Conqueror UEV 490

Submitted: Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 14:03
ThreadID: 101287 Views:11878 Replies:5 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All , we are looking at the above, having difficulty tracking one down to actually inspect, (the only dealer with one is in Townsville) are there any members out there own one? love to hear from them if they are happy or not! and if there are any issues! We have not been on the forum for a while but are looking forward to being more active.
Hope you all have a safe and happy Easter.

regards, Joe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:43

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 16:43
G'day Joe

We've had one for a couple of years now. Was actually No4 imported to Aus. As a result there were a few quality control issues that needed to be addressed, as the locals in RSA on the production line weren't the sharpest tools in the shed and didn't seem to have much of a care factor.

However, having said that you won't find a more helpful or dedicated crew than the boys at Conqueror Aus. They certainly go the extra mile and really can't do enough to ensure you're a happy customer.

The actual rig suits us to a tee and we're very happy with it. Have towed it up the Cape and will be doing the Kimberleys in June/July. A very tough and competent rig and I would be surprised if it didn't fulfil your requirements.

I have ongoing contact with the lads and the current models have, I believe, much better attention to detail and quality of finish. The basic unit remains more or less the same as ours, though with a few more bells and whistles (reflected in the price of course).

Issues ... with ours the awning over the kitchen area leaves much to be desired (we have sorted out a solution), however they currently run a different setup to address this. We had a few water leak issues (courtesy of RSA) which have been sorted. The fridge slide wasn't up to the job ... sorted. AM radio aerial not good ... sorted.

Pros .... Very quick setup for the 2 of us (probably 5 mins with a beer handy). That's for a quick overnight without any awnings etc. If there's more than 2 and you need to run out the front bed, I guess you'd need to put your beer down and add 5-10 mins.

Excellent suspension. Tows very well on and off the road.

We don't regret our purchase at all.

AnswerID: 507548

Follow Up By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 19:55
thanks very much Rosco much appreciated it certainly seems to tick all the boxes for us.
cheers Joe
FollowupID: 784857

Follow Up By: Tony R7 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 23:41

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 23:41
Hi Rosco,
What was the fridge slide issue. I have a 490 also and don't like the way the kitchen has quite a lean on it when pulled all the way out. Did you have the same issue?
I'll be on the Gibb River Rd in June/July also - will keep an eye out for you.
Cheers,
Tony
FollowupID: 788009

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 29, 2013 at 14:31

Monday, Apr 29, 2013 at 14:31
G'day Tony

The fridge slide became corrugated along the bottom from sitting on the bearings whilst traversing rough roads.
It was replaced with a heavier one which solved the problem.

Regarding the lean, I think you'll find it's actually the coil spring on the pass side compressing under the extra load when the kitchen is extended. Remember the suspension is actually quite soft.

To overcome the problem we usually stop with the unit leaning slightly towards the driver's side, either due to cross-fall in the ground or we run it up onto a small ramp. Then when we extend the kitchen it levels out and there is no problem.

They have also introduced an additional support leg for the front pass corner which helps with the issue.
FollowupID: 788027

Follow Up By: robro - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:30
how did you fix the kitchen awning issue I'm struggling with it
Robro
FollowupID: 788114

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 21:41

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 21:41
G'day Robro

In the first instance we went to the canvas stitching man the Conqueror crowd use for various alterations e.g. changing the open weave mesh on the windows to proper midge proof screens.
We got him to adjust the front awning by inserting a post hole type opening in the correct position to accommodate the side spring bow from the fly over the front bed plus a couple of other similar holes such that we can run it out more or less as an annex extension, rather than hanging down as a wall.

This sounds more complicated than it actually is and more or less worked quite well.

Our second crack (happening as we speak), was to get from the boys a suitable sized piece of the same canvas. I have organised the canvas man to convert it to a straight and flat annex which we can extend out over the kitchen. This will be much simpler and also neater.

