To buy 100 series td, year 2000 $20K or Prado150R GX Td $40K Year 2010

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 23:36
ThreadID: 101246 Views:2834 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ,
I'm purchasing a camper trailer about 1800 Kg ATM,
The plan is to leave the vehicle and trailer at different locations around Oz and use when circumstances allow , probably about 10 days every 9 weeks. I have limited 4wd experience but will learn
do i buy a Year 2000 landcruiser 100 series turbo diesel approx. 300,000KM for about $20K or

for around $20K more a 2010 year Prado 150R GX diesel for about $40K.about 110,000KM on the clock, I have 3 young ones so reliability is a big factor in my decision, i'm not planning on doing any extreme 4x4wd but I don't want to be worried about crossing a creek or going down a dirt road either,
i guess there are are 2 trains of thought ,

1) the landcruiser 100 seriers is bullet proof even at 13 years old with 300k !!
2) the prado will have far superior technology and safety attached as it's only 3 years old

I will appreciate any comments.
John
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:09

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:09
spend the extra 20 on the 100series turbo diesel, that should get you around the 2003/ 2004 mark. maybe 200k's or soo.

forget the prado.
the engine is far superior in the 100 series, the prado doesnt even compare !
engines are built strong and can handle 500k with ease with correct servicing.

the 100 series will have more room than any prado on the market.

you will find thousands of people prefer the 100 series over the prado when going off road.
built tough and handle the abuse day in day out, and a great ride.

AnswerID: 507390

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:46

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:46
100s for me as well.

The Prado will be a tight fit with 3 kids as well, whereas the 100s will have that little bit more room.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784643

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:12

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:12
Good advice from MM ...compare like with like price wise and spend the $40K on a younger 100 series. A stronger more robust vehicle.
Also bear in mind the newer Prado would have a CRD diesel which, while more responsive engines, like all CRD are very suseptible to damage with dirty fuel. In terms of reliability abd trustworthyness I would go for a 100 series all day every day.

Cheers

FollowupID: 784647

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 08:29

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 08:29
Hi John

You don't say what sort of 100 series , they did have the odd issue espically on gas and the basic diesel is underpowered.

The Prado has one of the worst roll over angles at 42 degrees of any mainline wagon , whilst the cruiser is 45 and I would be concerned about this if you were doing a lot of towing espically on dirt.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507395

Follow Up By: John T2 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:10

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 09:10
Thanks Robin , i have been looking at a HZJ105 R , the consensus seems very clear in the replys , definitely a landcrusier over a prado , which really surprises me as the crusier is half the price, i'm just worried that the 2000 model is now 13 years old , mountain man earlier suggested spending more and getting a 2003/04 model landcrusier but would it really make that much difference with reliability ?? it's an extra $20K.
thanks John
FollowupID: 784646

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:09

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:09
Hi John

The two cars you have selected are quite different and its not easy to give valid advice.

If it was a saftey issue I would go with your cruiser.

If it was ruggedness with power not being a factor then the cruiser wins again.

Fuel economy is a win for Prado.

If it was interior space then cruiser again.

Reliability is a different issue and not what it first seems.

I remember on the occasion of the 1 millionth TV produced in Australia we did a massive reliability study
to determine what really counted - was it good design , better quality parts etc etc.

At the end of the day only 1 factor fundamentally determined the reliability of electronic devices
and that was heat dissapation.

As the designs were improved and the power consumption of a device went down so its reliability went up.

Back to cars - anything that has been on the road for 13 years has real potential reliability issues.
And anything just released has yet to be proven.

I don't question statements about that a 105 diesel engine can last 500k, it can !

But reliability doesn't end there.

18 months ago I had to make my own choice and brought a brand new petrol Patrol and reliability
was one of the biggest factors - I already owned a 2002 Patrol, but eveywhere you look hoses are getting old
fan belts are going , bearings and gears are getting worn , rubber seals are regressing , the steerings getting a little sloppy.

In actual fact the 2010 Patrol wasn't technically as good a car as the 2002 version but the sum of these little things meant
that it was a better prospect for one you goes to the remotest of places.

In effect I brought a 2000 year design that was made in 2010, every component was new had had its life in front of it.
As such it had all the ruggedness of a coil sprung live axle car with simple servicing practises and plenty of available field knowledge and experience out there surrounding it.

I paid for this in excessive fuel consumption - but it was a bargain I was glad to make as it meant no performance or reliability compromises.

P.S. There will be no real difference in the reliability of 2000 and 2003 100 series but there is a power difference.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784652

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:49

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:49
Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer, I will just pose more questions and differ with some of the posts above.
No matter how rugged and "reliable" a vehicle is, at 300 000km things start wearing out like radiators, hose lines, suspension parts, alternators etc etc.

