route to the 'Dig Tree'

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 15:03
ThreadID: 101006 Views:2361 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We want to go to the 'Dig Tree' from Singleton NSW. - no trouble to Tibooburra! but whats the track like to tow an 18' van to the tree then to innamincka and then back down through 'Merty Merty' and to 'Cameron Corner'? - Aunty Lou & Old B.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - D&G SA - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 15:28

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 15:28
OK if it's an Off roader
AnswerID: 506494

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 16:28

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 16:28
Bryan,
Go to the ExplorOz member list and find member Heather MG. She and her husband (or partner) did that trip last year towing what I think is often referred to as a semi off road van. Her blog is a good read. You will get a lot of valuable information from it.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506497

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 16:39

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 16:39
The run into the Dig Tree from the Adventure Way can get a bit 'graunchy' if there's weather about - best to ask before you try - last time I was there the main crossing was a bit high - had to take a side route.

Otherwise, I can't see too much issue with the rest if you take it easy. Bit of bull-dust between Bourke & Wanaaring - beyond Tibo to thru CC to Innamincka is OK.
AnswerID: 506498

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 17:33

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 17:33
Hi Bryan,

We took our 18ft Jayco sterling outback through Warri Gate and then Santos and Orientos Stations to the Dig tree last winter...here is a link to the blog I wrote about it.

An Interesting drive from Warri Gate to The Dig Tree Campsite on Cooper Creek

You can check out the road conditions at RTA Live traffic online, or at Broken Hill or Tibooburra immediately before setting out. There is Telstra 3G at Tibooburra.

From The Dig tree, we drove into Innamincka and had a look around although almost all of the tracks were closed due to recent rain. The morning we left it rained and instead of driving the dirt route to meet the Diamantina Development road and then Windorah, we had to drive to Noccundra on the mostly sealed road as many of the dirt roads were closed.
I can't give you any details of the drive from Innamincka and through to Cameron Corner but someone else on EO will hopefully. We did a day trip to the corner from Tibooburra.But you can check out any of the other blogs I wrote about the rest of the trip. I love that country so much (in the winter!).

regards,

Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506503

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:45

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:45
I'll let others talk about the tracks southward from Innamincka but if you head towards the Dig Tree from Thargomindah you only have to deal with a mere 22kms of unsealed road on the Adventure Way all the way to the Qld border.

The 17kms from the border to Innamincka though is another story but certainly possible with your van if you take your time (which given the road condition you haven't really much choice).
AnswerID: 506627

Sponsored Links