King Island Bass Straight

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:41
ThreadID: 101250 Views:2413 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are shipping our 4wd across to King Island for a one month holiday.
We are set up for tent camping
Has anyone on the site done this type of trip?
The King Island website advises that camping is popular with the locals and that there are plenty of great camp spots around the island although not much information is provided.
Any experience of camping on the island would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:39

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 13:39
Hi Ron, we have just come back from King island. Only a 2 day holiday there, we hired a car and stayed in a motel in Grassy. It is a beautiful place to visit, however, all the locals told us about the "roaring forties" winds they experience on a regular basis. I can believe this when looking at the trees. The only reason I mention this to you is that you are intending tent camping. This may become very unpleasant in these windy conditions. I would also question the cost of shipping your own care over as opposed to hiring a car locally, the hire charges are quite reasonable. If I can help with more info, please ask. Cheers
AnswerID: 507411

Follow Up By: Ronald L1 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:07

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 14:07
Hi George

Thanks for the information.

As we plan to stay for up to a month we figured it would be cost effective to take the car and camping gear.

All up costs to ship the car are $660 - this is reduced by the tourist Bass Strait Transport Subsidy bringing it down to around $260. Obviously we need to fly across as the ship does not take passengers.

We have contacted NPWS who advise that there are a few conservation areas and that camping fees are not charged.
Also, the Island Tourist Website indicates that there are plenty of good camp sites on the island and that camping is popular with the locals. I guess the key to a good experience would be getting information from locals and tips on how to access camping spots that may be on or accessed through private property.

Ideally we would like to find a quiet spot on the coast with some shelter.

Even though we plan to minimise expenses having our car and camping gear we will still be contributing to the island economy with spending on some accommodation, tours, food etc.

Regards

Ron
FollowupID: 784665

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:10
Take thermal underwear!
AnswerID: 507434

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:20

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 19:20
And watch out for the super huge Black Tiger Snakes - they are everywhere.
FollowupID: 784682

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:25

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:25
My late Uncle took up a Soldier Settler Block there back in the 1950's and my cousin is still there as a major beef producer.

The Island is still reeling from the closure of the meat works by JBS (a brazilian co.) last year.

Abattoir Closure

JBS would not allow anyone to buy the abattoir and I think it is currently being dismantled, They also tried to retain the King Island Beef trademark but that was blocked by court.

There was a segment on Landline late last year if you want to look it up

So while you are there eat plenty of beef as they need the support.

As someone said the wind always blows and the island is the site of about 80 shipwrecks.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 507446

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:31

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 21:31
Here is a link to the Landline segment:

King Island
FollowupID: 784691

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 17:25

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 17:25
Ron, I've not been there but have just spent time exploring it using Google Earth (something I do before most trips). Its amazing how much detail you can see. If they have crayfish like they do on Flinders Island I envy you a lot.

Bob
AnswerID: 507490

Reply By: Member - Geoff P (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:27

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 23:27
Hi Ronald L1, I worked in the mines at Grassy for a few years, back in the late 60's early 70's. It is a beautiful place and well worth a long look. The weather can be bad and for long periods of time but I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere out of the wind. If you are a diver you will love it, I bet there are still plenty of crays left. Back then we camped pretty much anywhere so I hope things haven't changed that much. Have a great time. Geoff
AnswerID: 507508

Follow Up By: Ronald L1 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:23

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:23
Thanks to all the Members who have replied.
We understand that the wind and weather can be rough at times, however as Geoff indicates should be able to find some sheltered spots.
FollowupID: 784800

Reply By: wollyw - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:44

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:44
hi ronald
my inlaws live on king island so we have visited many times.
as everyone says it is a beautiful place.
there are plenty of camping spots on the island, ( are you just in a tent)
pennys lagoon is very pretty, so is martha livinia beach, these 2 spots are north.
you can find a nice spot in the sand dunes out of the wind
Also cape wickham lighthouse is great but a little exposed for camping,
there are also plenty of places down the south end of the island where you could pitch a tent.
visit Grassy, go fishing off the Narracoopa jetty
definately visit the cheese factory .
pack a picnic and head to the boathouse in currie harbour
and visit the pottery opposite the cfa station.
hopefully you will run into "carolyn" who is a local idendity who is an artist. she will have great ideas on what you can do.
Be very wary of the wallabies , they are everywhere!!!!!!!!
enjoy
AnswerID: 507718

Follow Up By: Ronald L1 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:07

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:07
Thanks Wollyw

Yes we will be staying in our oz tent. The two spots you mention on the north of the island will likely be our first stop. A sheltered area in the dunes sounds good. I will probably purchase a recreational abalone and rock lobster licence and try my luck diving - nothing too adventurous though !

Regards
Ron
FollowupID: 785016

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:59

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:59
Lunch for the big fish with big teeth.
FollowupID: 785024

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:57

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:57
I'm amazed that so many people here have connections on King Island.

Enjoy your stay!
AnswerID: 507728

Sponsored Links