Inflatable canoes

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:24
ThreadID: 100913 Views:3008 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone on here have experience with an inflatable canoe? Considering buying a Sevylor Colorado model (2 person) canoe. To be used on inland lakes and rivers etc (not in ocean and not up north where the big lizards are). I like the idea of being able to deflate and pack away when not in use.

All information welcome and thanks in advance for any replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 15:27

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 15:27
Gday,
A mate of mine has a single inflateable canoe which we have all used for years.
I reckon they are great as long as you are careful with them. Just be aware if they do happen to get ripped ( or someone paddles past and pulls the plug) they do go down very quickly! I bought a Quinn (plastic type) rather than an inflateable because of size (mine holds 10 people LOL) and durability, but if storage is an issue and you dont put a hole in them the inflateables are great.

Cheers
AnswerID: 506106

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 17:55

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 17:55
Hi we use a SeaEagle FastTrack kayak , our next trip will involve packing camping gear for one or two nights arround the Coongie Lakes area.

seaeagle kayaks

Regards Jim
AnswerID: 506114

Reply By: Member - willawa - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:02
Krooznalong

Sea eagle is my recommendation we have one (a2p) and find it great ,check out their web site,they have a number of models to choose from,they are easy to inflate,of strong construction and stable. Some of the others brands appear to be a little light on.
They do have an agent in Melbourne . delivery is ex USA and only takes about a week to be delivered to the east coast .

Chers
Ed
AnswerID: 506126

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:52

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:52
I have had the Colorado too. It was great (my ex has it now) & pretty easy. Good for sheltered bays too.
One tip is we bought the double sided panels to be able to get goign a bit better.

Vicki
AnswerID: 506130

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:55

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 21:55
We have a Sevylor inflatable boat - haven't used it much but its pretty easy to inflate and pack up. Main comment would be that it is supposed to be a 6 person boat but 4 really is the limit. Sevylor brand has been around for a long while, they are tough and have multiple bouyancy chambers so if you do get a hole you wont have the boat sink underneath you.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506131

Reply By: Maaate - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:38

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:38
I have two Sevylor kayaks which work really well. Would definitely suggest getting the optional 'skeg' (or fin), which increases directional stability. Very easy to paddle in sheltered waters. A bit of a handful when windy.

I bought some tyre valves, which work well to inflate them. Just attach the valve to your compressor, and insert the rubber end into the valve. It's the perfect size and just needs to be wet when inserted. Be VERY careful not to over-inflate.

Cheers
Maaate
AnswerID: 506137

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:40

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:40
Maate - thanks for info
How long does it take to set the thing up from go to whoa?
FollowupID: 783109

Follow Up By: Maaate - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:07

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:07
Not long. Seems about five minutes with the 12v compressor. (A TJM brand '4WD' compressor. (Both inflation and deflation are about a stubby's worth! :)

A couple of tips:

a) The Boston valves (the type where you unscrew the internal bit) make deflation easy. The seats have the small valves, similar to what you would find on a beach ball. I normally get something like a drinking straw to hold the valve open whist deflating.

b) Try not to get any sand caught when folding them up. Causes scratches and weak spots. So far, I haven't had any leaks though.

c) Get a good duffel strong bag to store them. I used one of those plastic boxes for a while, but the canvas bag has survived better.

d) Main problem seems to be separting the two parts of the oars when you're done. Sand etc. makes them hard to loosen. Try some dry lube before putting the two pieces together.

Cheers
Maaate
FollowupID: 783147

Reply By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 17:42

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 17:42
Hi Krooznalong

We bought a 2 person Bic Sports Kayak (the YAKKair HP2 Fishing model) about 12 months ago. Great bit of gear and we have used it extensively last spring on Coopers Creek, the river at Nindigully, the Darling river and some other smaller rivers in NW NSW. Over summer we cruised throughout Tasmania and spent lots of time paddling in various lakes and rivers. It comes in a backpack and so it is easy to carry down to the river / lake to be inflated if required. It has three separate inflatable chambers - the keel, the floor and the hull so it would be extremely difficult to sink. The seats can be positioned for two paddlers or repositioned for a single paddler if required. It also comes complete with 2 x seats, 2 x fold up paddles, a double action pump, which takes about 10 minutes to inflate the kayak. The total cost of the package was around $1800. I have no affiliation with Bic but I am a satisfied customer. This is their web address.

http://www.bicsportkayaks.com
AnswerID: 507149

Sponsored Links