Jackson's Crossing advice!

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 15:23
ThreadID: 101240 Views:3350 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, plan to visit Jacksons crossing, on thesnowy river! Couple of questions...

Been 8-10 yrs since last visit. Can you take a off road camper trailer? What is track like in? Have a cruiser 100 with 31 geolander ate fitted. Still a good camp spot?

Plan on staying a few nights. Any advice for day trip or 4wd tracks to suit ifs cruiser?

Thank you!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Neil G (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 20:31
Hi Mick,
Went into Jacksons Crossing about 2 weeks ago from the Yalmy Road and Varneys Track on the Orbost side. The track is pretty good but has a few mud holes between Roger River and the Snowy. I don't think this part has been graded since your last visit!
Pretty good camping spots if you turn upstream when you reach the Snowy.
Not sure about the four wheel tracks as we were just doing a drop off for a canoe trip from McKillops Bridge. Very nice drive if you continue along the Yalmy Road to Bonang and down to McKillops and return if you have plenty of time. Quite doable in a day.
Another shorter trip into Raymond Creek Falls is also very enjoyable.
Have a great trip and avoid Easter if you can!
AnswerID: 507495

Follow Up By: mick78 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 04:48

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 04:48
Hey Niel, thanks for the reply. We plan to come in from the west side. Plan to do the loop to the bridge if we can cross the snowey depending on the river. Can you camp on the west side? Is tHis camp you mention upstream near the crossing?

Tha kd again!
FollowupID: 784797

Follow Up By: Member - Neil G (VIC) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:19

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:19
Hi Mick.
The camp sites I mentioned are upstream when you reach the Snowy. You don't cross the river to get to them if coming from the Orbost side. I don't know much about the Gelantipy side as we always come up from Orbost. You can still do a day trip to McKillops Bridge from the Gelantipy side without crossing the river by going in from Gelantipy on the Tubbut Road. This road is quite steep and windy in places and is not a trip to be rushed!
Hope this helps,
Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 784808

Sponsored Links