CHIPS, CHIPS AND CHIPS

HI Everyone, A very confused friend has a 2009 79 series Toyota ute. He's read up on all the different brands, and is still confused. He reads the Forum all the time, any suggestions for him?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:26

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:26
Yes Ian...crinkle cut BBQ. My favourites

In respect to performance chips, Have a read of my blog where I cover exactly what I did to my 79 series with chip and exhaust.

Building the dream off roader

If he's in Melbourne and is prepared to spend the loot, I'd recommend he has a chat with Turbo Engineering in Thomastown.

One of the things I did prior to fitting mine was spoke to the boys at ARB Thomastown who kindly let me have a test drive of their fully chipped 79 series. I was left in no doubt as to the difference a properly fitted and tuned chip made to the vehicle.

Lastly, there was a very good article in 4x4Action magazine back in 2011 (I think). It explained the difference between the 3 types of chip very clearly and outlined their different modes of operation, the pros and cons of each type. They also did a comparo of all quite a few that were currently on the market. The Stienbaur narrowly beat the Rapid I think it was. In any regards, the article and comparo were incredibly helpful and probably a great read for your mate.

I'll try and find the issue number although I reckon someone on the forum will know it.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506861

Follow Up By: Member - outbackjack 1 - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:02

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:02
Hi Mick O
Thanks for the info, and yes he does live in Melbourne. I think he might even have the edition as he gets 4x4 Action every month. He's probably reading this now, If your reading this buddy look it up.
Thanks Mick O
Cheers Ian
FollowupID: 783995

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 13:29

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 13:29
if your mate wants a chip from turbo engineering i have one fore sale cheap. They say that there chips are interchangeable ,I had paid $1600 for one of there chips and it did nothing actually when i had it dynoed it performed better without the chip the response from turbo engineering was bad luck .I sent them the dyno readouts with a letter offering them to purchase the unit back at half price but had no response and they are to far from home to chase up,they don't back up there product and i would not recommend them to anyone until this problem is resolved ,I have no comment on any other brand but turbo engineering was a recommendation from this site . If a business produces something that does not work they should back it up.
anyway that's my two bobs worth on the subject cheers warren
FollowupID: 784020

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:14

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:14
Sorry to hear about that Warren. What type of vehicle and motor did you have it fitted to? I’ve had mine on the dyno and the increases on torque and power were amazing. The difference was astounding and I have had it tuned for towing as opposed to straight out grunt.

From my somewhat limited understanding, the chip may be interchangeable but they are not simply a plug and play unit. They have to be fitted and tuned appropriately according to your specific needs or wishes. Who actually fitted the chip for you?
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784029

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 00:06

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 00:06
i dealt with Ray Millar. had the chip fitted because my d40 auto 2.5 was getting 16lt per 100kl and was after batter economy not power .had it fitted and done a Simpson crossing with no difference in performance .It was after getting no service from them i had an independent dyno done and sent them the results in writing to give them an opportunity to reply.if someone wants to buy the chip i will sell it but only with an honest appraisal of its performance as i see it ,i will change my opinion of Ray Millar only when he response to the problem or wll give my opinion of turbo engineering on this site and others whenever the appropriate opportunity arises. cheers warren
FollowupID: 784064

Reply By: Smouch - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:08

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:08
I'm not a fan or "chips" rather go the safer way of better more efficient free flowing exhaust, better less restrictive induction system. Larger more efficiant intercooler and or water/alchol injection.

Mods that will cause less stress and keep EGT's down not send them thru the roof.

If he does gone down the chipsters skuldugery route. Look at the chips that change the injector timing and opening duration rather than upping the fuel rail pressure. The gains are there but you play and you can pay.
AnswerID: 506864

Follow Up By: Member - outbackjack 1 - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:30

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:30
Thanks Smouch
I've done the same, and so has my mate, but he still want's better performance.
Cheers
FollowupID: 784011

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:09

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:09
G,day
I have a 2005 79 series with the 1HD-FTE motor, it has a 3 inch exhaust fitted and also the 3 inch dump pipe.
I found the difference to be quite good, then fitted a manta chip module and found the change in performance pretty scary to be honest.
I backed their unit (plug &play) off by 10 % and found a great combination of performance and economy to suit my needs.
As with all these types of things homework is only going to give what you want, if it suits your needs.
Overall I think they are great but that is for "my needs"
Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506865

Reply By: bluefella - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:10

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:10
In my opinion UNICHIP tick all the boxes, not the cheapest but after a lot of reseach by myself, are the best.
No affilliation with em'.
AnswerID: 506877

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 22:44

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 22:44
Raising the output of a motor above its design capacity can overstress a motor and its drive train.
A caryard in Perth was selling a V8 Troopy at a cheap price about a month ago.
Having the same 4WD, I talked to the salesman – it had a replacement motor fitted at 140,000 Ks.
He said the original motor was damaged by being chipped and over stressed.
AnswerID: 506935

Follow Up By: bluefella - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 09:47

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 09:47
G'day Dennis
Some chips just shove more fuel in with no regard for timing etc.
the combination of this and a driver that flogs the the guts out of the vehicle, poor servicing, any or all of these combinations will do the trick. A properley tuned chip before the ECU (so it can maintain all the normal safe gaurds) which I have had in two vehicles with a couple of hundred 1000km on them have been no problem. In saying all that my chips are DTRONIC brand wich are no longer available. UNICHIP follow the same principles as DTRONIC and are just as good in thier programing, timing control, fuel delivery and other safegaurds. Just my opinion.
FollowupID: 784085

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46
Hi Blue
Some get away with it some don’t

I have a mechanic mate who chips up his Nissans – doesn’t have a problem.

On this website, some time ago, a tractor rep said about 2 John Deere’s with the same displacement motors – one could be chipped but the other couldn’t as some motor components and the drive train wasn’t designed for the extra power.

FollowupID: 784104

Sponsored Links