HEMA NAVIGATOR 6

We are thinking of buying a Hema Navigator 6. I would like to know if any 1 has 1, and if so, what you think of it. How easy is it to use, how accurate ect.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:41

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:41
Hi Kim&Di, we've had our HN6 about 4-5 months and found it very accurate and very easy to use around town. We have yet to use it on an 'off-road' trip but using the 4WD function on a trip to Melbourne from Brisbane using mainly the back roads, we found it very good and accurate. Didn't lose satellite coverage at any stage and we were able to follow our trip using a paper Hema map easily. Obviously didn't need the paper map but just used that while we got used to the Navigator. HEMA ran a 3 hour workshop in Brisbane earlier this year which did point out many of the useful functions which helped considerably...I had been using a Garmin 760 but have found the HN6 to have many more options when combined with Ozi. Overall....very happy!
AnswerID: 507043

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:43

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:43
Forgot to mention, if you do get the HN6,get the sunvisor to fit over the top...it cuts down the glare and makes the screen much easier to see
FollowupID: 784198

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:56

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:56
Hi Kim

They are a great unit and they work well in the bush. Like above the one accessory that we also purchased was the sunshade.

They are very easy to use and the bigger screen is better than my old HN5.

Cheers.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507045

Reply By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:17

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:17
Yep...Top unit
AnswerID: 507063

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:34

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:34
I agree - great unit

John
FollowupID: 784227

Reply By: Member - mark i2 - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:42

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:42
Have had one since December, easy to use with heaps of features and a good size screen.
Good range of maps to use in 4WD mode.
I purchased the unit through the ExplorOz online shop, very happy with the price and efficient delivery.
AnswerID: 507069

Reply By: Member - TheFox3305 - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 20:33

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 20:33
I had a Hema 5 and loved it.

Now I have an iPad with the Hema maps and Tom Tom navigation and i would not recommend a Hema to anyone - the cost of them goes a long way towards an iPad and you get much more functionality.

We use ours for email, music, books and podcasts on the road.

We play our music from the iPad through the stereo, so if we are using the Tom Tom navigation, when the directions come, the music pauses, the instructions come loud and clear through all the stereo speakers. Beats listening to the little hema speaker for us old blokes.

With a $5 adaptor, we unload our camera into the iPad and empty the card ready to go again in a few minutes.

There is a 99cent app called Camps Australia worth every cent and more! Museums Victoria has a free app identifying all Vic animals. There are a couple of bird watching apps. Heaps of other uses, including when you just want to read the local paper a long way from home.

And the bigger screen is fantastic for the maps, but also for changing albums/artists compared to the screen on our stereo or on the iPod we used to use.

We have an F250 and a ram mount for the iPad. Is marginally above the dash but mostly in front of the stereo.

Trevor

AnswerID: 507072

Reply By: Member - Lyle A B (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:52

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:52
Has anyone used the reversing camera option on the Hema?

Does anyone have any experience with using the Samsung tablet in the same role?

Lyle

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507123

Follow Up By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:34

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:34
I have had the reversing camera option now for about 2 years find it quite good to use and easy to set up. Never had any problems in that time.

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784395

Reply By: craigandej - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55
Shop around for a price, online as low as $609, nobody at Brissy 4x4 show could go near that price, only offering books/maps as sweeteners. Hema were at the show, funnily enough they wont sell direct to public. They could have sold hundreds!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 507201

Reply By: Mary J2 - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 23:53

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 23:53
We bought a Hema 6 last January & would have to say that even though I am computer literate it is NOT an easy unit to use initially. It comes with a 122+ page quick start manual, which is anything but. The CD just downloads the maps onto the laptop but something we don't use otherwise. It is a very complex device that you will need to pick up frequently to work out how to use & become familiar with its features. It does contain some fairly unnecessary software (bluetooth - how many bluetooth things do we need? - other countries info, clothing sizes, picture viewer, unit converter, calculator), I suppose it all depends on what features you want in a navigator. The fuel consumption monitor hasn't convinced me of its accuracy, it doesn't seem quite right saying I'm using 66lt per 100kms. The trip monitor is excellent & a great way to keep details of a trip. I love being able to search for a business through it's massive directory when coming into a town or city.
If you decide to buy one, you need to register the device at www.naviextras.com.au, download naviextras toolbox, & have the hema connected via usb to your computer so that you can update your maps before you start to use the device.
IGo is a great tool but you will need to adjust the route settings & learn how to add waypoints to your journey so that you can go in the direction you want. We will often run IGo & our Tom Tom simultaneously as they sometimes give different advice, & at this point the TT has generally proven itself more reliable than the IGo, but as we become more knowledgeable of H6 functions it becomes easier & we are beginning to use it in preference.
Oziexporer has been great for off roading & keeping tracks & waypoints handy for return journeys or just finding our way out of somewhere when lost. The H6 has occasionally been a frustrating device esp the time it had to be reset to factory settings & the gps reconfigured after it had a brain freeze after we updated & downloaded Camps 7, which after all the resetting we eventually did successfully.
Do I like my Hema 6? I love it! Would I buy one again? Probably, yes. You get to a point where info becomes 2nd nature, & when it still isn't there's always the ph no on the back of the quick start manual for tech support.
We have ours connected to a reversing camera which is excellent for trailer connection & backing out of the driveway, & the large screen is easier to read than some of the other gps' with smaller screens. At night time the screen becomes dark so that instructions are easier to read on it. All in all a pretty good little unit...once you get your head around it :)
AnswerID: 508062

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 01:27

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013 at 01:27
All the hema navigators are are chinese navigators running ozi CE
I made my own getting the navigator off ebay and dowloading ozi ce onto it.
So I now have a town and country navigator for about 120 $
$70 for the nav $40 for ozi and $10 microsd
AlReady have all the maps .
As said for the price of a hema navigator id just get a tablet and put ozi for android on it.
AnswerID: 508066

Sponsored Links