4 cylinder diesel question & tyres

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 14:08
ThreadID: 10105 Views:2181 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I’m looking around for a Hilux ute for occasional desert trips (SA and NT) and bush trips out west in NSW and for a run around town car when not on trips. I like the look of the Hilux because it isn’t too big yet looks like it has very good off road performance. I’ll go for a dual cab to fit the 2 (young) kids in. I’ll probably have to settle on a late 80s early 90s model to match my budget but I’m happy to keep it for a while and iron out little bugs as they crop up.

The questions I have are-

1/ 4 cylinder diesel engines? (I’m talking about 2.4lt and 2.8lt engines) I’ve heard varying comments from friends – everything from “those little 4 cylinder engines were rubbish – you’re better off with a petrol” to “diesel’s the only way to go for reliability etc”. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between. Any comments? Preferably from mechanic types who’ve been on the business end of servicing or fixing up problem engines in older vehicles. (I should say that I’m not all that worried about the lower performance of the little 4 cylinder engines – what I’m asking about is the reliability and cost of maintaining it).

2/ Wheels – from what I’ve read it sounds like I want light truck tyres for durability rather than car tyres. What size/width are best for about 60% around town but will still perform OK in sand and scrubby stuff in western NSW for the other 40% (I won’t be doing much rocky stuff, if any). And I’ve noticed that some run non-Toyota rims – what’s the benefit of doing that?

BTW - I’ve just discovered this forum – great work everyone, it’s good to see a really informative and useful forum on the web!

Thanks,

Luke.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 17:39

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 17:39
G'day Luke,
I have a 95 hilux dual cab diesel. the only problem that i have had with it is that one of the gaskets in the front end causes the front diff to leak oil - not a bad leak but i hate any leaks. Gasket costs 20 cents but its a 4 hour job. My mechanic has had hilux's for the past 10 years or there abouts and he has always said 'drop the oil every 5000km and you will ward off major engine trouble.'
It costs me
$30 for oil
$10 oil filter
$50 fuel filter
$30 air cleaner - washable
Add $55 for labour when the mechanic does it.
i get about 9 - 10 l/ 100 km. What more can i say i am extreemly happy with it and it has never 'broken down'.

As for wheels, i have had the 205's split rims, 31.5's and currently have 9.5's on it.
I would go for Coopers ST or BFG all terrain as the tyres i have at the moment are crap. Off road the wide tyres are better for sand split rims are fine too if you have the correct pressure.
Basically its up to you.
Hope this helps
Troy
AnswerID: 44769

Reply By: Poida4x4 - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:37

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:37
I had an old Hilux Dual cab that had the 2.8L Diesel. I owned it for 3 years and serviced it every 7-10,000kms. Twoz very tough and capable offroad. (See trader, 4x4 for sale, WA) This would be the engine I'd go for if I were you. I tested out some 2.4's while looking for my 'lux and they were pretty gutless in comparison.
The 2.8 feels stronger than the 2.5L turbo in my new Disco and got me 9-10L per 100kms.
BTW - Before I sold it, I changed the CV joints and there was a seal in the front axle housing that had gone, allowing the diff oil to leak. Maybe this is something that happens a bit with the old 'lux...
AnswerID: 44827

Reply By: Luke2 - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 13:19
Thanks Troy and Poida for the wise words. there's a nice little unit that I have my eye on that's got the 2.8 diesel in it - no oil leaks around the motor (and it's got 233000km on it) but it's a bit oily/greasy around the front ball sockets which might be due to that gasket you mentioned Poida. otherwise it drives beautifully and the body is A1 for that vintage - not a spot of rust anywhere. Great advive fellas - thanks again, it's been a big help in making a decision! Now, where'd I put my cheque book...Cheers. Luke.
AnswerID: 44847

Reply By: Pav - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 00:11

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 00:11
I have an 86 dual cab 2.4 diesel which is a little rough around the edges, but has so far proven to be unkillable. I've had it screaming it's lungs out climbing slippery slopes, I've had it bogged to the door handles, I've towed a 24 foot caravan (man was that ever a slow trip) and also towed 2.5 tonnes of slabs (even slower trip). Having said that I've replaced the oil every 5000k's and have changed the diff oil after a couple of deep water excursions (I've now fitted home made breathers and a store bought snorkel)
And it's not just the sub $4000 purchase price that has had me smiling from ear to ear. It's the ongoing costs that have made me really happy. Z9 oil filters (same as all falcons and cost less than $7) Air filters (under $12) and a pretty consisten 10L per 100km even in medium 4wding has been fantastic.

All up I'm pretty impressed with this gutless so called bleep box. So long as you're not in a hurry, I couldn't imagine anything better. I'd certainly recommend one.
AnswerID: 46261

Sponsored Links