Solar Regulator

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 20:12
ThreadID: 101017 Views:2902 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everyone,
Yes another solar question.
Have 2 AGM batteries not sure how many Amp hr in a Jayco Sterling Outback, I would like to fit solar panels and reg to the van, already have solar panels from camper trailer.
Solar panels are wired together in parallel to give max. voltage. The system worked very well in the camper.
Question. Type, size and some advice on fitting, little bit cautious as I don't want to interfere with the 40 amp 240v charger.
I did talk to Peter from battery Value when set the camper regulator up, unable to find him on Explore Oz as a business member.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:16

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:16
Allan H
Just to clarify what you said in relation to the connection type of the panels.
You mentioned parallel connected to give max.voltage.
This configuration will give maximum ampere flow but not maximum voltage at all.

You are unlikely to have the panels connected in series to get maximum voltage so the parallel which gives max. current is more appropriate to make use of the total amp hours output.
Connection of solar to your batteries shouldn't be an issue at all even if there is a 240v 40amp charger used. Probably they won't be used at the same time so the charger shouldn't conflict with the solar reg.
If concerned isolate the solar input before 240v charging.

You didn't mention what items are running off the batteries so advice on the panel size and reg type and or connections is unknown.
Ross M
AnswerID: 506521

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 00:17

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 00:17
Hi Allan,
Peter from Battery Value became disillusioned with people challenging his wisdom about battery matters so he withdrew and is no longer a Business Member or contributor on this forum. Our loss I'm afraid.
Battery Value website is here.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506533

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:58

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:58
Hi allan,
All you need is a 20 amp regulator, for preference an MPPT but a PWM will do the job nearly as well. Just like this one.

We cannot tell your panels output from your description so I am guessing it could be anything from 40 to 160 watts. Either way the advice I have given still applies.

Simple connection. Keep the regulator as close to the batteries as you can but keep in mind it needs to be where it can be regularly checked and in a convenient position for that.

The length of the leads to the reg from the panel are not as critical as they are from the reg to the batteries.

Use 6mm wire Such as this and you can't go wrong.

Wiring instructions are easy as most regs tell you what goes where.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506586

Reply By: BrigalowO - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 07:38

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 07:38

Allan, the batteries are probably Ritar 100ah, as I have a Sterling Outback also.

Here is an image of my setup comprising six 135watt Kyocera panels (2 x 3 ) on two seperate circuits (a dual system) Seperate cabling leads to two 25amp Sunsaver Duo controllers, one circuit supplies solar power to the above batteries for house power, and the other circuit to a Fullriver 150ah dedicated compressor fridge battery.

It is a proven system and you can never have enough solar panels, if you are serious about bush camping, away from the umbilical power cord of caravan parks.
AnswerID: 506614

Sponsored Links