Restricted turning circle

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:08
ThreadID: 101365 Views:4849 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I have a Nissan Patrol GU wagon. I noticed yesterday that I had a larger than normal turning circle turning right. On inspection I found the turning stop adjuster bolt on the left side had came loose and was nearly backed all the way out. I re-tightened the bolt with about 6mm of thread showing , which is the same as the right turning stop setting.
I have two questions, firstly what is the correct way to adjust those turning stop adjuster bolts?
And secondly, had the turning stop adjuster bolt fell out what damage if any would have been done?

Thanks in advance, Cheers Pete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: phil300 - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:31

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:31
Hi Pete,

I would screw the bolt all the way in then with the front wheels off the ground go to full lock then take the bolt out till it takes the load. You don't want the steering box to take the load when on full lock that is why the bolt is there.

If the stop is not there when on full lock all the load is on the stop in the box could be hard on it,like if you hit a kerb when on full lock. When not on full lock your arms are the shock absorbers.
AnswerID: 507789

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:50

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:50
Just be aware that the CV joints in the front hubs won't last long if they are working beyond their designed angular limits.
A bigger turning circle places less stress on these joints so don't wind the stops in too far.

Disco.
FollowupID: 785088

Reply By: Homebrewer - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15
Thanks very much fellas, that's exactly the information that I was seeking.

Cheers Pete.
AnswerID: 507795

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:26

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:26
Um some vehicles if you adjust your turning stops with the weight off the wheels they will be wrong.

either way...when you adjust best to check them with the vehicle on the ground and with it jacked.

The primary function for steering stops is to prevent the tyres fouling on the body work or chasis components.

I doubt very much that there would be any possible damage to CVs if the steering stops where not correctly adjusted....the most likley thing is chopping the edges of the tyres up or damaging body work.

Its another one of those things that is often, never properly adjusted from the day the car was assembled....they should be checked with every wheel alignment...but they mostly are not.

If you want the best possible turning circle, the steering stops should be adjusted with every change of tyre type.

If you fit wider and more agressive tyres it is likely that they will foul on something of the stops are not adjusted.

Its one of those things that I always check when I get a new to me used car.

On a couple of ocasions I have picked up feet of turning circle...even if yo can pick up 6 inches of circle, it can mean the difference between getting arround and not.

cheers
AnswerID: 507833

Sponsored Links