Full Telstra Next G coverage on a reseller

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:04
ThreadID: 101062 Views:6190 Replies:3 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
I have zero affiliation with this company, but some people may be interested in a new Telstra reseller "Boost" that has full Next G coverage according to their help desk, map and website.

$40 per month prepaid for unlimited talk and 3G of data may suit some travellers, and the phones can still be locked to Telstra apparently.

You should check out all the details for yourself and I am sure there are some catches. ( like no 1900 and overseas).

Sounds ok though.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:10

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:10
The new ALDI Mobile plan is even better

Unlimited talk
5g data
$35.00/month

ALDI Phone plans
AnswerID: 506696

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:21

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:21
Lyn, like several other resellers of Telstra, the Aldi network only has access to some of the network. About the same coverage as Optus'. To my knowledge only Boost has full access to the entire Telstra network which is why it is so different.
FollowupID: 783745

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32
Oops wrong button... Anyway.

From Aldi's website
"ALDImobile uses part of Telstra’s 3G mobile network. The ALDImobile mobile product provides a 3G coverage footprint of 97% of the Australian population covering more than 960,000 square kilometres"

From memory, Telstra ( and I guess Boost) is about 99.5%

Take a look at the difference.

97% Aldi Coverage

99.5% Telstra Coverage

There are big chunks of Qld, NSW, SA, WA and NT missing in Aldi's network.

FollowupID: 783749

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 13:18

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 13:18
Kogan is also reselling the 3G and has pretty good coverage for $30 a month, unlimited text and voice and 6gb of data
FollowupID: 783753

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 13:53

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 13:53
AFAIK the Kogan plan has similar coverage to the Aldi offerings so isn't the full blown coverage like through Telstra's plans.
FollowupID: 783754

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 15:35

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 15:35
From Kogan's website

"Kogan uses part of the Telstra Next-G network (under an MVNO agreement) and provides 3G coverage to 97% of Australia's population"

Sounds like the same coverage as Aldi and others. Optus also claims 97% and they have tons of resellers.

FollowupID: 783759

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 17:11

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 17:11
97% of population is about 5% of country. The other 95% of the country is without anything.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783760

Follow Up By: Captain - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:07
I understand Kogan have full 850 MHz (NextG) and 2100 MHz coverage, but NOT the old Telstra 2G (GSM) system.
I suspect there is also probably a bit of pressure from Telstra onto the likes of Kogan to not use the label "NextG" anywhere in their marketing - even if that is what they are reselling.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the ALDI deal is only for the 2100 MHz towers, i.e. more suited to the big centres than the bush. Having said that, I haven't been able to find the ALDI specifics anywhere in writing.
FollowupID: 783764

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:25

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:25
Captain, Telstra decommissioned their entire 2100Mhz network, which was only in the major cities about 2 years ago. It was left with Vodafone. Next G is now all 850Mhz.
FollowupID: 783801

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 19:46

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 19:46
They don't offer Telstra's Next G only Telstra's older 3G that still gives limitations on the range of just over 30 kilometers from a base station...... Next G is around the 130 Kilometers range.

Telstra will never offer resellers the Next G...... they made the mistake with their CDMA network.

The $40 package Boost are offering may not be that good a deal.
AnswerID: 506726

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:42

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:42
According to Boost website, you need an 850Mhz handset, this is Telstra's next G?

Cheers
LeighW

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783780

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:26
Olcoolone it is the 850Mhz full deal Next G network believe it or not.
FollowupID: 783803

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:31

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:31
A good example of why it has to be Next G is the coverage following the Trans Australian Railway. It is 850Mhz Next G and of all the mobile companies, only 2 companies show coverage there. Boost and of course Telstra.
FollowupID: 783805

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:32

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:32
lol 130km----- not even close even on flat ground like whiteman park in the middle of perth reception is extremely marginal frequently dropping right out and that can be more than 5-10k from the nearest tower
FollowupID: 783806

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 21:15

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 21:15
Something going on there get outmore. I can hit the Thargomindah tower from Lake Wyara in Currawinya NP which is 95kms and several low ranges albeit with 6dB gain antenna on the Hilux. Still not bad compared with your experience
FollowupID: 783908

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:45

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:45
Look at the Telstra coverage maps for Next G and GSM http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/state-coverage/

and the Boost coverage http://boost-px.rtrk.com.au/frontend/Coverage.aspx

Even flimsier than Telstra 3g - probably the old 2 g network which they seem to be giving out to onsellers.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506748

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:23
Motherhen, if you look closely, the boost coverage is almost identical to the Telstra coverage map WITHOUT an external antenna ( the darker areas in the Telstra map). The boost website hints a this with the comment that it is the mobile device only. It requires 850mhz phones which are Next G compatible.

