turbo diesel Toyota hilux

Submitted: Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 12:24
ThreadID: 100894 Views:15153 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hey I am looking at some hilux's and am wondering if anyone knows of any problems with the 2007 till 2009 turbo diesel 4wd dual cab hilux's?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:11

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:11
hi spaanderman65
go on the toyota hilux forum site you need plenty of time to read all about the problems that hiluxs have -lol
cheers
AnswerID: 506037

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:48

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:48
Very little problems and most a few and far between.....

There has been issues with the injectors and clutch and thats about it.

The injector issue can be expensive as can the clutch.

When we had ours we had the clutch done at about 70k due to a clicking noise every now and then, had the clock spring in the air bag replaced at about 95k, at 100k redid the viscous engine fan and when it was new had a small plastic clip replaced. thats about it.

I would have to say the Hilux is the best built 4x4 ute on the market.... we have a new Ford Ranger 3.2lt 6 speed auto and its very good and in some cases better then the Hilux but it's still not a Hilux.

The only reason for not getting the new Hilux was it's old technology compared to the current crop of 4x4 utes.

The Hilux has bet resale value and is more desirable then most of the other cheaper 4x4 utes.
AnswerID: 506051

Reply By: snow - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:54

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:54
I have been looking at the same model Hilux. Some online research I have done indicates injector / pump issues which apparently can be costly to repair. A mate of some 20 years and a car dealer said he had experienced same and recmmended going '08 model or up as the issue was rectified by the '08 model.

No its not personal experience but the info may give you something to look for at least.
AnswerID: 506052

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 18:00
They may have modified injectors in the later model but so does the prado in their D4D engines and still having issues with them, eg leaking seals. My mate had an 07 prado which he bought new and just traded it with 130k on it and on its third set of injectors, the first been done not long after getting it ( bleep ty rough idle and noisy as hell in the mornings especially if it was cold weather). He traded it as it was out of warranty and was up for another 2 injectors again. There is plenty of info on prado point also about motors going bang due to this issue and blocking up the oil pick ups in the sump and starving the engines of oil. And yes this is on vehicles with full service histories and some also changing their oil and filter every 5k using genuine filters and good quality oils. There still having issues with the new 150's so there is definitely still a problem although Toyota wont admit it.........In saying that my neighbor is coming up for nearly 300 thou on his extra cab and hasn't touched it except put in heavier spring in the rear as he's a builder but is still running the original clutch and hadno injector issues. Seems to be luck of the draw I think......And yes I would have a new ranger anyday over an out dated hilux even their current model still running a 4 speed auto.......
FollowupID: 782970

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 18:39

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 18:39
Kimba10
A full service history means the book has been stamped and has no bearing on how well or if the service was actually done at all.
The well respected and sought after service history can mean, serviced, partly serviced or practically no service. Just take you pick.

Oil pick up blocking? I would imagine the only thing to block it could be poor or no servicing. Same with fuel filters not being replaced but stamped in the book anyway.

Ross M
FollowupID: 782975

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 19:36

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 19:36
Kimba...... can you please put some links up on where you have found these posts on Prado Point, I'm having trouble finding them.
FollowupID: 782983

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 19:49

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 19:49
You are wrong in regards to ""I would imagine the only thing to block it could be poor or no servicing. Same with fuel filters not being replaced but stamped in the book anyway""
It is happening from the injector seals leaking and allowing diesel into the sump oil. As I said my mates was well serviced including the oil he did himself every 5k in between the 10 thousand service by Toyota, even if Toyota were on the sly and not doing it which they were as my mate is the first to double check what Toyota do it, it was still getting done every 10k in that case. Injector issues had nothing to do with filters been changed. Again my mate did his more then required by Toyota's service books and still has major issues with injectors

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?24658-Toyota-Feedback-Injector-seal-leak-screen-clogging-Engine-failure/page3

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/41948-Any-photos-of-blocked-or-clear-oil-strainer-in-sump

Have a read for yourself...........
FollowupID: 782986

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 21:20

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 21:20
Kimba thanks for the links but I think this is typical forum hype.

The funny thing is with all the people who are members of a forum who have D4D engines there was only one guy who maintains 300+ D4D engined vehicles who has had 2 fail and another 10 with dirty pickups.

The internet seems to be a tool for making "make a mountain out of a molehill "

Sure there is a small problem and no vehicle manufacture is exempt from it.

If you listen to some on the internet you would swear every second D4D had major problems which is not the case.

Look at problems Toyota's had with 80 and 100 series, Holden with their 5.7 V8 and rear diffs in the utes , Ford and not forgetting Nissan.

And all of the above sell well and many don't have a problem.
FollowupID: 783000

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 23:36

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 23:36
Hi there olcoolone, you may be write, but I definately know of people who have//had injector issues and also blown motors (low klms too) but also plenty who have done big kms with no issues, luck of the draw I reckon. Some people who actually own the D4D's are referring to them like some people do the ZD30 patrol motors. Personally I wouldn't buy a new D4D now in any Toyota as I think they are way behind compared to the likes of the VW, BT50, Ranger, etc I've always been a Toyota person (always had lux's and prados) but if I was to go for a new ute now I wouldn't hesitate in buying a new ranger. Toyota need to lift there game now, still running the same D4D since 05 in the lux and only 343nm still and 4 speed auto................
FollowupID: 783017

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:49

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:49
I have an 06 TD Hilux and replaced my injectors at 95k , other than that nothing has gone wrong, I am at 180,000km's now and the vehicle is running better than ever. The injector issue seems to have gone away from what I am hearing and so I have come to the conclusion Toyota were partly to blame. P.S. I forgot to say my clockspring did fail however that was replaced outside of warranty but it took a different dealer to do it for me, my original dealer wanted money.

Despite the injectors going I love the vehicle and won't change it until they release the new model.
FollowupID: 783119

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 20:05
Another one goes................
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27456-Who-has-had-Engine-Failure-in-120-series
FollowupID: 783142

Reply By: Member - Neil L1 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:47

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:47
I have a 07 Prado D4D and had an injector seal problem at 118k resulting in the replacement of injectors and seals. I have also installed additional fuel filtration to ensure that the vulnerable injectors are adequately protected from dirty fuel. All is now well at 135k and the oil pickup has no contamination at all. The only other issue is a recently diagnosed thrust bearing problem which is apparently quite common. Having listened to many other common rail engines, most sound pretty bad but that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem although injector issues are not confined to Toyotas. Regular servicing and keeping a lookout for telltale signs (ie. smoke on startup) should ensure relatively trouble free motoring. There will always be the odd one that goes bang regardless of the make.
AnswerID: 506080

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:56

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:56
Gidday

There was a recall of over 100,000 hiluxes in 2010 to to repair a potentially faulty bracket on the drive shaft of four-wheel-drive models built between January 2005 and February 2010. The recall was only being conducted in Australia following 19 failures that left the cars potentially stranded and driving only two wheels.

Might want check that out

Cheers

AnswerID: 506081

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 09:43

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 09:43
That's pretty good given they sold more Hiluxes than Commodores..!
FollowupID: 783169

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:53

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:53
Hi Spanderman, The current series Hilux is probably the biggest success story in Australian car sales since the ute was invented. To put the Hilux in perspective we are talking about a vehicle that for some months was the number one selling product in the country, ahead of everything else, small cars included. It's an impressive story that will no doubt continue and is for very good reason, we're talking about a damm good rig that is reliable and affordable to run. Do your normal due diligence when buying a vehicle, have it tested if need be, and I'm sure it will serve you well.
AnswerID: 506246

Sponsored Links