Turning a 3 way fridge upside down for 20 minutes to get it to work

Submitted: Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:02
ThreadID: 101169 Views:29554 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All i hope someone can give me some advise.I purchased a 4x4 campervan and the 3 way fridge does not work.I was told by the owners as the van has been in storage for a couple of years that i might have to take the fridge out and turn it up side down for 20 minutes to get the gas moving again.I thought what a load of crap,i have never herd of that.A couple of people i have spoken to said they have herd of this.Is this true or total rubbish?If a fridge does stop working after a period of no use how do you get it to work again?Or do i just take it to a fridge mechanic and see what he has to say?Thanks Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:14
For a three way to work the various chemicals inside need to be mixed - if sat still for a very long time they separate out and the fridge does not work. They need to be shaken up and an easy way to do this is turn the fridge upside down and side to side - no problem for a portable fridge but more problematic if inbuilt. A long drive on a bumpy windy road will often fix it.

So - no it is not a myth and needs to be done one way or the other.

Garry
AnswerID: 507077

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:26

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:26
Hi Garrycol thanks for your explanation.The fridge i have is built in and i dont think it would be simple to remove.If i take it for a drive to try and get it to work do i turn it on while i am driving?What other suggestions do you have or do you think just get it serviced?Thanks for your advice.Stuart
FollowupID: 784244

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:27

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:27
The other thing i forgot to mention is that there is a service door at the rear of it.Stuart
FollowupID: 784245

Follow Up By: Razerback - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:32

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:32
Yes this method fixed my 3 Way Gas fridge and the comments above explain why.
FollowupID: 784246

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:59

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:59
Does not need to be turned on - but does need to be bounced as much as possible - I would turn on as soon as you get back to make sure it works - needs to be reasonably level.

Garry
FollowupID: 784251

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 15:33

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 15:33
hi stuart and gunny
no its not a myth and is called the inversion treatment
remove the fridge as mentioned are usually held in by screws at front remove front door and the small plastic plugs in the facia you will then see the screws
also disconnect gas pipe and electrical connections at rear on outside of van at fridge base area there is an access panel that allows you to do above
when you get it out lay it on if face on a rug/mat for 10 minutes then tip it upside down and sitit on its top for 15 minutes
you will hear the fluids gurgling through the pipes then return it to its base you will again hear gurgling then wait 10 minutes before starting it up
this method has been used by me on countless fridges over many years and it has always worked for me with the fridges freezing up really well afterwards
despite several fridge servicemen trying to tell me it wont make any difference or it is detremental to all fridges
this to me is bs they don't want owners using this inversion method
as they miss out on a service call out and fees - that's my opinion
I have done iut to gas freezers /to several house fridges/bar fridges an engel also electrolux caravan fridges which are now known as 'dometic' brand
all due respects to ------get out more--------- he's entitled to his opinion but every fridge is removable from its so called built-in situation
it just requires a bit more patience ----
but will be worth it
some fridges have a fine stainless steel mesh around the burner that should be cleaned while you have it out and also check the flue pipe and baffle while at it blowing around the burner with some compressed air doesn't hurt either
just be careful when doing the gas connection back up that you start the nut on with your fingers so it doesn't get x threaded
hope this is helpful
cheers
FollowupID: 784315

Follow Up By: chris g8 - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 21:25

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 21:25
hi there
if you contact dometic technical assistance you will find that the gases used these days will result in the fridge not making any differance at all it does however depend on when the fridge was manufactured
FollowupID: 785115

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:32

I have read they can get a vapour lock and supposedly turning them upside down will clear this but I would take it down a rough road and see if the shaking clears it.

Have you tried running the fridge on 240V and gas?

Can you feel heat at the back, if the heat exchanger is not getting hot you have a problem with the heating element and or burner.

Is there any discoloration to the inside of the fridge, this could indicate the ammonia has leaked?

Does the fridge smell of ammomia, again ammonia leak

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507080

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:32

Garry Coombs posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

Tumbling it works best. To circulate the gas
AnswerID: 507081

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 00:18

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 00:18
good luck removing it seeing as they require regular servicing, cleaning around the burners etc its sheer idiocy that everyone ive seen has been totally built in and not removable without significant dismanteling
AnswerID: 507088

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:46

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:46
Most of the seemingly inbuilt ones are usually only held in with the screws at the front trim, sometimes they put a couple at the rear into whatever it is sitting on but not normally.
Usaually all you have to do is take the rear vent section off the van, disconnect the gas, 240 and 12v connections, remove the front outer surrounding trim and remove the screws holding it in. Then you just slide it forwards into the van and then out the door.
Quite often easier to remove the front door of the fridge first as it makes it easier to manhandle.
AnswerID: 507099

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:15

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:15
I wish. Ones ive owned have vented via the back at the top. Installed and then evrything built around them
FollowupID: 784291

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:13

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:13
Take the service panel off and get a screwdriver or the like and give the pipes a heavy tap for a few minutes, this usually works and may save you pulling it out.Keith
AnswerID: 507103

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 13:24

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 13:24
We did that with mine and worked a treat, had it serviced by the fridge bloke twelve months later and is still going strong 4 years later.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784301

Reply By: Jarse - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:38

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:38
I did exactly that with a couple of Kombi Campers I owned over the years. Both times I left the fridges upside-down overnight, then righted them and left them for a day before powering them back up.

Absolutely worked a treat :)
AnswerID: 507200

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:58

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:58
Garry Coombs posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

Tumbling it works best. To circulate the gas
AnswerID: 511569

Sponsored Links