From all the enquiries and research I have made it is one and the same thing as Next G
FollowupID: 783800

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:37

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:37
OK, I can accept that Boobook on the Telstra GSM map comparedto the Boost map, but it is still GSM 2 g and 3 g cover area, not Next G cover area; next to useless in rural areas. Your heading Full Telstra Next G is misleading and incorrect. I am only concerned because it is a safety issue when people rely on communications based on a sales spiel, to find they do not work when they need them.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783807

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:33

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:33
I give up.

It is NextG, Not 2G or 3G ( which was totally decommissioned last year).

2G can not even deliver 7MBPS data and has never worked on 850mhz.

It is one and the same full Next G network. I am sure if you do a little homework you will find this to be correct.

The heading is correct and stands, it is the FULL NETWORK COVERAGE NEXT G Service. I did go to a lot of effort to confirm this before posting and was previously in the Telco service provider industry for about 25 years so have a little knowledge on the subject.

Motherhen you can choose to believe what you like, but please check your facts before stating that the post is incorrect.

Boost is a Telstra Next G resale network.

FollowupID: 783821

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:58

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:58
Boobook,

Technically you have it wrong on this one, just called Boost and they offer the full NEXT G Network for 3G BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE Next G 4G Network which is available ONLY to Telstra subscibers.
FollowupID: 783834

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:23

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:23
There seems to be a little confusion here regarding 2G, 3G and next G.

The Boost website indicates you need a dual hand set and that one band is 850mhz, this is definetly Telstra's next G network. Why would Telstra give access to this network, because it now has 4G as its premium service.

The dual band handset can use either 3G or Next G in the cities if its available.

Regarding range of the cells (850mhz) in the cities the number of cells and their siting is largely determined by the geography and the call handling capacity required.

The range of each cell is again determined by the geography, it could be as low as a few hundred meters, ie in a car park upto 150Kms or more.

In the country the handset switches to 850mhz (next G) for longer range or can still use 3G in the towns. The next G equipment due to the frequency and type of modulation used, the height of the towers and antennas can give much greater range than the 3G. They also use linear amplifiers in most country sites of around 130W from memory, whereas in the metro the output power is around 40W.

The 130W can give a slight improvement in range but is not the main reason it is used, cell technology does not act the same as normal radio, due to the way the modulation works increasing power allows the cell base station to handle more traffic ie calls and does not give a much greater range.

With the use of the 850mhz system, high towers and high gain direction antennas ranges of upto 300km are possible under ideal conditions.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783837

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 13:33

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 13:33
The Boost map tells the story. The following statements are from the Boost website. There is no mention of any access to Telstra Next G Network.

"The 12 year relationship between Boost Mobile and Optus ceased on 20 January, 2013 which was done so Boost Mobile and Optus are able to pursue their own strategies. For Boost Mobile this means a new beginning with Telstra on the Telstra 3G Mobile Network."

"We operate our 3G network on the 850MHz frequency and have also introduced the 2100MHz frequency to add capacity in areas of high demand. If your device doesn't support 850MHz, your 3G data and internet services and video calling may not always work. However, your mobile device will continue working for voice calls and SMS, whenever you have 2G network coverage. It may also work for 2G data and internet browsing, but at slower speeds."

"Yes, all Boost Mobile customers on the Telstra 3G Mobile Network will have access to the same network. However, Boost Mobile customers will not have access to the Telstra 4G network. Also, to ensure that you get the most out of your service, it is important your handset is compatible with UMTS (3G) 850MHz. Please refer to the compatibility and unlocking FAQ’s for more info."

"Boost Mobile has access to the full Telstra 3G Mobile Network (excluding 4G coverage). Customers with a compatible UMTS (3G) 850MHz device can access the same speeds and coverage as Telstra customers, including coverage of around 99.3% of the Australian population. The Telstra Wholesale coverage footprint is slightly less and does not have access to the same range of speeds."

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783862

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:19
Motherhen,

I thought I explained this clearly above, after working with Ericsson for 3 years rolling out Telstra's 850mhz next G network I can assure the 850mhz network is the next G network!

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783865

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:28

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:28
Yes you did Leigh and no doubt it would used on Telstra - but this thread is about the Telstra network as being on sold by Boost, and from their website and coverage map it does not include Next G. Note also the last sentence of the last quote "The Telstra Wholesale coverage footprint is slightly less and does not have access to the same range of speeds".

I am only quoting facts here so readers can make their own enquiries and choices according to their needs. It is of no personal interest to me.

A number of travellers are happy with the balance of price and coverage using Amaysim on the Optus network with that network's limitations. Their choice.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783866

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:28

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:28
From wikipedia if you still doubt:

"Next G is a third generation UMTS mobile telecommunication network operated by Telstra in Australia on 850/2100MHz."