We have also installed at regular intervals (say about 300mm), those stay together clips .. like they use on boat canopies ... The pin with a little toggle on the end that goes through a hole on the other piece.

These were to reinforce the velcro only top joins.

A bit annoying to have to go through all this business, but it hasn't been enough of a pain to sour our original decision to buy.
FollowupID: 788121

Follow Up By: robro - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:54

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:54
thanks for the ideas
The awning is the weakest part of this rig. Doesn't drain water when it rains and with the kitchen wall can't open the fridge without a prop to hold it up.
Do you have excessive condensation on the inside of the canvas.We do. Can't cook breakfast without getting wet . Inside too but we may have sorted some by adding insulation to the roof.
We have had a few problems - rivets shearing off on solar panels, thread stripping on jockey wheel bolt and nut and also on the interior tie downs - too many corrugations and soft metal. And the outside bins filling up when it rains.
We are close to Brisbane and have spent a lot of time taking the van back.
Regards
Robro
FollowupID: 788143

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:08

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:08
Haven't had any issues with condensation, but we never have the front section over the fridge dropped down (if this relates to your query).
FollowupID: 788147

Reply By: spill999 - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:41

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:41
I bought the 490 Evolution about 12 months ago, to date I havent found the time for any serious trips but the short hops so far have confirmed it was a good choice.

I too experienced problems when delivered, Conqueror were quick to resolve all the issues but I still don't understand why pre-delivery quality checks fail to resolve them, and you can't blame RSA for the considerable work that is actually performed here, electronics etc.

It sure is a versatile unit and built tough.

I like the easy set up for an over nighter, the multiple sleeping configurations eg sleep 1 single, 2 singles, 1 double & 1 or 2 singles or 2 doubles. Plenty of storage.

AnswerID: 507667

Follow Up By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:47

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:47
thanks spill999 your comments are also appreciated, ps ( you don't want to sell do you?) ha ha there is a 7 month wait at the moment.
Regards, Joe
FollowupID: 784977

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:39

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:39
Gidday Joe

I too have a Conqueror UEV490 and have been on the road with it full time for 2 years now.

I have travelled across/through/over the full gambit of tracks and roads that a good off-road camper should be capable of and have had no issues at all

The ease of use - setting up camp either for a quick overnight or a longer stay is so quick and easy - I must also point out that I travel alone

Like one of the previous posters my UEV is one of the earlier units imported to Oz and I have had a couple of changes made to it after seeing the newer units which have some of these features already installed

Additional work includes:

1) Insulated roof
2) Permanently plumbed up hot and cold water to slide out sink
3) Removed solid solar panel from roof and replaced with the full roof flexible solar panel
4) Installed water level sensor in water tank

I have really put the UEV to the test having travelled to Cape york, Kimberley, Flinders and traversed Oz twice in that time with a large portion of that travelling been on either corrugated roads or off-road tracks

As for after sales support you will have to go a long way to find a group of people more helpful than those at Conqueror HQ in Brisbane - all the guys (and gal) who work their are friendly, helpful and professional - they listen to you and do what they promise.

I am currently back at Wagga (NSW - my 'home base') to catch up with friends and have a few beers and dinners and to get vehicle serviced before hitting the road again

Probabaly head south and do the Great Ocean Road then depending on weather will head over to Ceduna and across the Nullarbor to W.A or if it is wet and cold head up to the Flinders.

As you can probably tell by my post I am totally impressed and competely happy with my Conqueror and have no hesitation in recommending it

Hope to see you on the road in your Conqueror soon :-)))
AnswerID: 507734

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:45

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:45
Joe

Just had a thought - Opposite Lock are Conqueror Australia's sales/service people

Townsville OL might have a show unit?

