Rear bar with dual carriers or jerry can holder??

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:50
ThreadID: 101059 Views:3809 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I've decided to get a strongarm steel rear bar put on my 100 series and the debate as to get dual wheel carriers or one carrier and jerry can holder on the other side? what set up have you got and how do you find it? or to get the dual carriers and a jerry can holder so you can swap them depending on where your going?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:10

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:10
Depends on what sort of terrain your travelling over.
I reckon 2x spares, 1 under the cruiser 1 in the swing out carrier. Jerry cans in the other swing out.
AnswerID: 506685

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:58

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:58
Hi yu jacent,
We have a 100 series with dual wheels, put it on because of desert/outback trips, touch wood have never had a flat (well that's buggered that now), so if had time over again would have one wheel and the other for jerry can.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506695

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:23

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:23
Why not replace the under-car spare and the existing supplementary tank with a 150L Long-Range tank, and carry the two spares on the rear?

This would seem to offer the best of both worlds.

AnswerID: 506703

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:57

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:57
This is what I have done works great. I reckon I have recovered the cost of my 150lt LRA tank in fuel savings by filing in the bigger towns where it is cheaper and not have to keep on filling up at some of the more remote location where $3 a litre is not uncommon. Also if I use a Coles or Woolworths docket I can always get the max 150 litres which is a saving of $12 at the moment and at Woolworths if you spend $5 in store they give you another 4c off which is $6. That is you spend $5 they give you $6 change.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783787

Follow Up By: jacent - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:30

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:30
Hi this is next on the list, getting the wheel carrier and when finances permit will fit a long range tank as well! I live in the northern goldfields but travel around aus so terrain is all different. I have done alot of off road driving and too havent touched my spare in 5 years I have owned the car! I would like dual carriers but the option of the jerry can holder is good too so I might enquire how much it is to have all three and change them out depending on trips / terrain. I also carry a compressor and a plug kit. How do you find the extra weight of the fuel and dual carrier on the rear end? Did you lose much power from the engine with the extra weight? I lost a bit when I fitted 33' wheels..
FollowupID: 783804

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:48

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:48
Jacent,

I installed the LR tank and a single wheel carrier back in 2000 and, frankly, I can't remember the effect on the rear end - I did fit rear air-bags at that same time though so perhaps they assisted. I have a LC80 (petrol).

Since then I've done lots of outback trips towing a K/Kamper so the weight/performance question is academic (for me).

I've had no regrets making these changes and have never had one-finger salutes or horn-blowing to indicate I'd held up traffic so I guess the impact on performance was negligible.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 783816

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:39

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:39
I have fitted OME nitrocharger sport shocks all round with 600 kg constant load springs in the rear to take the wheel carriers and fuel tank so that should be ok! Cant wait to get it finally fitted as it has been on the to do list for a few years now! I was recommended the lomgranger 18o ltr replacement fuel tank in the rear, has anyone got one that can also back up this recommendation??
FollowupID: 783827

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:59

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:59
I fitted one to a previous vehicle,all the the mounting points fitted perfect. In mine I had to reposition the sender unit by 1/4 of a turn, I forgot to do this in the first place and gauge did not register, just somthing to keep in mind.
AnswerID: 506767

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 13:14

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 13:14
I am thinking about that option for the troopy as well . I can get all sorts of water containers to carry 40 lts of water in all sorts of spots inside the 4wd . I couldnt justify spending 2 grand or more to carry 1 spare which i already carry on the rear door and 40 lts of water which i could carry somewhere else . But carrying 2 spare wheels or 1 spare wheel and maybe a outboard motor holder i can justify maybe .
AnswerID: 506831

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:52

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:52
Hi jacent,

on our 80 series Cruiser diesel we have the dual carrier. For last year's Kimberley trip we fitted a double jerry can holder from Powerful 4x4 to one side, spare on the other side and a second spare underneath. The spare under did get a small tear in it's wall which isn't great.

If I had the money I would have fitted a long range tank to either replace the main front tank with a 145 litre tank, or replace the rear sub tank with a 166 litre tank. Couldn't afford it so we went with the above set up.

It worked well and gave us a range of about 1000 kms.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 506868

Sponsored Links