Miss using my IPHONE as reversing camera

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:13
ThreadID: 101190 Views:7807 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have been chucking around the idea of getting a reversing camera to help when positioning the car to mount on the tow ball.

I have an IPAD and an IPHONE so I looked in to using these. This would not be a fixed solution just set up when positioning the car.

It is possible to link video from iphone to the ipad but that is over a WIFI network or 3G network. I wanted this to be able to work when no wifi or 3g available.

However I believe ir would be possible to set up a WIFI netowrk (no internet) using a router of sorts. I may look in to this.

My next options was to pair the two devices using bluetooth. So I started looking around for some apps in the apple store which would allow me to do this.

I found one called Duplicam, which if installed on both devices will allow me view the iPhone picture on my IPAD. I have done a test in the garage, after turning off WIFI and bluetooth on and it does work.

Issues
I would have to build a bracket to hold the IPHONE so it shows the area I am interested in.
Most reversing cameras are fish eyed view. I don't believe the IPHONE (3S) has that feature.
Not sure how it would go in real life.

I think the duplicate app cost about $1.99 so so far lots of fun at minimal expense.

Has any one else looked in to doing this. If so please let me know.

An alternative I would like to try is to buy a camera ( Bluetooth) and have it picked up by one of the IPAD apps (there are lost of them).

A WIFI set up may be better but I have no WIFI in the car :). Jay Car sell a WIFI reversing camera unit which appears to have a private WIFI network. Not sure if the IPAD could connect to it though.

Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:35

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:35
Just did a bit more playing around.

I have one of those telstra WIFI dongles that allow you 5 connections.

I have no Telstra credits so can not get to the internet.

I started it up and it creates a WIFI network. I then connected my IPHON and IPAD to it and fired up Duplicam. I got some funny messages along the way but it appeared to work.

Not sure if the telstra dongle would work if you were not with in range though, but interesting. Now to find a simple device to set up a WIFI network which I can run in the car. I am sure there are these devices.

Rich
AnswerID: 507158

Reply By: Roughasguts - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 22:56

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 22:56
EZ cam lite an App from the App store says it will do it via blue tooth! free app so let us know if it works.

Cheers
AnswerID: 507175

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:15

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:15
Tried it but the DUPLICAM app works better I reckon

Rich
FollowupID: 784368

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 04:56

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 04:56
The wifi network will work anywhere but you won't have internet if there is no 3g reception. The 2 types of wireless are independent of each other with the dongle being the link between them. Wifi is the local area network, 3g is the wide area network.
AnswerID: 507183

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:23

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:23
Mike,
I understand about the WIFI independence for 3G/4G-internet but this is a Telstra dongle :) and may not allow connectivity to it if not backing 3G/4G network.
Even though I have no credits I am able to get on to the Telstra network to recharge.

Time will tell. may be I cold remove the SIM card?

If this does work then I can just get an IP camera (instead of my IPHONE) which I can attach at the back, giving me a WIFI reversing camera.

I must have to much time on my hands :)

Thanks for the reply
Rich
FollowupID: 784370

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:05

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:05
I am sorry but I can't help but see what you are doing as just playing with technology rather than actually making it easier to hook up. Why not just get a dual input safety windscreen camera for the windscreen and set the second camer up for the rear. Call it a safety camera as well. Gives you recorded video of the road and that bloke who just cut you off and a video of your trip as well. No stuffing around with iphones, blue tooth etc. Just put the car in reverse and go. Maybe this one: Dual Lens Car DVR Vehicle Camera

No worry with using the phone while driving as well and all hands free.

Or if you use a towball hitch then look at a Trailer Hitch Couple-Mate. They have been around for centuries and work well.

Phil
AnswerID: 507189

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 19:06

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 19:06
Not sure I agree with you but your links are interesting and I will look in to them

I can't see any thing wrong with playing with technology and after all the Dual lens is just another bit of technology.

The reason I am doing this, apart from the fun - OK you are right I am playing with technology :)

I already have an IPAD mounted on the dash for navigation. So still hands free. What I was trying to do is get a camera to send the video to the IPAD. I used my IPHONE purely as test case but can see it would work to some degree. This is not much different to current reversing cameras - a monitor/display (IPAD) and a camera (IPHONE).

I will check out the links you provided as they do look interesting,
Many thanks

Rich

FollowupID: 784429

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 20:52

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 20:52
I don't see anything wrong in "playing" either. I have two hobbies that include a lot of "playing". Amateur radio (make your own radios etc) and model trains (best part is constructing the layout). As you see, I cannot disagree with you.

Our reversing camera is displayed on the VMS box that is actually mounted into the dash. I hate stuff on the windscreen and on the top of the dash. I also do not have nor ever want an iphone.

But I have played enough with technology over years as an electronics and radio technician. I made all the automated control circuit boards etc to automate my train layout. Far from anti technology hey!!!!

I am currently uploading more train videos to user vk1dx on youtube.com if you want to check them out. The layout has be demolished to make room for another one. More technology! I should be finished uploading tonight.

Phil

FollowupID: 784438

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:53

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:53
Rich

I have looked at using the iPad as the viewing display for a rear mounted camera. I have tried Camera for iPad (free). It works OK but I would rather a permanent el cheapo blue tooth camera down the back. I haven't found one that will talk to an iPad though.

Bob
AnswerID: 507276

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:56

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:56
PS

Camera for iPad works with BT or WiFi by direct connection. No Dongles, servers etc required.

Bob
FollowupID: 784492

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 18:42

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 18:42
Bob,
Agree a a camera better at the back than IPHONE. It just does not have the angles.

Jay car are selling a IP camera which if you can connect to the WIFI network may work. The connection is the issue. I am not sure how you can connect it.

I have tested BT and it works IPAD to IPHONE camera.

I have done the same for WIFI but this was at home and was using my home WIFI network.

As mentioned above I started up my telstra dongle which starts is own WIFI network and was able to repeat the same test. This is the scenario you would want in the car. It all has to be free of the 3G network else it would not work in the bush or places nearby me in Canberra.

If there is a way of creating a WIFI network without the 3G network then it is possible. The Telstra dongle may do it but may not work if there was no 3G network behind the scenes.

The issue if all that works is how to link an IP camera into this network. It may be possible with an open network. getting out of my experience level with this.

Buying a complete set up may be the best option but I reckon there would be a market for this sort of thing linking to an IPAD or equivalent device instead of buying yet another monitor and being able to just hang a camera off the back when required using a WIFI/BT network (ie no installation required).

Any way I will keep looking around,

Rich
FollowupID: 784516

Sponsored Links