Cherrs mate
FollowupID: 785023

Follow Up By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 07:44

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 07:44
Morning KiwiAngler, Many Thanks , amazing Photo's thanks for sharing them we have no doubts now. will lookout for you when we are on the road Safe Travelling.
Cheers Joe.
FollowupID: 785078

Follow Up By: robro - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:23

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:23
how did you plumb the water into the 490
What about the gas
Rob
FollowupID: 788112

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 21:05

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 21:05
I actually got the idea from a mate of mine who also has a 490 - Thanks John :-))

Basically just used the supplied hoses but cut into the water lines in the nose cone and drilled a couple of holes through the wall and rerouted water hoses into the fridge/freezer bay and then onto the fittings on the slide as normal - that way when I slide the fridge/freezer/sink unit out the water hoses are already connected - so much better than before

As for the gas it is as per supplied - I believe there are leagal reasons why the gas line cannot be hooked up permanently to the stove

Will be back on the road soon (been in Wagga the last few weeks) heading for the Great Ocean Road - hope to see you on the road

Cheers
K.A
FollowupID: 788117

Follow Up By: robro - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:00
Thanks for the ideas. Looked at doing the water but wasn't sure the hoses would fold back without kinking.
Followed your commentary and pictures on other sites before deciding to buy mine last year.
Have done one big trip through the centre - see my post earlier on this page - had some equipment failures.
Added an extended drawbar of their new design and a sturdier jockey wheel
Currently exploring a better matress configuration for the front bed which we like to use. Do you know of anyone who has modified the bedding.
Going across the top for a few months soon.........

Regards
Robro
FollowupID: 788144

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:18

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:18
Hey Robro

re hoses kinking when closing slide - neither mine nor my mates does this - the hoses are quick resilient in that regard

re the bed mods - my mate has had custom made inner sprung matresses made for the single beds - he doesnt use the front bed at all

He also made a small insert made using the same covering as his 2 single matresses to fit in the 'gap' that runs across the back of the unit between the 2 beds which looks pretty good and gives him more bed area

Cheers

FollowupID: 788150

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:36
I've been watching this thread with interest. A 490 is on the long term wishlist if we replace the Trak Shak (currently 3 kids who are still happy to camp - just). Thanks everyone for your comprehensive responses!

A "personal" question - where do/would you stow a PortaPotti? We rarely take one but sometimes it's necessary. I've made a box that goes where three jerry cans fit outside the Trak Shak. An equally convenient spot doesn't appear to exist on the 490.

Thanks,

Adrian
AnswerID: 510143

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 21:26

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 21:26
Hi Adrian

Currently in my 490 in Albany WA. First 2 week trip since picking it up in December.

Regarding where to put a porta potti - I am currently toying with the idea of pulling out the sink on the off side (for the "ensuite") and either putting a 2kva genset in their or a "porta potti" - both devices purely for the onboard nagivator .

I can't see that I will ever use it as an ensuite - will probably shower under the stars or use a pop up shower tent in mixed company. I can shave in a mug and so can the nagivator if she wants.

I did try to have it removed at purchase - which they were willing to do - but no $$$ discount.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 788216

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 22:19

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 22:19
Thanks Anthony.

I was thinking along the same lines - no need for the handbasin. However, is the space open to the kitchen? Also, if it's a common space, will the lid that opens to access the fridge allow smells to enter the camper? I really dislike the portapotti concept but there are places where it's a more convenient (or indeed only) option.

Adrian
FollowupID: 788224

Reply By: spill999 - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 22:28

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 22:28
Re: Porta Potti - I removed the steps from the shower side of the van and placed the throne there against the door (which I dont use), had a zippered canvas made to neaten it up. Never noticed any odours.

Also removed the spare basin from the side locker, there's an all up saving of 20-30kgs, made a box to fit the slide out and use this to store pots pans etc.

KA's mod above for the water hoses works fine, did this in my previous trailer never had kinks or issues.
Rgds ... Dave
AnswerID: 510278

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 23:21

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 23:21
Thanks Dave, that answers another question I had about the pots, camp oven etc.

Adrian
FollowupID: 788365

Sponsored Links