I struggle to see how a Prado is any less reliable than a LC at the same age, let alone 10 years older, but certainly the LC will be far more capable of handling off road abuse. What do you intend doing with the rig when your year is up?
Would the Prado be considered a useful vehicle to hang onto for a daily drive when you are finished (presumably in the city) or are you likely to want to sell the vehicle, in which case the LC may "win".

Few people test a Prado to it's off road limit, let alone a LC (unless you are someone like Robin Miller) especially when you are travelling with a family. I doubt you will need the extra off road capability a LC offers. Lets face it very few people actually get "off road", we are mostly on dirt roads (creek crossings add a different complexity though).
The LC will provide substantial more room whuch is important if you have lots of child seats and baby paraphanalia, but if they are between 5 and mid teenage years the Prado I thought would be fine.

I say this as a owner of a heavy CT (A KK) and having done 400 000km over the past decade in a Pajero.
AnswerID: 507400

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:33

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:33
Just a thought. How about if you bought the Landcruiser for all the advantages of size, ruggedness or whatever for $20,000 and spent another,say $5,000 to $7,000 on it to replace hoses, belts, (including timing belt) valve clearances, wheel bearings, seals and a good service. That way you would know that most of the items more likely to let you down are new.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 507409

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:12

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:12
Hi John
I have a 2001 100 series factory TD that I bought a few years ago with 220000k's for just over $30000. It now has 350000k's on it and apart from normal servicing I have only had to get the torque converter rebuilt (as it would try to remain locked up...). I do a lot of towing and for me the rear tailgate setup prevented me from considering a Prado, as I couldnt access the Engel when the trailer was attached... The tailgate of the Cruiser also gets used as a seat / change table / foot cleaning table etc all the time. I have added a chip and 3" exhaust, and the power and economy is great, without the engine feeling like it is being stressed. With 2 kids, when we go away the car, roofrack, and boat are all loaded with gear, so we appreciate the extra room. For $40000 you will get a good 5 speed auto 100 series factory TD with low k's - just depends on how long you are prepared to look for...
Drew
AnswerID: 507444

Follow Up By: mountainman - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:43
yes the 5spd auto is better than the 4.
soo i think that 2004 on you should be looking at.

theres the response from drew.

if your chasing more power, custom turbos in perth are getting unreal torque and power from these engines, with no loss of reliability.

1300 should see you with a turbo that will haul ass, and even beat the 4.7 v8 landcruiser 100 series.

the prados arent built as strong as the landcruiser.
mate uses one up north as a stock and station agent, travelling round..
the roads are hard on the prado..
landcruiser eats it for breakfast.

also the prado engine isnt built like the 1HD FTE.
yanmah run the same engine but with over 1,000nm of torque in their marine range.

no issues what soo ever with the 1HD FTE.
prado has injector issues.. and thats just what i know.
and then some !!
FollowupID: 784729

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46
I would also look at the 2004 Cruiser, its a vehicle you can keep that much longer and still be reasonably current and if later you decide to move to a large Tandem caravan will still be able to tow with ease. The Prado has an ATM limit for 2500, the Cruiser significantly more.

Peter
FollowupID: 784737

Reply By: Mark T6 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 14:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 14:00
I own a 2010, 150 GXL Prado...great vehicle.

Very very capable off road, far far better fuel economy than an old 100 series and really just an all round great 4WD.

The only downsides I can think of in comparison,

Less space in the rear
Slightly less space space across (but very little difference in the 150...not the 120 which is smaller overall)
Less towing capacity (2.5 Tonnes only)

You will get maybe 10 litres per 100 K's (not towing) and probably 12-13 towing (depending on how heavy that right foot is).....my mate with a similar 100 to that mentioned would get maybe 13-15 normal.

So over a lot of KM's those extra Litres do have a habit of adding up.

Plenty on here will knock the Prado, but personally speaking a great Fourby to own!!
AnswerID: 507538

Reply By: Mark T6 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 17:44

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 17:44
As far as how tough a Prado is (in comparison to a Cruiser)....mines done many, many tough roads and never had an issue.

I did change the suspension and gave it a small lift but dead set it will go anywhere, and with a fair but less guzzeled down it's throat than a cruiser!!

People with Landcruisers often bag Prado's, but let me tell you it's a Landcruiser Prado and still built pretty tough (although I think the old 80 series Landcruisers are so tough you can't blow them up with TNT).

As I say above, bit less space, a lot better fuel economy and the only real downside is 2.5 tonne towing V a think 3 tonne for a 100 (don't quote me as I don't really know).

I know the 200 cruisers are 3.5 Tonne but I imagine that might be due to the big V8 under the bonnet.
AnswerID: 507550

Sponsored Links