"Telstra opted to use the 850 MHz band for Next G in preference to the more common 2100 MHz band, since it requires fewer base stations to provide coverage, providing a lower capital cost.[9] This network was implemented under contract by Ericsson as part of a project internally dubbed "Jersey" and launched on 6 October 2006.[10] HSPA technology was included in the network to provide Australia's first wide area wireless broadband network"

I worked as an Integration Engineer on the Jersey project for three years, if Boost have access to 850mhz network as they claim then they are accessing Telstra's next G network, or more correctly as the most likely don't have thier own network they are reselling Telstra's next G and 3G networks.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783867

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:32

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:32
Caveat emptor
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783868

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:41

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:41
A press release:

"Pre-paid mobile phone provider Boost Mobile will be the first company to resell access to Telstra’s Next G network from January next year.

The two companies have entered into a retail alliance to allow Boost Mobile to use the Telstra network.

A Telstra spokesperson said there are no restrictions on Boost reselling Telstra's Next G offering.
[ Receive up-to-the-minute news on telcos in Computerworld's Telecoms newsletter ]

Kate McKenzie, group managing director at Telstra innovation products and marketing, said the move will allow Telstra to extend its presence in the youth mobile market, with Boost Mobile largely targeting young mobile phone users.

“This agreement aligns with our strategic priorities to build new growth businesses and grow our customer numbers,” McKenzie said.

The Boost Mobile brand will remain intact, with the company to continue to provide mobile plans under its own brand.

The company's current products include pre-paid phones and wireless broadband. "

Telstra does have the ability to limit bandwidth and availability on a particular product ie carrier in this case "Boost" but when I left Telstra around 8 years back they did not do this and I doubt they would now due to the added complexity that would be required. Maybe a data design tech currently working in Telstra mobilies could add some input if their reading this.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783870

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 15:51

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 15:51
Motherhen, to prove the point again, look at the last paragraph of the quote you posted.

"Boost Mobile has access to the full Telstra 3G Mobile Network (excluding 4G coverage). Customers with a compatible UMTS (3G) 850MHz device can access the same speeds and coverage as Telstra customers, including coverage of around 99.3% of the Australian population. The Telstra Wholesale coverage footprint is slightly less and does not have access to the same range of speeds."

Note that Next G IS Telstra's UMTS (3G) network. It's a brand name for it. Nothing to do with 4G
FollowupID: 783875

Follow Up By: Alan How. - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 20:56

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 20:56
Kogan and Aldi are working well in a LARGE radius around the Beechworth Nth East Vic area as I work in different properties from one day to the next. The phone sits alongside another phone on the 'full' Telstra. There's nothing in it!
FollowupID: 783905

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:53

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:53
Choices certainly need to be made on where you will need the phone Alan. Being based in WA, I find them very poor.

Aldi: http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/aldi-mobile-coverage-maps
Aldi Mobile coverage maps depicting mobile phone coverage, mobile broadband speeds and coverage areas. Aldi uses part of the Telstra Next-G network (under an MVNO agreement) and provides 3G coverage to 97% of Australia's population - 6,600 Telstra 850MHz sites - identical to Kogan Mobile.

Kogan: http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/kogan-mobile-coverage-maps
Kogan Mobile coverage maps depicting mobile phone coverage, mobile broadband speeds and coverage areas. Kogan uses part of the Telstra Next-G network (under an MVNO agreement) and provides 3G coverage to 97% of Australia's population - 6,600 Telstra 850MHz sites.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783921

Follow Up By: Alan How. - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:48

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:48
"next to useless in rural areas"

Just not the case Motherhen. I'm yet to fault it. I carry two phones with me. One has the Kogan sim as I use this to load data through an app on the phone for work. If ever the signal becomes subpar, I'll report it here.

99.3% - 97.0% = 2.3% this would be very hard to pick. Fudging the figures? Maybe! I'd be more inclined to think the maps are fudged. They don't look to compare with those percentages. The Optus map showed I had coverage confirmed by Optus so I went with a mobile modem only to find I had no signal. To gain 4 bars I had to fit a 'yagi' antenna to the roof. With the Kogan sim/wholesale network, the phone on the coffee table, I have 4 bars. I'm north and south of Wangaratta, known low/no reception spots. We'll see.

Maybe they are only looking after the more favourable East Motherhen?
FollowupID: 783947

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:42

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:42
With the comparative low population density of the west, I would say so Alan. "Maybe they are only looking after the more favourable East Motherhen?". We live in a big country with a large proportion of low population density so can never expect the geographical cover of countries such as in Europe. Even on the mountainous tiny island of Bali, mobile phones work everywhere.

If you drill in an any of the maps, even Telstra, the thickly covered areas can turn to lace - and WA is relatively flat. We count on getting reception in towns and never rely on reception in between.

However competition from the growing number of resellers should put pressure on prices, which can only be a good thing which ever side of the country we live.

For travellers who want to ensure they can phone in an emergency, satellite is still the only way.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783951

Sponsored Links