Gibb River Road - which direction?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 07:32
ThreadID: 101263 Views:3241 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, Looking to travel the Gibb River Road this year and trying to determine which direction to travel in. It seems most do it West to East and we are thinking of East to West. Is there any advantages in either way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:15

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:15
Hi tshilux,

Cant see that there would be any difference. Its not like the Simpson crossing or the Canning SR that have chewed up dunes to negotiate. Nor is it like the Great Ocean Road with lots of winding sections. Its a wide mostly gravel road (with some bitumen on steeper bits) so go whichever way is convenient for you. We have travelled it both ways.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507460

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:20

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 08:20
Hi tshilux,
I did it last year East to West and see no difference which way you travel. I found most were travelling east to west as well.
Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507461

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:02

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:02
I researched this very question when I was planning our Kimberley trip in 2011. I could not find any reason to say which was better.
We ended up doing it from west to east because all of the roads off the Gibb were not open when we wanted to start in June. So we took the Great Northern Highway from Kununurra, visiting all of the places on the way, Bungle Bungles, Wolf Creek Crater etc, to Broome. Spent time at Broome, then did the Dampier Peninsular and then to Derby, spent time there including the Horizontal Water Falls and then did the Gibb back to Kununurra. One other benefit we found with this direction of travel was that it was easier to book our Horizontal Water Falls trip for the best tide. Whatever direction you take, take your time and enjoy all of what that area offers. Simply brilliant country. Kevin
AnswerID: 507463

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:03

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:03
Hello Kris and Kev
I'm doing much the same trip this year. I'd appreciate knowing who you did your horizontal waterfall trip with and how far ahead you had to book with them.
Regards
FollowupID: 784752

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:35

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 14:35
I think there is still only one mob who do the stay and boat trip. See photo. We did the overnight trip and would love to do it again, a really once in a life time experience and just brilliant. Had so much of the best Barra I have ever tasted for tea, washed down with a very good sauvignon blanc naturally. (If you do the overnight don’t forget to pack some as they don’t supply alcohol there.) We booked about 3 weeks ahead, but that also was to make sure we had a good tide. We have spoken to people who have done the day trip and they also loved it. With the right tide you may get to fish in a special place apparently. I will not tell you too much about the trips, as some of it is all about the surprise. Kevin

FollowupID: 784757

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:58

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:58
Many thanks Kris and Kev. Exactly what I needed. Great photos, also just what I was looking for.
My next problem is when to leave. We have some time constraints re when we have to be home and I want to leave before the end of April. Not sure what will be open. It seems to me that this hasn't been a very wet year up there so roads might be open a little earlier.

K and K, could you contact me though the members area, I'd like to discuss possibly using some of your photos
FollowupID: 784803

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:23

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:23
You are right about the wet season. In 2011 it was a late wet season and the road to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu did not open until late June. I am sure this year it will open sooner. We had 3 months to do the Kimberley, so we were lucky that we could change our plans to suit. When we did the Gibb we took 4 weeks and did 3,000 k’s and still felt a bit rushed!
I don’t think I can contact you via the members section as we are only visitors. Kevin
FollowupID: 784805

Reply By: Member - Talawana - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 13:17

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 13:17
Hi,
We did west to east 2012, and we had a great time, agree with the others that no mater which way you do it, it will be a wonderful experience, please don't rush it.
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507477

Reply By: Member - Russler - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 16:57
How late will you be driving? Would the afternoon / setting sun be a problem for you, or will you be set up in camp by then?
AnswerID: 507489

Reply By: OBT46 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:32

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 00:32
A sight to behold.
If you can travel "The Gibb" both ways that's ideal, but when I did it west to east and caught the Cockburn Ranges over the Pentecost late in the afternoon with the sun shining on them driving to Home valley, well that was "a sight to behold". Like most roads travelled, it is different going the opposite way. Which ever way you decide, you will enjoy it. Happy travels.
AnswerID: 507514

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 21:55

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 21:55
We have been over the GRR twice, In 2005 and 2008, at the time the direction never came into discussion. We live in Gove, drive to Katherine, then it's all all downhill, then run uphill to home.
We did it twice, 6 weeks the first time and 8 weeks the second time, found the best time, weather wise for us was end of July thru to Sept.

Umm, can I just throw a little something in the fire? No not F'n anyone around.
Doesn't the GRR basically run up and down?
As in North to South, or the other way.
That's how I saw it on a map?
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507698

Sponsored Links