Hopevale to Ninian Bay

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 16:44
ThreadID: 101208 Views:2905 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
i am chasing information on a trip i will be taking in july with three other vehicles, i will be towing my boat trailer which has my 4 wheeler on the front,it is a very strong trailer but is 7.5 metres long it is on landcruiser wheels and up high but i am worried about its length, does anyone know if i can get through with the beast of a trailer, we spend two weeks normally photopgraphing the reef and this year we will try ninian bay. any advice or news will be appreciated ,i pull it with a toyota 8 cylinder ute which has a whinch and full recovery gear ,but i still dont like wrecking my gear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:52

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:52
G'day Brian

If I'm correct, you're refering to the Starke Track through to Cape Melville.
I've been through twice over the years, the first time was a walk in the park, whilst the second we came to grief crossing the Jeannie River. The western exit was our downfall towing a Conqueror 490.

So you could have trouble there with that size trailer. My suggestion would be to put the other vehicles through first then if needed they can help you out.

Allow yourself 2 days as it is doable in 1 but would be bloody hard work.
AnswerID: 507258

Follow Up By: brian o - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59
thanks rosco
i was hoping to do the trip in one day ,but am happy to be 2, work to hard to wreck a nice set up, i cant wait for the trip ill be there in mid july so a few might have gone before me.
thanks again.
FollowupID: 784471

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10
PS

There's also a range of hills you need to cross with a couple of fairly steep uphill pinches that may be a tad daunting with that size trailer.

Strongly suggest you engage low range prior to committing yourself. May not be necessary with the 8 pot, but better safe than sorry + you'll have a much more controlled ascent, being able to limit your speed.
FollowupID: 784473

Follow Up By: brian o - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:16

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:16
roscko
have you camped in the area east of jeanie creek, there seems to be a road up there once you are north of the creek that heads for the beach, i have google earth and have been looking, all it means is i travel a bit further in my boat to the reef if i go only that far. either way i am just looking for a good spot to camp and get acess to the beach without having to destroy my gear.
FollowupID: 784474

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:21

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:21
Maaate

If you get that far, push on to Cape Melville ... magic place and easy peasy to launch a boat off the beach. We did camp just north of the Jeannie as we were totally tan booted after extricating the rig. A reasonable selection of clear areas, though can get popular as it's more or less 1/2 way.
FollowupID: 784476

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 06:00

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 06:00
You maybe better off going in via Kalpower, only one really deep crossing that way.

The last time I went in via Hope Vale it took us 2 days to get to the Cape, got through the Jennie ok but camped there the night. The worst part was the swamps north of the Out Station at Wookoka.

A mate went into Ninian bay last year towing a 4m tinnie and had no trouble at all. Great camp site and heaps of muddies.
AnswerID: 507317

Follow Up By: bigfellabrian - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 07:08

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 07:08
Thanks tony I will do as suggested bit easier
FollowupID: 784563

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 07:11

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 07:11
A couple of years ago we drove from Elim to Wakooka in one day easily. Camped near there and drove the rest to Cape Melville the next morning. All 4.2 TDs and one with a broken shock for the last quarter. But I will say the top half was just graded. We met the grader. No towing also. I would allow at least two days.

I suggest that if your aim is to get to Ninian Bay in one day and not necessarily sight seeing then go via Kalpower and Lakefield. I do not believe that you will have any hassles and have a good chance of doing it in one day. They were upgrading the track between Old Kalpower and Wakooka to a good wide dirt road when we were there. Note that I said road not track.

Phil
AnswerID: 507319

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 16:44

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 16:44
Piece of cake now - This is another road they turned into a Super highway to the Starkey River.

From the Starkey a little rough 2 wheel track. Take it easy and you should have no issues.

But of course it will all depend on the amount of rain still to come for the wets season, which has been poor to date, and when the Cook Shire opens the raod and does its maintenance on the Highway!

Might pay to keep an eye on this site - # 21 - Starkey Road Condition
AnswerID: 507372

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 17:19

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 17:19
I have to agree. And then we will get a toll road and very fast train.

I was actually talking to the engineer at Cooktown just before we went for our little family drive to the Cape, and he said that he was as disappointed as you and I about the upgrades. But that's his job.Well . . . . . . Seen any grains of salt running around lately. They may all be in Cook Council.

Phil
FollowupID: 784614

Follow Up By: bigfellabrian - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:40

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:40
Thanks, appreciate the feedback
FollowupID: 784640

Sponsored Links