Koni shockers

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 14:18
ThreadID: 10132 Views:2200 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Before I go a shell-out a grand or so for 4 new Tough Dog Ralphs, I thought it might pay to pull my Konis off and see if I can adjust them up and see how much resistence they have to being pushed in and out by hand. They are over 3 years old and have been on the Patrol since new; 115,000klm. They are weeping oil, but with a big set of Lovells springs, I can't be sure that they're actually stuffed by using the old method of pushing down on the front mudguard and seeing if the body bounces. I've talked about this on a previous post and was reminded by some of you that the Konis are rebuildable. Only trouble with that is that I'd have to send them off to Melbourne to be re-built and I don't fancy driving 3 tonne of Pootrol around for 3 weeks with no shockers. So if I take them off, has anybody got any experience on how to adjust them?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8troopie - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 15:37

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 15:37
The Konis on my troopie are about 10 years old and do not weep any oil at all.
I had the front ones off recently to adjust them as per the original leaflet that came with them.
Do the adjustment with the bottom eye securely clamped in soft vice jaws.
You pull the top all the way out and push it back in to see if it travels smoothly.
Before its fully in start turning it clockwise until it 'engages' in the internal adjustment intends (you feel when that happens). There is 5 half turns of adjustment, turn it further clockwise (from the point of 'engagement') and count the half turns until you reach the stop - this is the setting they were at. Turn anticlockwise for the number of half turns you want to set them. The factory setting is 2 half turns back from fully clockwise. I adjusted mine 4 half turns back, there's a big diesel donk under the hood now. Make sure you adjust both shockies for the same setting and make sure you disengage the adjustment ( by pulling the top out a bit) before you start mounting them.
As far as I remember I left the rear koni settings as factory, I should pull the shocks and check them as well soon...
Klaus
AnswerID: 44851

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 15:49

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 15:49
Hi Roachie
This site gives you the information on how to adjust the Koni's, plus distributers Australia wide. They can then give you an accurate time to repair if necessary. 115000 is not much for them
link text
Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 44852

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:05

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:05
Klaus and Ray,

Thanks very much for that info. I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Missus reckons I spend more time under the truck than under her!! I'll tell her I'm adjusting the big red thing that goes in and out..LOL
Cheers,
Roachie (Whiskey 622)
FollowupID: 307010

Sponsored Links