toyota 75 emergency brake

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 20:40
ThreadID: 101356 Views:2757 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The drum brake is less than adequate. My wife cannot pull the lever hard enough to hold the Troopy on a slight hill. The Toyota mechanics at the shop tell me it is a difficult thing to set either to tight [rubbing] or to loose. I see the there are drive shaft and transfer case brake kits for smaller Toyota vehicles. Has any body solved the problem with a similar solution?
Abqaiq
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 20:55
Mate,
I never ever had a problem with my old 75 series drum braked troopy. Now the later disc/ drum brake was a problem to the point where I worked, they went to failsafe brakes many years ago. Big bucks.

Simple fix that costs nothing. Park with steer wheels into the gutter and in first gear with the handbrake on. Failing that rest the bulbar on a tree. Cheap and effective.
AnswerID: 507763

Reply By: den57 - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:08
This may be the solution you are after. Price may be a problem. I guess a quick email will let you know if it is worth it.
Den and Col

http://www.gearingdynamics.com.au/Heavy-Duty-Brake-Upgrade-for-Toyota-Landcruiser
AnswerID: 507765

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:23

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 21:23
Many a Toyota suffers this problem, on my tours and in my training sessions, adjustment seems to be required often, but not heard that it is particularly difficult to do, just needs redoing often.
AnswerID: 507768

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 22:43

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 22:43
I have a very heavy 79 series with the drum/disc combo. I had an issue with the hand brake as well in that it never seemed to be effective. The Toyota Mechanics adjusted the cable in the cab several times but not once did they bother to remove the rear wheels and check the brake shoe adjustment within the drum. I do this myself now via the inspection port. Remove the wheel and ensure that it's out of gear and the hand brake is off (chock the other wheels for safety). You'll find the adjustment wheel is usually visible with the port at 6 o'clock (at the bottom). With a blade screwdriver, feel for the adjustment wheel inside and flick the wheel upwards. Occasionally try and spin the wheel hub. When you cannot spin it, ease the adjustment wheel carefully downwards until the hub is just free again. That should be about right.

I find the quality of mechanical service and expertise in the big dealers these days is often inadequate to say the least. It's all about pumping them through for the standard service dollars. Real skills seem to be going out the door.

Before you spend a fortune on a new braking system, try this. You may be pleasantly surprised.Mine works a treat now.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507775

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 23:13

Thursday, Mar 28, 2013 at 23:13
The website listed previously is what I am looking for, email gone to them already.

I have to agree that service at the dealers is hit and miss. I use two Toyota master mechanics working in their own shop. They know the vehicles. Awhile back I had a fuel pump failure which is $$$ and time expensive. We rolled the Troopy into the back lot and they said, "Uncle Tim you a can pull a wrench like us, have at it. The books there and we're here to help." So I learned how to it and saved two days labor. Am not related to either of them but that's the kind of people it is a pleasure to work with.

I have traveled the deserts of Saudi for 30 years. We always try to fix our own and carry spare parts and the tools for the job. Take a traditional fuel pump for example. Go buy a new one with gaskets and replace the one that took you to town. Does the new one fit and do you have the tools to do the job -now is the time to find out. Put the 'old' one in double plastic bags in a coffee can in the parts box and never take those tools into the house.

Thanks for the responses and the lead.
FollowupID: 785063

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 00:11
You mean you actually got underneath your truck!!
I'm amazed young Michael, didn't know you could actually bend over far enough to get on the ground :)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785070

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:06

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:06
You have me confused with someone else it seems! Abqaiq
FollowupID: 785071

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:23

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:23
No mate, comment was directed to Mick O :))

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785072

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 00:33

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 00:33
Its not an issue. Just park it up in 1st or reverse. If its a steep hill put it in low range.
Hanbrake in my 80 hasnt worked for years
AnswerID: 507780

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:59

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:59
Toyota hand brakes are known to be a problem.

But like so many things, how many people go thru the whole system and make sure its all running smooth and all the adjustments are done in order.

If one of the cables is dry or worn, a pivot is stiff, a roller is gummed and the brakes themselves are not propelry adjusted.....things may not go so well.

MY XF falcon was almost impossible to pull the hand brake on hard enough...once I pulled the hand brake mechanism out from under the dash, cleaned & greased it...things improved dramaticaly....a bit of attention to some of the bits underneath and it could not have been better....the whole exercise cost me only some time and a little grease and oil.

Try this first.

The problem with transfer case mounted hand brakes is they do nothing if ya tail shaft fails....that is why they went out of vogue.

A mate of mine was driving a truck, when the tail shaft dropped out.......no, hand brake no drive, putting it in gear does nothing.....he just had to sit there standing on the foot brake till someone found something large to put under the wheels.

think about it.

cheers
AnswerID: 507836

Sponsored Links