Email Scammers - FedEx guise.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 17:41
ThreadID: 101353 Views:2290 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just in case.............I've had 3 emails today purporting to be from FedEx re missed parcel deliveries (nothing on order though :-o). I'm invited to hit a PRINT RECEIPT link - that same link in each email has a different address (presumably offshore).... I guess a click on that would burn me by some means or another.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 17:53

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 17:53
Me too. Getting at least one a day. Straight into my antispam older.

AnswerID: 507745

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 18:09

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 18:09
Darrian,
sorry I didn't see your post as I have just put one up myself.

Fedx problems have been round for awhile but this one is quite sophisticated.
AnswerID: 507751

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 20:07

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 20:07
There are heaps of scams that ask you to open an attachment.

There are also others where even previewing the email can infect your computer.

ISPs may try to filter these according to the preferences YOU specify in YOUR account, but many slip through.

An excellent defence is an email filtering program that allows you to see your emails on your ISP's email server and evaluate them BEFORE you download them to your computer. You can read the text that tries to suck you in and mark any that are sus for deletion AT THE SERVER, so they never get to your computer. One such program (there may be others) also allows you, with one click, to report a spam to a central database. When the database gets enough reports from worldwide you will never see that sender again.

The program I use is Mailwasher from a kiwi outfit here.

It is excellent and worth your consideration. I've been using it for years and recommend it.

No affiliation, etc, etc. Just a very satisfied customer.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507760

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:05

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:05
Going to answer Phil who replied to my post that has been locked because of duplication.

No this was not easy to pick up as included in the mail was, who we had ordered from + their name and email address. We actually were expecting a parcel. Also a con note number.

I baulked because it shouldn't have been Fedex as it was local.

AnswerID: 507764

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:11

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:11
Which Phil?

No worries. At least you noticed the problem. It really pays to be suspicious doesn't it.

We never open attachments from anyone other than someone we know for a start. That's a no brainer. If you have the skills you can use the email properties and header information to see who the email is actually from. But you need some technical internet addressing knowledge to do this. My work in the past did teach me something after all.

If my memory serves me correctly tracking numbers are not usually given as links. Even if they are we copy them, then go through our browser directly to the couriers site (don't use any link in an email) and enter them ourselves. This gets rid of any evil link under the tracking number or the "go to here to check the status" type of link in the fake email.

I don't trust anyone with my wallet why trust emails from strangers.

Least of all anyone with ape in their name!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 785132

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:38

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:38
Yep! Yep! right Phil.

I just cracked up when I read the last bit of your reply.

Have a good one,
RA. My knuckles are hurting again from dragging in the dirt.
FollowupID: 785145

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 00:33

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 00:33
FYI: there are at least 300 known scams listed on WA ScamWatch website, internet based ones abound, especially email based. add to this: fake bank sites, skimming devices, identity theft , lucky lotto numbers, nokia fake winner text message... you have won a $million , 'friends' on social media sites and so on......the crims are very smart now, even can sell your home and $ goes to geuss where..Nigeria for one.
its getting common for them to piggy back using info from some transaction youve done recently and its then easier to get trapped.
personally, i dont keep any pers info on PC, no banking and so on as some trojans can get past AVirus as happened to me once. theres also cold callers ( one was PC Doctor) who says you have a problem with your computer and they can fix it...yeh, sure!
all your pers info accessed, accounts raided, PC trashed and it costs you about $200 US up front! report the emails as phishing or fraudulent to authorities for a start.
look out potential victims!
MG.
AnswerID: 507837

Sponsored Links