1 Week to go :)

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 17:36
ThreadID: 101226 Views:1793 Replies:2 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Only 1 week to go till the Easter Gathering at Mt Moffatt starts :)

I see Kevin S has confirmed and Nick and Jane should there heading out there this weekend.

There is still a couple of camp spots still available if people still want to come along.

Register here

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 13:53

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 13:53
Hey Kev,
You Sam and the girls have a great Easter, hope the bunny knows where to find you way out there at Mt Moffatt.
Cheers from the both of us.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507361

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 14:57

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 14:57
No Easter Bunny this year, it is the Easter Bilby as we are ina National Park ;)

Kids are keen to head off already so I have to prep the camper this weekend as we have had it stripped down seeing as it is for sale LOL I love repacking everything back into it for a few days camping :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784606

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 21:10
Good to see your post Kev. It confirms that all systems are go! You have probably seen my update to the Trips & Gatherings page as a result of my phone conversation with the ranger who returned my call. And we are getting serious. We have borrowed a camp oven and today I bought an axe. Given my familiarity with that instrument in my youth I can hardly believe that it is so long since I owned one.

It looks like we will cross paths with Isuzumu for a night at Mitchell and King Trev at Lightning Ridge again as we go south. Then possibly a chat to Oldbaz further south to talk about Jackaroos and his upcoming trip over the Great Central Road. This is shaping up to be a great trip.

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507383

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 21:57

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 21:57
Kevin,

Yes a bit of firewood will be needed LOL

I think it may be a slow trip into the Park, it was last time we were there but nothing to stop a van getting in there.

See you there, we intend on getting there Thursday arvo (leaving Chinchilla early Thursday morning).

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784630

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 22:12

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 22:12
Then there will be quite a welcoming party for us when we arrive. We are leaving late morning on Wednesday, probably overnighting around Miles and then at Injune. That will give us all day Friday to get in but probably by lunch time. The ranger said that a lot of work was done on the road last year.
Will bring some fire wood. Need something to use my new axe on.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784632

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:44

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:44
You may get a better night sleep at Dulacca behind the park (on left just after the pub) as the highway noise in Miles is Bad Oversized trucks all day and night at the moment with most heading north.

We may pass you on Thursday as 1st stop for us will be Roma, then a quick one in Injune.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784642

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:16

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:16
Thanks Kev. There is nothing like local information.

We will look out for you. We will probably be passed by a fair number of those large trucks as well.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784655

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:40

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:40
Kevin,

Looking at the current Radar for out there Radar and it appears that Mt Moffatt is getting rain :(

I hope that it is not enough to close the roads in, I don't mind getting stuck in there but I want to get there first LOL

If we get Rained out I might go to Eulo again for a few days.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784677

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:50

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 18:50
Looks like some fairly heavy stuff going through. Our fall back is to go on to Charleville, which we have only ever driven through once, and then come back to Mitchell to catch up with Bruce and Annie. Then south via ST George as originally planned. We can only wait and see, I suppose.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784678

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:01

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:01
Wednesday will be the day I make a decision as to where we head for. So will wait and see, I am confident that we will be in Mt Moffatt :)

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784680

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:44

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:44
Kevin,

Have you tried the Park Ranger again??
They had rain last night as well by the looks of it and anothr major strom looks like it went through the area again this afternoon.

I won't have time due to work to call him tomorrow but should be able to catch him Wednesday :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784852

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:55
Hi Kev. The basis on which I left it with the park ranger was that I would check at the Injune Visitor Centre on late Thursday or early Friday for the latest information. The NP office at Roma told me that any closure would be notified on the web site. My intention was to go to Injune and if I decided not to go in to the park I would head to Mitchell via Womblebank Station.
Sounds like a possibility of storms on Sunday and Monday by the forecast.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784858

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 20:44

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 20:44
It isn't looking good :(

The best area to explore is now closed :(

From the National Parks Site -

The Four Wheel Drive access road to the Consuelo Tableland is closed at Top Shelter Shed due to wet conditions. Visitors are able to access Top Shelter and Rotary Shelter Sheds and the campground at Rotary Shelter Shed is open. Access past Top Shelter Shed to Peawaddy Gorge, Mahogany Forest and Head of Carnarvon Creek is closed.

Ranger will regularly assess the condition of the road and open as soon as it has dried out that visitors will not cause undue damage to the road.

Last updated 25 March 2013

Will check again tomorrow to see if more is updated.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784865

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:03

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:03
That note has been on there for a while. I think the damage occurred some time ago and there has been enough rain to stop it from being repaired or from drying out. Navigator 1 posted a blog from a trip in mid-December and mentioned closures in that area.
The weather observations on the BOM site are showing only lite rain through the area but they can only report where there are measuring devices of where people call information in I imagine.
If the areas that you want to see are closed it does rather spoils things.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784867

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:22

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:22
I think the section Navigator 1 couldn't get to was the Head of Carnarvon Creek as there is/was a largish bog hole and a huge tree across the track which Hugo 1 would have had issues traversing around.

That area we have seen before but we saw it just starting to recover from the drought, and the bog hole and tree were down then (easter 2010).
will see what tomorrow brings I guess.

Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784869

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:14
If you guys need someone to do the dishes then Sir Kevs daughter "pothole" should fit the bill.
She did a good job at Silverton Gathering
Cheers and have a great trip
Ray
FollowupID: 784874

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:40

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:40
Ray,

She has already harrassed Kevin last year in St George I think hehehe

She is still into me about buying a caravan once the camper sells LOL

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784887

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:53

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:53
My recollection of St George is of Mrs. Isuzumu waiting on a couple of girls. But I'm sure all were enjoying the experience. Now that we know about that skill Mt Moffatt will be different. Ruth and I are looking forward to renewing our acquaintance with Kev's girls. If the rain lets us get there!
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784890

Sponsored Links