Toyota wheel spacers

Submitted: Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:27
ThreadID: 101292 Views:5817 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted wheel spacers to. Toyota 79 series ute I bought a set from snake racing on the net, they put the rear wheels in the same track as the front, they seem to work well has anyone had any issues with them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:45

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:45
bigfellabrian,

Try and get your money back. Not only can they put extra load on bearings they can also snap wheel studs.

They are only designed for off road use only, illegal on the road in all states of Australia. Insurance could also be a problem.

Wayne
AnswerID: 507580

Reply By: Patrol22 - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:49

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 21:49
Can't comment on their effectiveness but I do know that they are illegal in NSW..and may well be illegal in other jurisdictions as well.

Click here to see NSW Design Rules

Dot point on page 4 is relevant.
AnswerID: 507581

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:42

Monday, Mar 25, 2013 at 22:42
bigfellabrian

Until they break the wheel studs off, of course they will work well.

They will either hold the wheel on OR the wheel will come off when the studs break. It's either one or the other, no in betweens here.
It is just a matter of "when will they let go" is the RUSSIAN ROULETTE part.

Drive slow all the time and don't carry a load and it might be ok.

Did you realize they are illegal in all states before you bought them?

Some people say they are only for off road use, there are many places in the mountains I wouldn't like to lose a wheel cos it's a long way to the bottom.

Ross M
AnswerID: 507586

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 06:54

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 06:54
The snake racing ones are hub centric and are a double bolt system with new studs. The old spacers which threw the wheel further out on the same stud were the ones that did the damage. The snake ones are meant for racing on.
As for being illegal and placing (marginally) more pressure on wheel bearings - I concur. I ran them on a hilux for 200 000 kms for zero failed bearings, and a competition GQ ute for the same result.
If the tight wads at toyota had done 1/2 a job in the first place we wouldn't be having this debate. I'd be using them for sand work every time.
AnswerID: 507591

Follow Up By: SAW - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:08

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:08
Having had personal experience with these spacers breaking both the vehicle wheel studs, and the spacer wheel studs, I would not be running them on any vehicle.
FollowupID: 784888

Follow Up By: bigfellabrian - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:10

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:10
well i dont know now, if they are built for racing than surely doing old man speeds i will be right, anyway i will pull them off as i dont need any insurance issues in the event a lunatic pushs us off the road .
FollowupID: 784889

Reply By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 09:28

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 09:28
Hey there,

I have the same vehicle. I have travelled some 40,000 in the outback. This includes severe mud and deep sand.

The spacers are totally not needed. I have never experienced a problem with different track widths - ever!

Interestingly, if you get out of vehcile and look at the tyre tracks left you will notice that when you turn (even slightly) the rear tyres do follow the front. I think I would rather have this happening when turning than when in a straight line.

In short, dont do it - you will not even notice!

Cheers Paul
AnswerID: 507595

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:36

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:36
Hi Bigfellabrian,

You will get a number of responses to your query on the spacers. It was recommended to me to fit the spacers by a reputable 4WD store who has built up several 79 series Landcruisers, and I have driven my vehicle both with the spacers and without.

From my experience the spacers do marginally assist with the driving of the 'cruiser, but I'm sure there will be plenty who will choose to disagree. That's fine. Personally I think that Toyota made a silly decision back in 2007 when fitting the V8 motor to widen the front and leave the rear narrower.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 507608

Follow Up By: bigfellabrian - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:18

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 19:18
Thanks Geoff
I have seen some pretty abrupt responses from hen pecked gurus, I will go back to asking my shed full of Mondays experts now footy season is on.
No stress I admire your outlook and thanks again.
I am heading back up to the cape in July so we will see what happens then, I have more than enough tools and gear to get me out of trouble , just can't seem to catch a barra, my biggest goal in life since my kids went to boarding school.
Anyway talk later
FollowupID: 784936

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 23:03

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 23:03
The insurance assessor is looking at our car tomorrow. We damaged it in the bush. I was advised by the bloke who gave us a quote to make sure it's legal. We could be knocked back for anything illegal at all and it does not have to be associated with the damage.

Phil
FollowupID: 784953

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 01:28

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 01:28
Itsd been a long established principal that an insurance company "cant" use a defect to refuse a claim if it did not demonstrably cause or contribute to the accident. Otherwise a chipped windscreen, leaking oil filter or tiny bit of corrosion could be used to refuse any claim.
HOWEVER, once youve got to fight the insurance company over it, youve probably lost anyway even if you come out on top.

They will almost always try it on anyhow especially with younger or less experienced people
FollowupID: 784959

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:09

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:09
It comes back to money hey!

Luckily all I did was take out the shelf behind the driver and put the rear seats back in. Fifteen minutes. Guess I am a little practised at doing it. When my wife and I go away we take out the seats and put them in if the grandkids are coming.

Legal or established principle; either way it was easier to change it back.

Lets say, for argument sake, that the standard track is 1.5M and you stick some 25mm spacers in. That's a tiny 3.3% increase in track. Wow. I bet that will help a lot of cars not roll over. And what about the additional cornering stability; such an enormous gain - NOT.

I wonder if one would call me a "hen picked guru" because I don't approve of spacers just to get an inch or so of wider track. I don't agree with spacers unless you can get them approved by an engineer. Bugger the law. What's more important is car reliability in places like the Canning or the remote Vic High country

Phil
FollowupID: 784962

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:20

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013 at 22:20
Have a look at Mick O ' s blogs, there is one where he sheared the studs off on his 79
I don't think he runs them anymore
AnswerID: 507653

Sponsored Links