kms of luxurious bitumen turn right down the track to the beach. Seeing the turquoise Indian Ocean after crossing the continent (left bitumen at Marla) is one of the best moments of my 4WD life.

This is where your caravanners stay.

We drove down onto the beach and ran into the water, only to be told later that a big salty had been cruising up and down the beach.

Have a great trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 506155

Follow Up By: Macca - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:21

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:21
Thanks Bob - I can imagine the thrill at seeing the Ocean after the trip on the Kidson...

Macca
FollowupID: 783107

Sponsored Links